Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Slide in campers

Foxtrot1

Looking at picking up a used slide in camper. Gonna be hunting a lot by myself this year and I think it would make life easier not having to set up the wall tent solo and packing things each time I move locations. Also should make it easier stopping on the rd with 2 bird dogs, instead of trying to find a hotel that'll let them in.

Any of you guys using one? If so what do you think about them after use? I've got a crew cab f150 with a 5.4 ltr engine. Think that'll carry one OK? From searches online looks like most guys are loosing 15-25% fuel mpg with a slide in in their truck. Is this about right?

I use to have a lance 1010. I really enjoyed mine, I mainly spent time on the beach with mine. I really enjoyed being able to stay in different spots if I wanted to.

I think you will need to get a smaller one since you have a f150. I use to visit a site called rv.net you should be able to find lots of good info there. Good luck

They are nice.to have . Spent lots of time in ours . The kids are older and dont go as much . Perfect for the wife and I on short trips .
Will be in mine this fall hunting !!! Oh we take the two shitzu's on non hunting trips !!!
Its a great time .. you should enjoy one.as long as its not to heavy for your rig.

MT.PERCHMAN

Just go find a bumper pull that you can afford and you and the dogs will happy happy. The pickup camper is nice but you sacrifice a lot of room and I found out back in the day that the difference in milage wasn't that much different between a palomino pop up pickup camper and then graduated to a 74 Avion bumper pull and at the time it was a 93 chevy 6.2 diesel half ton doing the work. The labs prefer this outfit paws down.

I have a mid 80's 10 1/2 lance on my f350 power stroke cc. It weighs 4,000 loaded for a hunt. its fine for no more than two people. For hunting I like it better than the travel trailer we had.

I am also considering purchasing a slide in. We already own a 20ft bumper pull camper which is small by rv standards. I don't see the point of towing a popup if the temps get near freezing. You might as well be in a tent. Not to mention towing a popup gets tricky in some of the places I want to go and again towing a trailer on snowy trails gets hairy in a hurry.

I don't have a slide-in so I guess I'm speculating on the positives, but I already have the tow behind, so what's the hurt of finding something smaller for 1-2 people?

I had a lance lite 815 a few years ago,pretty small and lightweight,{about 2000 loaded},,Id say to go no bigger than a 8 ft camper on a half ton truck,was nice for what it was,,,drawback was that it basically made your ride a base camp.I switched to a small toyhauler tlr so I could unhook easyer and run around in the truck,,drawback to that is dragging a trailer is a pia to turn around sometimes,,,always + and - to consider.

I've got an early 90's Lance 9'6" slide in. I had to rebuild the front corners due to rot that wasn't apparent until the camper jacks sheared off. It's on a 2006 Dodge 2500.

After the rebuild, we've been using it a lot this summer and it's perfect for a couple. I bought it primarily for hunting and should be perfect for that task.

If you have an F150, you're going to be limited to what kind of camper you can put in the bed. Truck Camper Magazine has a lot of good info on selecting the right camper for your truck & needs: http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/newbie-corner

If you buy a used camper, be thorough in inspecting it. truck Campers are notorious for rot and falling apart.

I know nothing about slide in, but if I were to get a camper today I would get a used Scamp. I know they are not cheap, but sometimes you can find a deal on one.

If you plan on a slide in for a half ton truck, you had better look for a lightweight unit. Even then, you may need to add air bags to your rear leafs. I had to. I had a like new 2003 bronco palomino pop-up.
You freeze your ass off in cold weather, as soon as you turn off the furnace. When it's running you strip to your underwear. Figure on losing half your gas mileage too, along with problems from strong crosswinds. I sold it for a profit, and bought an enclosed trailer with a ramp. I haul my Rhino in it, and sleep in it when I unload and use the Rhino for transportation. I have the bed of the truck open to haul dead critters now. It was a problem before.

