some guys throw away money...

schmalts

Man, i went to the range the other day and this guy was shooting 4 Weatherby's. He was tossing his brass in the range brass bucket and i asked him if i could have it and he said sure. He shot a whole box of Weatherby 257mag, 3/4 box of 378, 3/4 box of 340mag, and 11 shots of 416 weatherby.
I listed the 257 on gunbroker yesterday with a buy it now of 20$ and it didn't last an hour.
The 416 is up to $10.00
I didn't list the other stuff yet. This guy was tossing gold in the garbage!

Must be a nice problem to have. The extravegant brass prices are something that has always held me back when I've considered buying a Weatherby.

Back when I was shooting IPSC (auto pistols) The local cops would use our range for practic. They would leave thousands of .40 S&W laying around. I picked up so much that I finally got myself a Para .40.
Once my cop friends knew I had a .40, they started leaving 1/2 full boxs of ammo.

Tone, there's a way to beat the costly Weatherby ammo price stigma. Do what I do: reload. I agree: Weatherby charges a king's ransom for their loaded ammo -stupid expensive, really.
My .300 hasn't had a single factory round fired through it's barrel ever... all handloads.You can find cases (20 count) for both the .257 and the .300 for sale between $15 and (more likely) $20. Even cheap-butt me can cough up $1 per case when I really need them. IMR 7828 makes bullets go fast -and appears to be the most accurate in both of my rifles.
Schmalts, ya stuck gold...

I think I've only shot 4 boxes of factory centerfire ammo ever! Just too expensive and handloading's just too fun. About the only cartridges of Roy's that I'd like to try are the .257 and the 375. The rest have too many very popular/common rounds that'll do just as well...

DD,

I already reload everything I shoot. I really think I've maybe shot one box of centerfire factory loads ever and that was just to get the brass. Weatherby brass is just spendy.

Gotcha Tone. The .257 Wby is one of my favorites. Recently I sold my .257 Vangard to pay off some expenses. Trust me -as soon as I can afford it I'll buy another rifle in .257.
True, Weatherby cartridges aren't the last word in performance and there's a lot of other good chamberings around. They're worth it if that's what someone really wants.

Sweeeet , score 14 more of the 416, and 13 300Roy today at the range. This dude has been doing lots of shootin!

schmalts is down to bragging about dumpster diving spent brass,as it is a FAR safer approach than musing rifles.

Incredibly hilarious!.......................

'Tone,

Roy's chamberings,much trump his rifles(save the dual locking lug VG's).

Easy to yield Wby hulls,via ubiquitous H&H manipulations,save the 224,240 and stuff on the 378. Most Wby hulls are very soft,suffer poor QC and bottom rung fodder. The 257 is my favorite,though the 300 and 340 are exceptional.

700 based of course.......................

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OR-rosie
Back