Solo cow elk hunt

So awesome. Great shooting. Hauling out an elk, even a cow, is quite the task solo. I had to do it last year. Thank for the write up!

Packing solo is impressive, more so taking it apart solo, them legs are big to manipulate alone

Opening day was here! It had rained on and off throughout the night. The morning was overcast and as the sun rose a slight fog set in. I made my way to my most promising glassing spot where I had spotted the spike the evening prior.
As the sun rose I glassed intently searching for any sign of feeding elk. 30 minutes in... nothing. Where were they?
I hear a high pitched bugle to the west of me. I listen for an answer... nothing. 3 minutes passes and another Bugle sounds off. The same pattern repeats a few times from the same spot. Has to be a hunter right?
I glass for a little while longer but I am seeing nothing and my curiosity is peaked. I pack up my tripod and binos and head up the ridge to scoot over to the next finger and see what is going on.

Last week I embarked on a solo hunt for cow elk in WY. I got the truck all packed up and left on Wednesday morning. I split up the drive from AZ to WY and stopped overnight on some BLM land just north of Moab UT outside of Arches National Park. The place was packed! So much "Van Life" happening here.
Thursday I completed my drive and arrived to my unit. The season would not open until the next day.
On my way into the unit, I saw 2 other camps. Looked promising for low pressure. I found a nice little spot to set up camp and set out to check out some glassing points I e-scouted. It was still midday so I really didn't expect to see anything moving around. Glassed up a coyote right away at the first spot. Each finger ridge I hiked down had tons of tracks and sign. I was getting pretty pumped. Once prime evening time hit I glassed up my first elk.
Awesome story, I’m also from Arizona and have my first bull elk tag next week, I can’t wait!!! Congrats awesome pictures

You are welcome in my camp anytime CK. Looks like you'll pull your weight and you bring good beer. I'm a fan of the ol' headshot when practical. Story reads like a textbook DIY adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back