slug gun accuracy

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
G

Guest member 25165

I hunt in Wisconsin. A few years ago, the area that I hunt in went from slug gun to rifle. We also do a lot of walking, deer drives, pushing, etc. I decided to purchase a DPMS compact hunter in 308 for deer drives. Long story short, it snowed, rained, and was sleeting like nobody's business last year. Walking through the cattail marshes caused my scope lens to become full of fuzz and moisture, making it useless during the drive. So, I decided to go back to a shotgun for drives. Here is a benelli M2 20 gauge with open sights at 50 yards. The group on the left is Brenneke KO's and the right is Remington Accutips. 3 shot group, like I said, open sights. Perfect for those up close and personal shots.

Attachments

• 20150828_140255.jpg
    20150828_140255.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 403
Those slugs will blow a hole up an elephant's @$$!

We used to be limited to shotguns, now we can use rifles of a certain caliber, such as .44 mag. I still use my H&R slug gun quite a bit.

That'll do! My family used to use Brenneke's exclusively. Don't remember ever catching one and don't remember ever losing a deer with one.

Those 20 gauges are the way to go. From the looks its sure shooting good.
My buddy has a savage 220 and that thing is dead on at 200 yards.

Rifled barrel. I actually picked it up used. It didn't look like it had been shot much at all.

Those 20 gauges are the way to go. From the looks its sure shooting good.
My buddy has a savage 220 and that thing is dead on at 200 yards.

I owned two of those 220's and although they shot well in terms of accuracy, I had quite a few empty shells hang up and land right back in the action. The bolt was quite sticky too...but you are right...they do shoot accurately.

Don't use a shotgun that much anymore, but when I did.....it's a 20ga. I got stuck being only able to hunt on a military base one year (post Desert Storm).

3 shots....3 whitetails.

Only 1 made it out of eyesight before it dropped, and it took a 20yd dash into a gully that turned a hard left from my tree stand!

I owned two of those 220's and although they shot well in terms of accuracy, I had quite a few empty shells hang up and land right back in the action. The bolt was quite sticky too...but you are right...they do shoot accurately.

You really have to work the bolt hard and fast to eject shells in the Savage, the Browning is the same way. I went to a 20 ga for slug hunting years ago and never looked back at the 12.
My 220 shoots the Remington Accutips very well.

I would shot the breneekes over the accutip especially on deer drives. I've shot 3 decent bucks in iowa with accutips and they just don't bleed. All three where quartering away shot with opposite shoulder being broke so they never went anymore that 15 or 20 yards but even in the snow there was any blood. If I find something that shoots as good out of my savage 212 I will switch but out to 200 that's my only option.

Back