Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most buyers have no idea what a beadlock is or what it is for. Much less need them. Good on Ford for duping the mall crawlers. mtmuley
True. Beadlocks are also illegal to run on the street. The story I saw said the TIRES were capable of being mounted on beadlock wheels. Big deal. Anyone wanting to run them would have a set of tires mounted on them for playing and swap out to regular wheels for road use.

I hear you. Fun to talk about though. If I was gonna drop that kind of coin on my 2nd gen I'd do a long travel suspension, 37s, and regear to 5.29. Probably run 30k, but boy oh boy could you have some fun.

I haven't spent any time thinking about this before....

Sweet pick up. I'd have stuck with 37s but each to his own.

Didn't read beyond the first post parts list, but doesnt look like he has the suspension or fenders for a go fast truck. Needs a long travel set up and fiberglass quarter panels for max suspension travel.

This is my truck crush.

Watch the wheels stick to the ground most of the time. At speed that's made possible by shocks and space for wheels to travel. White truck would need to slow way down unless he's made changes.

Last edited:
I've learned from this thread that some people just don't need a truck. Even a little one. mtmuley
I like a truck as a bird hunter. 2 dog boxes in the bed.
If a dog get sprayed by a skunk...much better than having a skunked dog in an SUV!

I'm looking to downsize from my Silverado as I no longer will be towing. But I'm 6' 4".
The GMC twins, the Chevy Colorado and the GMC Canyon, have the most legroom if your tall.
...45 inches of leg room, the most of any midsize trucks.

Bed width is another consideration as all mid-size trucks have bed width less than 48",
and to fit large 2 dog boxes would require 48".

Last edited:
Just a heads-up that the new Ranger can fit 48" inside the wheel wells.
Right now I'm leaning to the Honda Ridgeline with excellent gas mileage, standard all-wheel drive and 50 inches between wheel wells.
Ranked #1 by Car & Driver for Midsize Pickups (Car & Driver Editor Choice)
Basically a Honda Pilot with a bed.

Last edited:
Right now I'm leaning to the Honda Ridgeline with excellent gas mileage, standard all-wheel drive and 50 inches between wheel wells.
Ranked #1 by Car & Driver for Midsize Pickups (Car & Driver Editor Choice)
Basically a Honda Pilot with a bed.
They have a version called the trailsport that gives it a mild lift, better tires, etc. It's a truck the probably fits what most drivers use their trucks for but end up buying something else. The tfl guys really like it alot.

They have a version called the trailsport that gives it a mild lift, better tires, etc. It's a truck the probably fits what most drivers use their trucks for but end up buying something else. The tfl guys really like it alot.
I may be the lone Ridgy owner on here. If you want my experience w my gen 1 2006 Ridgeline, I'm happy to oblige via PM.

I may be the lone Ridgy owner on here. If you want my experience w my gen 1 2006 Ridgeline, I'm happy to oblige via PM.
Thanks. We are moving from Alaska to MT. Alaska spoiled me on big game and I will not be hunting big game in MT.
I love the bird hunting in MT and with 2 labs that's my passion. This past year I hunted with a 2008 Ford Escape which worked fine, but I'd like a small pickup in case a dog gets skunked. Plus it is nice to be able to hose out the bed every once in awhile.

I love the bird hunting in MT and with 2 labs that's my passion. No need for towing.
This past year I hunted with a 2008 Ford Escape which worked fine, but I'd like a small pickup in case a dog gets skunked.
Plus it is nice to be able to hose out the bed every once in awhile.

2023 Prices Ridgeline is pricier:
Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD $40,145
Tacoma 4WD SR5 Access Cab 6' Bed V6 $38.160
Colorado Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive LT $36,400

(2023 1/2 ton 4wd trucks: Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box 4X4 $50k, F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCrew 5.5' Box $53k)

Tacoma and Colorado won't fit dog boxes between the wheel wells. Maybe behind them or on a decked system?

If an escape worked well have you considered a maverick and a platform to elevate the dog boxes above the wheel wells?
I love the bird hunting in MT and with 2 labs that's my passion. No need for towing.
This past year I hunted with a 2008 Ford Escape which worked fine, but I'd like a small pickup in case a dog gets skunked.

