Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Snowshoes

I really dislike wearing them and only do when there's no other good option, namely during spring bear.
If you need them to be light, Northern Lights. If you need them to be high performing on complex snow/snice slopes, the higher end Atlas'. If you need them to survive a bunch of abuse (constantly on/off of snow and mud, rocks, etc.) I like the solid deck MSR's. Overall Atlas is probably the best thing going in an all around mountain snowshoe IMO.

the plastic MSR's with the climbing assist bar. I've did a few winter summits with them back in college. If you're only going a flatish ground you can get by with a lot cheaper ones though.

I too have MSR's and really like them a lot. They have simple bindings that work very well and are simple to use with gloves and cold hands. Get a really good pair of trekking poles with the baskets on the bottom for snow.

Reactions: Guy
Also - depending on your weight (I normally run around 230) - the Atlas may be a better option. I've got a set of MSR's, with a optional "tail" you can put on - and it adds about 8". I really need to have mine on all the time (especially if you throw 30 or 40 lbs in a backpack) in the late fall / winter. Spring snow or hard-crusty pack I can get by without the tails.

My brother has some Atlas - and the flotation is better. They are also quieter in the snow. On cold, clear days the MSR ones can be pretty loud. So if you are hunting off them, Atlas is the better option all around.

Anybody got tips on snowshoes? Never used them before. Thanks

I'm on them two or three times a week, all winter. Just did 4 miles earlier today. These days I'm using MSR's. These newer shoes are just terrific! Light. Great bindings. Excellent traction.

Started out back in the 1970's with a pair of wood & rawhide 10x56" shoes - I've maintained them and repaired them over the years and still have them. They need a new pair of bindings right now. Wonderful for deep, soft snow.

Good boots, gaiters, ski poles or trekking poles help. Often I'll just use one pole, keeping one hand free. I've used snowshoes a fair bit while hunting as well. Enjoy!

Guy

MSR’s are great if you like heavy overpriced snowshoes. Same for atlas. Northern lites are much lighter for the same price, and if you’re dealing with rocky or icy terrain they have options for that as well. But if you use them once a year like most people you probably won’t give a crap. Depending on the winter and spring, I will put on 50-250 miles in a season.

I might away toward a lower end product since my first experience with new types of equipment usually lead me to another purchase later, after I gain more knowledge/experience.

I have hiked on snowshoes for more decades than I care to admit. I have killed deer and caribou while hunting on snowshoes. If you are just hiking, the newer plastic & aluminum snowshoes are great. If you are hunting, the old wood & rawhide is much quieter.

MSR’s are great if you like heavy overpriced snowshoes. Same for atlas. Northern lites are much lighter for the same price, and if you’re dealing with rocky or icy terrain they have options for that as well. But if you use them once a year like most people you probably won’t give a crap. Depending on the winter and spring, I will put on 50-250 miles in a season.
I like heavy overpriced everything so it works out. :)

We have both Atlas and Tubbs - I prefer Atlas, my wife prefers Tubbs. Make sure you get the right size for the full weight (including outerwear and gear) you will be carrying. Most manufacturers will have a table. If you are in between sizes, go down if you are in shallow snow or heavy packed snow area and go up a size if more powdery and deeper. I've seen folks trying to go with full packs on snowshoes that were purposely downsized by the manf. for trail "running" - it doesn't work well as you can guess.

I like heavy overpriced everything so it works out. :)
I know you don’t, and I actually do like the grip that the msr lightning ascent offers. But when you’re as scrawny as me, you just want whatever is lightest. The northern lites aren’t perfect. They’re loud on snow, and the grip could be better, perhaps the predator models would be better. In eastern central Wyoming though, they’re great. If I had to go straight up and down like in the greys or salt range I might change my mind. Hard to say.

I agree they’re probably the best snowshoe going for mileage in pure snow. I end up leaving mine on for short stretches of mud/rock/dirt in the spring to avoid taking them on and off a ton; which I would feel bad about subjecting Northern Lites to.

@wyoboypt I’m also sure you do more snowshoe miles than I do annually, so I get the weight savings are a big plus.

I have a pair of northern lights and really like them. They’ve held up well for over a decade and are easy to strap to a lot of different boots.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back