Check out Four Wheel Campers. Might be the ticket for a slide in version considering the low weight and options ranging from fully loaded to just a shell that you can modify as you see fit. Lots of guys use them offroad, overland travel, etc., and they might be one of the coolest setups around for hunting. Northstar and Alaskan Campers are other options as well.

You've got a crew cab F150, so you're going to be pretty limited on selection. Size/space will be small, two people max. With that being said, I love having the slide in camper. A hard-sided trailer would be equally nice, but getting a trailer in/out of same places is difficult - and if you get into nasty mud/snow, maneuvering a trailer could turn into a nightmare. The plus side of the trailer is having considerable more room to move around inside.

Either a trailer or slide in camper will affect your gas mileage, especially in the city due to weight, and on the highway above 65mph, where aerodynamics kick in.

As suggested above, an air bag kit for the rear suspension is highly recommended for carrying the load of a camper. WAY more stable.

Weatherization, storage when not used, batteries, etc. are all things to consider for a slide in or trailer. They're not maintenance-free. Also, adding a catalytic heater is highly recommended - the furnaces suck down battery juice fast. No big deal if you pack a generator, but I'm an off-grid camper, so conserving battery is key. I can camp with someone for a week off one battery charge, as long as we're smart about battery usage.

I love hunting from the camper, especially when solo. Good luck.

Thanks for the pointers guys. I had found one locally that was used, but I'm pretty sure it was too big for my truck. I'll keep my eyes out but it's looking like it's gonna be the wall tent again this year

I use a 8.5' Montana Ponderosa built by S&S Campers in Kalispell that I haul with a Dodge 2500 Cummins 6spd. Have had pull trailers, including a vintage Airstream in the past. For the wife and I and the way we use it the truck camper works great. This particular camper has twin 7 gallon LPG tanks, twin group 27 batteries, and over 30 gallons of fresh water. Light weight it definitely is not. The Dodge hauls it well, cross winds are not too much of an issue for what it is but, the truck is equipped with Dodge's version of 'camper special' equipment, ie. sway bars and in essence 1 ton rear suspension. I do not need or use air bags.

I wholeheartedly recommend Truck Camper Magazine ... good material and good folks. You will get to read about Mr. Harley as well, who I believe is actually the ramrod of the outfit ;-)

Drawbacks:, they are compact inside but depending on the configuration more space than some would imagine. The head/restrooms are small. Unless you are going to unload the thing (mine is REAL tight fit) traveling around once arrived at your destination is a pain. Also, if memory serves the later Ford PU's have a taller cab and older campers may clear the top of the cab. Be sure to measure both.

If there is anything I can help you with just drop a PM. Good luck.

Over the years my Dad started out with a 10 1/2 foot self contained camper. It worked ok as long as you didn't need to haul any game or needed to get around your hunting area. He got a little cj7 jeep to tow behind it. That solved the getting around issue. Next he got a 23 foot motorhome, bad idea still need another vehicle. Plus you had to work on something new each time out, work good at home not in the hills :( In 1992 I had a 3/4 ton Ford he traded the motorhome in on a 1/5 wheel we went in half on. He passed away in 2007 and the 1/5 wheel still work's good today. I'll be using it again this hunting season. You have to make adjustments for whatever you decide on. You might as well buy for the long term and be comfortable.
Dan

Some of the larger ones are nice but still do not have any room in them to move around.The one I had,I could hardly have room to bend down to put my boots on.No more of them for me.a camp trailer or a wall tent is much better.

My 2 cents,
I purchased a 2005 24 ft. prowler pull behind camper 2 years ago on website called Copart for $1900.00. It had water damage and the floor was a mess. I gutted the whole trailer, insulated the floor and laid new plywood base and a simulated hardwood floor. It probably cost me another grand to get the trailer in good condition.

My wife and I have been having so much fun on our new adventures. I drove solo to Colorado and Wyoming for an hunt elk and it was the best trip I ever had. Good luck with your decision.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back