Caribou Gear

some gear advice needed

oldman357

I put in for a Deer and Cow Elk permit in unit 17 here in New Mexico (rifle or muzzleloader). I'm planning on hiking in deep and camping, my buddy who i used to hunt with has left the state so i'm on my own. I'm downgraded the tent to a bivy and lightened my gear otherwise, although the bivy is great i'm really looking forward to getting in deep. I have to say I'm worried about my rifle, usually my rifle always stays in the tent in the bivy there is no room for Mr. rifle.

I did a little google and came up with this I like the idea of a soft sided water proof(ish) gun case, both of my guns are blue with wood so protecting them is important.

anyone have any experience with this case or something like it that will fit my needs in this situation?

Thanks guys!

I'd buy an ultra-light tarp to pitch over your bivy.

Once you get comfortable with the tarp, you'll start leaving the bivy at home...

The scabbard looks pretty bulky. If you just need night-time gun protection from the dew/frost/snow or an overnight shower, look into making one from a piece of Tyvek. It's very cheap and lightweight and would fold up neatly. There is a You-Tube video of a guy making a bivy bag out of tyvek, you could do the same thing in a smaller version of course. You could also make a tarp from the same material, just fold and sew the edges and put in some grommets.
Start watching at 8:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLiWs

Last edited:
Something else you might consider, if you are worried about moisture, is a desiccant packet or two. Most camera stores will have them. Put one in whatever case you use to keep your rifle in. Should prevent any rust spots starting.

I've never taken a rifle inside a tent, usually it hangs on a tree limb close by. If you're worried about it getting hurt by a little water/rain while you sleep, what happens when you're awake? Oil and/or wax it and don't fret. I hunt blue/wood quite a bit and don't lose any sleep as it sits in the rain for days. I usually take a few oiled patches to wipe it down from time to time if I'm on extened hunts.

The absolute worst thing you could do, is put a rifle in a plastic bag. It will start the rusting process about 10x faster than in the elements. You're much better off leaving it out where air can get to it.

The second worst thing you could do is take a cold rifle in a hot tent. If its sub zero, you're asking for a frozen bolt.

IMO a rifle is a tool not a toy that needs to be babied. I take care of them so they function and nothing more. Dinged wood means it gets used. :D

Just us a simple trash bag but put a rag in a Ziploc bag and cover it in solvent/rust prevent and wipe gun down at least daily.

The tarp is great if good with weight but I use a extra ultra light footprint for my 2 man tent weighs couple ounces and covers a decent area and keeps a lot of water off tent/bivey/sitting area and if storm rolls thru you will be glad. Just some ideas...
Chris

My gun is rather ugly, but I would just hang it in a tree. Unless it's really blowing or raining hard it shouldn't get too wet.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back