Yeti GOBOX Collection

Slid in truck campers

Where a slide in makes the most sense is if you want to be able to tow also. In my case, I tow horses.

But I use it extensively without towing horses as a mobil camp while bird hunting.

You just have to think about what you have to have and what you can do without.

Last edited:
I have owned 3 different overhead campers A few tips I would share are
Buy a truck with an 8' bed and a camper package. My current truck has a camper packand snow plow packages that includes bigger alternator, 48gal fuel tank, rear sway bar and heavier springs all around.

I get the same mileage hauling the overhead as I do towing a small camp trailer so don't assume it will be better.

It's a goldilocks scenario where I like an 8.5' and can also easily tow a boat or horses.
A gas truck will have more payload capacity than a similarly equipped diesel.

A popup will feel like sleeping in a tent(noise, hot /cold) But be easily on the mpg front and better on rough roads.

Yup, if you want to bring along atv’s or other towed vehicles it’s gotta be a slide in. 8A9A4076-7A9D-4642-AC68-90DC8C9BDD69.jpeg

It's really interesting seeing all the new types of slide in campers as I get to watch plenty come through Laramie. Some of them look like they cost more than the truck. Soem more extreme with lots of stuff bolted on. One thing to think about is wind. There are days here where you simply can't 'drive them, and others where your mileage would drop to single digits.

If a guy could live with less space a nice camper shell with bed setup would have a lot of advantages in the wind.

I’ve found a lot are more expensive than my 30’ toyhauler🤨😳

Had full size and pop up truck campers plus tow behind. Love the truck camper for versatility. I also like the ones that are designed to be used off the truck which helps with using truck for normal uses like scouting etc. If you can get a 9' on truck, they usually let you still tow without prob. Prefer no toilet for extra space. Plenty of trees. Furnaces are nice but consume propane fast on pop ups. Stay away from older 3 legged, royal pain in ass to get on and off truck.

Truck campers are great for drive since you can get decent rest on way to and from your hunt. I used KOA for stops to gain their security and use of their showers. Usually quiet and welcoming. Plus points system for future stays.

Agree truck campers are prob 2 man unless you combine with ATV trailer and tent stuff. You can have nice base camp that way. Some have slide outs which increase inner space to slight degree. Only so much space to work off.

Number one recommendation is put Air Lift System on truck. I put remote wireless Air Lift System on my 2009 2500 and what a joy to drive. Lessens sway from road as well as passing big rigs. Towing is much easier with air lift as well.

Also highly recommend putting Tork Lift on truck to secure camper to trucks. System makes it easy to secure camper to trucks.

Had full size and pop up truck campers plus tow behind. Love the truck camper for versatility. I also like the ones that are designed to be used off the truck which helps with using truck for normal uses like scouting etc. If you can get a 9' on truck, they usually let you still tow without prob. Prefer no toilet for extra space. Plenty of trees. Furnaces are nice but consume propane fast on pop ups. Stay away from older 3 legged, royal pain in ass to get on and off truck.

Truck campers are great for drive since you can get decent rest on way to and from your hunt. I used KOA for stops to gain their security and use of their showers. Usually quiet and welcoming. Plus points system for future stays.

Agree truck campers are prob 2 man unless you combine with ATV trailer and tent stuff. You can have nice base camp that way. Some have slide outs which increase inner space to slight degree. Only so much space to work off.

Number one recommendation is put Air Lift System on truck. I put remote wireless Air Lift System on my 2009 2500 and what a joy to drive. Lessens sway from road as well as passing big rigs. Towing is much easier with air lift as well.

Also highly recommend putting Tork Lift on truck to secure camper to trucks. System makes it easy to secure camper to trucks.

Thank you, those two recommendations I have been given before and will definitely take heed

I'm coming to the conclusion that RVs are like boats. No one boat will do everything so you just decide the primary use and go from there.

Definitely leaning toward 1-ton with 8 ft bed. 2 -6 volt batteries probably with solar. I really like the idea of the pop up due low profile and weight, but I'm not sure if that out weighs the down side.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm getting ready to leave for Arizona to archery hunt javalina. Plan to spend 10 days moving small wall tent around until game found, I definitely like the idea of a camper.
Merry Christmas

One more critical thought is although pop ups are nice for down the road, the exposed area in snow and ice is another royal pain in ass to keep clear so you can retract cleanly. Yes, experienced this in major snowstorm and even with broom, was almost impossible to retract. I ended up putting tarp over roof to keep as much snow out as possible.

