Snowden traitor or patriot?

sweetnectar

Based on what you know, would you say Edward Snowden is a traitor or a patriot?
Now I know your opinions can change as more information comes out...what do you think?

Complicated thing to answer for sure. I get what he was trying to do, but ultimately it wasn't in the best interest of this country as far as I'm concerned. Traitor.

I want to believe he's a patriot, but it's getting tougher and tougher to view him as a one when he says he only took the job to gather NSA secrets and then hides out in countries like China and Russia, where no doubt, he is sharing everything he knows with foreign agents.

This one's easy....traitor.

Isn't the whole thing a redux of, well, just about every admin's, snooping? Oh, that's right, Obama was gonna clean up all that, you know, the change, hope, and transparency thing.

Patriot in my opinion. I'm sure he gave info to other countries but it sounds like that was more due to saving his on a$$ from the U.S. and it probably would have be released to the world shortly anyway. I believe our gov't has way to much power/authority and abuses it way to much, not just federal, but state/local too. Everyone knows the famous saying, "People should not be afraid of their government; governments should be afraid of their people" which I believe originally was from Jefferson then used in a movie. Unfortunately this saying isn't the case anymore and hasn't been for a long time. I realize some things need to be done in order to protect us but the problem there is no oversight over it all and they can do what they want, and not just in terms of security but spending, etc from many forms of gov't. That's not to say that I'm anti gov't or anti military(my pops was in the Army and younger bro is currently serving in the Navy) but I am anti big gov't that wants to control every little thing we do and watch us every second of the day, which seems to be the road we're heading down.

Last edited:
I am still unsure for now and am withholding judgment.

I have to ask, does everyone believe what the media and government tell you about this guy? The NSA was exposed and doesn't like it. I think they would do anything to discredit Snowden and demonize him. I am not sure if he is, or has, shared any secrets with China or Russia. I can say I need information which is more objective than what I am provided by the media and embarassed gov't agencies.

i am still unsure for now and am withholding judgment.

I have to ask, does everyone believe what the media and government tell you about this guy? The nsa was exposed and doesn't like it. I think they would do anything to discredit snowden and demonize him. I am not sure if he is, or has, shared any secrets with china or russia. I can say i need information which is more objective than what i am provided by the media and embarassed gov't agencies.

bingo!

I thought he may have been a hero but the more I am learning about his motivations for doing what he has done, it becomes obvious the guy is a traitor to this country. Look at where he had fled to and which governments he has associated with.

I don't trust our government with much and I believe in checks and balances but there are safeguards in place with these programs that allow the government to snoop and not violate our right to privacy.

I find it funny that anyone with an internet connection believes they have any privacy. Almost every online service you access tracks your preferences without your knowledge, gathers far more personal information than our government does and then these sites use that data to make money off of us. What the government collects is less invasive than what google collects.

The guy is a traitor to America and has lost all credibility with his false claims, choice of foreign government collusion and for exposing all Americans to higher chances of dying in a terrorist attack.

Nemont

Traitor.

There are legit methods to proceed with "whistleblower" actions. Illegally removing National Security interests and providing this directly or indirectly to foreign countries is a traitor.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back