Solo cow elk hunt

CouesKelly

Last week I embarked on a solo hunt for cow elk in WY. I got the truck all packed up and left on Wednesday morning. I split up the drive from AZ to WY and stopped overnight on some BLM land just north of Moab UT outside of Arches National Park. The place was packed! So much "Van Life" happening here.
Thursday I completed my drive and arrived to my unit. The season would not open until the next day.
On my way into the unit, I saw 2 other camps. Looked promising for low pressure. I found a nice little spot to set up camp and set out to check out some glassing points I e-scouted. It was still midday so I really didn't expect to see anything moving around. Glassed up a coyote right away at the first spot. Each finger ridge I hiked down had tons of tracks and sign. I was getting pretty pumped. Once prime evening time hit I glassed up my first elk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-144309_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-144309_Gallery.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 43
Opening day was here! It had rained on and off throughout the night. The morning was overcast and as the sun rose a slight fog set in. I made my way to my most promising glassing spot where I had spotted the spike the evening prior.
As the sun rose I glassed intently searching for any sign of feeding elk. 30 minutes in... nothing. Where were they?
I hear a high pitched bugle to the west of me. I listen for an answer... nothing. 3 minutes passes and another Bugle sounds off. The same pattern repeats a few times from the same spot. Has to be a hunter right?
I glass for a little while longer but I am seeing nothing and my curiosity is peaked. I pack up my tripod and binos and head up the ridge to scoot over to the next finger and see what is going on.

I make way over to the next finger over and start slowly moving along the ridge. Soon the source of the bugles comes into view. A nice 6 pt bull is broadcasting from across the drainage. I watch him for a while hoping for some cows to appear. He moves further down into the drainage and he moves out of view. I move further along the ridge and try to keep cover behind trees. Suddenly I
I see a group of cows at 570 yards. I get that rush of excitement at finding what I am looking looking for so soon. I take a few breaths a calm myself. Game on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-144139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-144139_Gallery.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 60
The cows are feeding to the south away from me. I check the wind. Not the best, I'll have to stay north of them and follow as they feed away. I drop back behind the other side of the ridge out of sight and start to stalk south parallel in thier direction. I cover about 200 yards and peak over. They are at 450. Back over the other side and try to close the distance. I pop back over again and don't see them right away. I glass for a few minutes and spot them bedded in some trees. 320 yards. Perfect I can take my time. I search for a good shooting position where I can get a good shot angle and view of a cow. I spot a likely target where she is lying with her vitals in full view. I find a perfect spot to set up. Range 308 yards. Dial in my scope and get comfortable. I realize although I have a great shot at her vitals, her head is behind some brush. My tag is only good for a cow or calf. Her body color is the darker brown of a cow but I need to be sure. I get up and sneak around a few trees to see if I can get in view of her head. I hear hoof beats from behind me.... oops I just jumped a raghorn who seemed to have the same idea I had in spying on the heard. He trots off but the cows don't seem to care and keep on snoozing. Ok... cow confirmed 👍 back to my rifle. At this point the cow has now turned her head into view and is laying with her head across the middle of her body. Well this wasn't a shot I had contemplated beforehand. I figured I could take the head shot and if the bullet over penetrates or if I miss the head it would still be a vitals shot although a bit further back. I am laying prone, steady my rifle, breathe in, half breath out, squeeze the trigger. It was like I hit the off switch. She stayed in her bed and was motionless. The rest of the heard stood up and moved off. I knew I don't need to wait long but I checked a few times in my binos to make sure.
I packed up my rifle and pack and headed across the drainage.
The headshot didn't even over penetrate into the body. The blood you can see on her side was only from her head. Now to get to work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-204514_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-204514_Gallery.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot_20211011-143846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-143846_Gallery.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 174
Part of the reason I went with a cow tag on this hunt was because I knew it would likely be a solo hunt. I've packed out deer on my own but an elk would be a new challenge. I chose the spot and unit based on knowledge that I could likely find elk close to a road. I was about a mile away from the truck. I use the gutless method and get the elk quartered, backstraps, tenderloins, and as much neck, flank and rib meat I can. All the meat is hung and cooling in the trees. It is actually pretty cool and getting windy as more rain seems to be threatening to come in. I took 5 trips in and out with some nice up and down hill slogs in there. I was beat after it all but feeling accomplished. Photo was taken when I loaded up my last quarter. Time for a beer!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-144031_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-144031_Gallery.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20211011-143922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-143922_Gallery.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 113
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member