I'm coming to the conclusion that RVs are like boats. No one boat will do everything so you just decide the primary use and go from there.
I think that is a wise premise from which to begin deciding on the camper that will best suit your requirements.
The camper we use on the Dodge 3500 was purchased in 1995, is stored in winter under a shed, and has really worked well for us. It has been ideal for taking grandchildren on trips with merely one or two of them and has been very comfortable for the two of us. The roof has 3/4 inch plywood for extra strength, a tubular rack for hauling canoes or kayaks, and includes good insulation. I've also used it for hunting and it allows for staying outback and hunting right from the vehicle. On the other hand if you want an RV to accomodate and entertain friends and the whole family, then a pickup camper won't be adequate.

2005 DODGE RAM 3500.JPG

What year is your FX4? What engine does it have?

I’m planning to get a trailer similar to what you have pictured and want to see how your truck does hauling that thing.
2020 3.5 EB 3.55 elocker. 145” WB 1813 payload

It’s being traded in today for a 2023 XL 5.0 3.73 elocker Screw 6.5’ bed. 157” WB 2551 payload.

FB45564C-E844-4532-9D92-369CF59A1136.jpeg

Why?
Because there’s only a 7050 GVWR on the 2020 instead of a 7850 GVWR on the 2023.

The 2020 is maxed on axle and on gross weight but not GCVWR. The 7850 now gives me an extra 750-800 payload capacity I didn’t have before.

The bed is empty with these numbers.
A4D657B4-6CEF-4EFA-BB73-EC55235FDA4F.jpeg

Payload sticker for the XL
D7FD412D-D96C-4476-B052-87385E35446B.jpeg
Payload sticker for the XLT

6F9C431B-FCA7-425B-8C81-21AD53DE046C.jpeg

As you go up in trim quality, that number gets smaller. The GVWR stays the same, but your payload goes away to the point it’s a glorified station wagon.

So if you want a truck for doing truck things where you need a truck. Be extremely picky what you get

Trailer is 4500 lbs, brushhog is like 4000 lbs, machine is 11,800 lbs. truck is 6000 lbs.

F60D86BD-0322-4F70-BFBC-EBADE880EA7A.jpeg

Payload sticker for the XL
View attachment 259465
Payload sticker for the XLT

View attachment 259466

As you go up in trim quality, that number gets smaller. The GVWR stays the same, but your payload goes away to the point it’s a glorified station wagon.

So if you want a truck for doing truck things where you need a truck. Be extremely picky what you get

Trailer is 4500 lbs, brushhog is like 4000 lbs, machine is 11,800 lbs. truck is 6000 lbs.

View attachment 259470

I have always been curious as to what actually goes into a payload number. In the above example, the tires are vastly different and I wonder how much role that plays. The truck with the higher payload is spec'd with C range tires inflated to 48 psi. The other truck is spec'd with P load tires @ 35 psi. I can't imagine that makes all of the difference, but C load tires with more pressure would certainly be rated to hold more weight than P rated tires at lower pressures.

I have always been curious as to what actually goes into a payload number. In the above example, the tires are vastly different and I wonder how much role that plays. The truck with the higher payload is spec'd with C range tires inflated to 48 psi. The other truck is spec'd with P load tires @ 35 psi. I can't imagine that makes all of the difference, but C load tires with more pressure would certainly be rated to hold more weight than P rated tires at lower pressures.
Wheel base, suspension and axles too.

I used to have a dodge 2500 w/ an old cabover camper in the bed, and it was great for quick weekend getaways. I’d like to get another one, but if/when I do I think I’m going to go with a FourWheel Project M. https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/

Essentially it’s a bed cap, with a pop up cabover sleeping area. Light and simple.

Factory tires are absolutely factored in.
It's not really what components are factored in. Its more an engineering process where you pick a goal like GCWR of 15k then you choose every component to meet that spec. The list would be long.
From the ground up tires, wheels, wheel bearing, brakes, driveline, transmission. fluid cooling, frame and so on.
Then you take the weight of the vehicle and its accessories and subtract it from the capacity of the weakest components and you have a number that you can use to run through in-house then government tests like acceleration and braking pass those and you can put it on a door sticker.

Some accessories can have a major impact on gvwr like sunroof can subtract a couple hundred pounds. Diesels can subtract 1000.
It's common for a fully loaded Diesel crew cab truck to have a rating thousands of pounds lower than a striped down single cab gas truck.

Wheel base, suspension and axles too.
Yup and lots of other things I'm sure. I guess I just wonder how much tires and pressure impact payload capacity if everything else stayed the same. Probably pretty tough to figure out.

Well, my Falken Wildpeak AT3W are a load index of 116T. They are considered a passenger “SL” or standard load tire.

The general grappler tires the truck came with is considered an LT tire and is rated for a load index of 113T.

Guess which tires I’m keeping.

Back