solution to loading without drilling?

nhenry

I lost my drafting/reloading table in my move 6 months ago. Still very devastated at that.

I haven't had the space for a new desk or anything, and I obviously can't drill holes in my bar counter (wife would kill me), so does anyone have a solution to this predicament?

I've thought about c clamps and a piece of wood, but I don't know how sturdy it'd be.

What say you?

I’ve used a black and decker workmate with my press mounted to a 2x6 clamped in it. Worked great.

Yep. This. Attach the press to a big block of lumber & clamp it down to your work surface. The other option would be to string a few 2x4's together with some all-thread and create a large butcher block type of top that can clamp down, giving you a lot more bearing surface for better rigidity.

clamps will work...be sure that they don't dig into the tabletop/bartop otherwise you'll be in the doghouse.

I use the inlinefabrication mounts and just have them c clamped to the table. I have not decide exactly how I want everything.
C clamps hold everything perfect. Inline are a little speedy but do work well.

My buddy had a press dedicated to each caliber he reloaded. Each press was mounted on a nice piece of oak, and he used c-clamps to attach them to his dinner table or island counter. It worked very well for him.

Full disclosure, he is a bachelor.

I lost my drafting/reloading table in my move 6 months ago. Still very devastated at that.

I haven't had the space for a new desk or anything, and I obviously can't drill holes in my bar counter (wife would kill me), so does anyone have a solution to this predicament?

I've thought about c clamps and a piece of wood, but I don't know how sturdy it'd be.

What say you?
I used to clamp my press to the eating bar in our kitchen with a piece of wood and c clamps. Only when the wife wasn't home. Sized up to RUM brass with no problems. mtmuley

Would something like a tri-pod chain vise suit your needs? Could mount your press to it then fold up and out of the way when not using it.
too pricey for my blood. I really liked that hint about the black and decker workmate. Harbor freights has one I can at least try out for 20 bucks and I can modify the top so that it's solid. It'll fold away and be handy.

I would mount an inline fabrication plate into a piece of wood like the maple countertops you can get at Home Depot. Then I’d clamp that whole thing on top of the work space and change out tools using the inline mounting plates for different tools.

I have a quick change plate (for my press) mounted to a piece of 2x10. I put a hand towel under it and use a pair of deep f-style clamps with good rubber pads to clamp to a bench at the range and our cabin countertop when I need to load on the fly. Plenty of stability and haven’t seen a mark yet.

Back