(2023 1/2 ton 4wd trucks: Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box 4X4 $50k, F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCrew 5.5' Box $53k)

Very unlikely you find any of those at that price on dealers lots. Possible. But not likely. Dealers like to option things up, especially since there is more demand than supply. For sure there will be a price increase on the Tacoma which will have its next gen reveal on 5/19.

I'm always looking at trucks on autotrader. Currently the best prices right now on trucks are the Ram's. I'm seeing many with 10k-15k off, 4 wheel drive crew cab. These aren't the classics but the newest generation. Routinely see the big horn trim around $41k. That's cheaper than most mid size trucks. Heck of bargain really as most ford's and chevy's of similar trim are low to mid 50's.

rams.PNG

Very unlikely you find any of those at that price on dealers lots. Possible. But not likely. Dealers like to option things up, especially since there is more demand than supply. For sure there will be a price increase on the Tacoma which will have its next gen reveal on 5/19.

I'm always looking at trucks on autotrader. Currently the best prices right now on trucks are the Ram's. I'm seeing many with 10k-15k off, 4 wheel drive crew cab. These aren't the classics but the newest generation. Routinely see the big horn trim around $41k. That's cheaper than most mid size trucks. Heck of bargain really as most ford's and chevy's of similar trim are low to mid 50's.

View attachment 276125
Yes but in general mid size truck prices Ridgeline>Tacoma>Colorado
and in general mid-size trucks less expensive than full sized trucks.

Tacoma and Colorado won't fit dog boxes between the wheel wells. Maybe behind them or on a decked system?

If an escape worked well have you considered a maverick and a platform to elevate the dog boxes above the wheel wells?
The 2023 Honda Ridgeline has greater horsepower, torque, towing range, and cargo volume than the 2023 Ford Maverick. Even the base engine is more capable in the 2023 Ridgeline, despite the 2023 Maverick's hybrid powertrain.
The Maverick does have more driver's legroom at 42.8 inches compared to Ridgeline at 40.9 inches.
However the Ridgeline has 50" between wheel wells compares to Maverick 42.6 inches.

Last edited:
The 2023 Honda Ridgeline has greater horsepower, torque, towing range, and cargo volume than the 2023 Ford Maverick. Even the base engine is more capable in the 2023 Ridgeline, despite the 2023 Maverick's hybrid powertrain.
The Maverick does have more driver's legroom at 42.8 inches compared to Ridgeline at 40.9 inches.
However the Ridgeline has 50" between wheel wells compares to Maverick 42.6 inches.
Ohh so they are different vehicles.

next gen tacoma has been revealed. They have fixed the 2 biggest gripes about the tacoma: seating position and drum brakes. All come with a 2.4 turbo 4 but just as GM has done, they have different tunes depending on the trim and they have a hybrid version.

base sr trim: 228 horsepower and 243 pound-feet of torque
upper trims (auto transmission): 278 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque
upper trims (manual transmission): 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque
upper trims hybrid (auto transmission): 326 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque

2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro.png

next gen tacoma has been revealed. They have fixed the 2 biggest gripes about the tacoma: seating position and drum brakes. All come with a 2.4 turbo 4 but just as GM has done, they have different tunes depending on the trim and they have a hybrid version.

base sr trim: 228 horsepower and 243 pound-feet of torque
upper trims (auto transmission): 278 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque
upper trims (manual transmission): 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque
upper trims hybrid (auto transmission): 326 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque

View attachment 276494
Since I'm built like a giraffe, my biggest complaint is leg room!
The Colorado and Canyon mid-size have the most legroom of mid-size pickups that I am aware of...45 inches.
The Tacoma has always had a reputation of a cramped cab...wish they would expand the leg room.

Since I'm built like a giraffe, my biggest complaint is leg room!
The Colorado and Canyon mid-size have the most legroom of mid-size pickups that I am aware of...45 inches.
The Tacoma has always had a reputation of a cramped cab...wish they would expand the leg room.
I found legroom to be somewhat deceiving, mainly depending on his the center console was set up. I had more length of legroom in the colorado, but it felt more cramped due to the high center console forcing my knees together a bit. Same with the ranger and tacoma if I remember correctly.

There is a substantial price difference between a new full size 4X4 pickup and a mid-sized 4X4 pickup.
For example, from Dave Smith Motors, Kellog, Idaho:

2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Truck Crew Cab 4X4
2.7LL I-4 cyl Engine $55,365

2023 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Truck Crew Cab 4X4
2.7LL I-4 cyl Engine $43,790

Back