Caribou Gear

Snowshoeing

Southern Elk

I bought a pair of snowshoes and I’m looking to get out to do a little exploring. I’ve never used snowshoes before. Any tips on what to do or not to do? What kind of terrain do you look for? What do you carry with you? Anything else I should know?

Great fun.
Trekking poles a must.
I would adjust the straps to one pair of boots .I always got annoyed readjusting to other boots.
Hint: you can access ALOT of great fishing in the valley on snowshoes, that most people wont post hole to in waders.
So I suppose you will need to tweak the straps for wading boots.

Great fun.
Trekking poles a must.
I would adjust the straps to one pair of boots .I always got annoyed readjusting to other boots.
Hint: you can access ALOT of great fishing in the valley on snowshoes, that most people wont post hole to in waders.
So I suppose you will need to tweak the straps for wading boots.
They came with a set of poles. I never even thought about using them for fishing.

Reactions: Hem
Had to give up skiiing - when I went last a couple of years ago, it took me three weeks to be able to walk up stairs "normal" again. Took up snowshoeing, using the bent wood and rawhide kind, with a candlewick binding. Finally gave up on the candlewick for ratchet bindings, will mount them on a second pair that I have.

I love snowshoeing. It beats skiing for me because I like the pace, and I can take my Airedales and Ratdawg. Ratdawg is smart enough to let me break trail for him in fresh snow, so even the fresh stuff works well for him.

Since my shoes are wood/rawhide, I have to pretty much pray for fresh snow - the crusty stuff is hard on the finish and wears on the rawhide. With the modern shoes like you have, I think you are able to be out there more than me. Being able to travel in snow too deep for walking is a great help in enjoying your woods in conditions where you otherwise would be at home tossing wood in the fireplace.

I would recommend local practice the first couple of times. I am older, and not very flexible, so getting in and out of the bindings proves to be the biggest challenge for me. You might be able to graduate to walking without trekking poles, but I have found that the little bit extra I get with regard to balance is worth it - easier to stay upright than to get up from the divot you make when you lose balance and fall.

You will enjoy your 'shoes!

You probably need to work on your form. First, find someone that can video you, then find some deep snow. Between knee and thigh deep is good. Now take a few steps backwards into the deep snow and post the resulting videos so we can give you some tips on form.

That, and look up avalanche terrain traps and you're probably good to go.

What are good snow shoes for cross country travel?
My Atlas snowshoes gave up the ghost after 20 years. Their CS is non-existent. Having said that, I would buy another pair.
They were my starter pair and it's probably time to step up in quality next buy.

Make sure you get something with an ice cleat. Hard spring snow can turn into a ski/skate session without.

Back