Caribou Gear

Snowshoeing

I used to work wearing them all winter. We were carrying up to 50lb loads, but even with no extra weight I'd never want under a 34" snowshoe. I know people use them on packed trails where just about anything would work, but off trail you want some floatation or your doing a lot more work. As a crew of 4 we'd switch off who went first every quarter mile. We were 100 ft off a surveyed line so distance was easy to keep track of.

For up and down, across creeks, through the trees and brush, they were the best. With skis you can triple the distance but that's on trails. They issued us Sherpa Snow Claws which are now a thing of legend and no longer made, I'm sure there is similar. Those Canadians always seem up on things snow related, they all live in igloos after all.

I've heard these are what people buy these days https://www.irlsupplies.com/0/product.htm?pid=97581&cat=5846 set you back $500 with bindings. We used to abuse ours pretty bad, young guys out in the snow all day. Front flips off cornices were the only thing that would cause binding failure. The laces never seemed to break.

Enjoy.

How does the shape of the shoe affect use on different terrain?

Wider tend to help float more especially on deep powder.

The biggies will be do you have rotating bindings for up or down hill. Crampons for snow or ice.

Tails tend to track better over bear paws. Tails make it harder to turn around too.

I do more off trail stuff so sized for weight is more critical which means they are much larger than most people get.

One thing we like to do when snowshoeing is drag a couple of sleds the first ¼ mile or so, ditch them in the woods while we continue our trek,, and then sled back to the trailhead on the trip back. Makes us 40 somethings laugh like a couple of school kids on the way back out, it's a lot of fun

One thing we like to do when snowshoeing is drag a couple of sleds the first ¼ mile or so, ditch them in the woods while we continue our trek,, and then sled back to the trailhead on the trip back. Makes us 40 somethings laugh like a couple of school kids on the way back out, it's a lot of fun
My daughter and I did that on Sunday. Unfortunately the trail breaking was WAY worse than I anticipated so we didn't make it that far (1/2' crust then sinking in 18"). The crust wasn't strong enough to hold me, so my daughter got to sled out, while I jogged in snowshoes trying to keep up (but failing... and falling).

I spent the last two days bumming around after bison in shoes. Mostly off trail, some on our own track on the way back. Big is nice for floating, no doubt. However, navigating in brush and timber where you're not just cruising consistent powder there can be a benefit to a more nimble shoe. I left my tail extensions off both days. It cost me at times compared to the other guys on 30" and 34", but there were plenty of times I was far better off when it came down to getting from point A to point B across mixed garbage.

Ideally you'd have a couple different pairs of snowshoes. I generally dislike snowshoeing, and most years I only use them for spring bear; and then depending on the drainage and year. For spring the floatation matters less, and navigating mixed terrain matters more. That and them being able to survive patches of rocky trail between big deep stretches.

Love snowshoeing. Wish we had some snow to justify pulling them out.
Super secret pro tip: they're life changing for late season pheasant hunting. Perfect for traversing to and through cattail sloughs blown full of snow. I know folks that use them for predator hunting as well to hike in to their set ups.

First thing I do with new snowshoes is always to test out the footwear I will be wearing and see if it fits properly in the harness. Last thing you want is to go out on a hike with your wife and the cute boots she wants to wear which are "totally fine" are too narrow/small to fit properly in the snowshoe harness and she ends up tripping and falling all the time.

Like any winter sport, layers are a must. Snowshoeing is still more physically demanding than walking and you will start sweating FAST if you don't dress properly.

I have nothing that is currant.
My last set of shoes were ash & rawhide and I used an ice axe. We snow camped in the Sierra's.
I did use a friends Tubbs,12 years ago.

Learned something yesterday… get some ski poles if you plan to go in deep powder..regular poles don't help at all if it’s 4 feet of white stuff.

There is definitely a learning curve..

Learned something yesterday… get some ski poles if you plan to go in deep powder..regular poles don't help at all if it’s 4 feet of white stuff.

There is definitely a learning curve..
Yeah, you definitely need snow baskets on your poles.

I've put a lot of miles on snowshoes over the years for work. 30" is a good all around size for my weight (175) during mid winter, but smaller shoes are nice to have for spring conditions, steeper terrain, or thick brush. I prefer Atlas (or Sherpa, which are no longer made) for mid-winter and MSR for spring time.

That said, I vastly prefer skis for covering miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back