Slid in truck campers

Have you looked into a Jumpin Jack? I think this is my choice. Very functional, multiple uses. Slide in and a 4 wheeler reqs. Another trailer..Save a pile too.

I bought a four wheel pop up truck bed camper, grandby model in the spring of 2020 and have used it hundreds of times at this point-I sleep as good in it as my own house. I have not stayed in a hotel since buying it and save about $4000/year in motel costs when working out of town. I use it primarily for work overnights but of course also recreation. It fits perfectly with no overhang at the rear or sides of my one ton single wheel chevy pickups-this is very nice when off roading or maneuvering trailers in tight spots. Camper weighs 1500# soaking wet so with the one ton I can tow my work equipment or horses without knowing the camper is there. My older Chevy has a Bradford built flatbed and I get plenty of rough storage along the sides of the camper when using the flatbed truck for any gear that can be exposed to the elements. It has a shower and a 10 gallon hot water tank. The fridge works well enough to freeze your food in 24 hours if its turned up too high and it has a propane stove top that works perfectly. I love this thing. I can remove or install it from my trucks in about 15 minutes. I have slept perfectly well in it with outside temperatures below zero. I’ve used it popped up in all night 70mph wind with no problems. Outside noises can be bothersome at first but sleeping with soft earplugs fixes that until you just get used to outside noises and forget to use them. Last week for work I slept on BLM land 5 mins from my place of work-I fell asleep at 8pm listening to coyotes howling-much nicer than trying to fall asleep at 11 pm in a cheap motel 45 min away from the job while a trucker is banging a noisy hooker in the room next door! I’ve had lots of instances of wet, heavy overnight snow. If u are by yourself you just pop the back up and leave the front down and the snow slides off the front. If you need the front for multiple people and it snows heavy just pop it down to clean the snow off (it will pop down instantly due to the heavy weight of the snow and the sidewalls won’t fold in correctly-they’ll be pinched outside) then you climb up top and push the snow off, pop it back up and pop it back down slowly so it folds correctly. The thing is also made of 100% durable weather proof materials. The solar panel provides enough juice to run all of its appliances and charge cell phones indefinitely as long as it gets some sun during the day. Nothing on this camper has broken yet and inside and out it still looks like new. I have zero complaints with this camper and to me it has been worth every penny of the $30,000 purchase price

though i have gone to a cargo trailer 7x14 convertion the way i want it,,i did have a lance 8' camper on a 3/4 ton dodge with the long bed that worked well,,i liked the fact that i could still tow and didnt have to mess with the camper lights,,just a hot tap for the camper itself//ive seen alot of rigs with campers way bigger than id go..there are always pros and cons ,,you gotta decide whats best for you,,,8' camper is really for no more than 2 for the most part.trailers have there advantages and disadvantages also.i like being able to unhitch and be able to use the truck if needed.with a camper ,your a little more limited.

Ive been looking at slide in campers for my pickup and was wondering if anyone "unloads" the camper at a campsite so you can be less cautious when using the pickup to go down the trail, roads, etc? I am sure the camper would be susceptible to tipping over as well. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.
Thanks!

Ive been looking at slide in campers for my pickup and was wondering if anyone "unloads" the camper at a campsite so you can be less cautious when using the pickup to go down the trail, roads, etc? I am sure the camper would be susceptible to tipping over as well. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.
Thanks!
It is an option, but IMO in practice it is pretty unrealistic. You can't use the camper unless there is support under the floor and it is enough of a task to take it on and off that is just never seemed worth it to me. For most models, you wouldn't have a tailgate as well. Would be kinda easy for someone to steal with it off the truck too. Ultimately space and not being able to drop the camper made me sell mine. Bought a smallish travel trailer that is certainly more of a pain to drive with (especially on forest roads) but way nicer when you get to camp and then you can easily use your truck for day trips, etc.

It is an option, but IMO in practice it is pretty unrealistic. You can't use the camper unless there is support under the floor and it is enough of a task to take it on and off that is just never seemed worth it to me. For most models, you wouldn't have a tailgate as well. Would be kinda easy for someone to steal with it off the truck too. Ultimately space and not being able to drop the camper made me sell mine. Bought a smallish travel trailer that is certainly more of a pain to drive with (especially on forest roads) but way nicer when you get to camp and then you can easily use your truck for day trips, etc.
I see plenty of cabover campers mounted on utility trailers.

Thanks!

Unloaded mine every time I used it. Lower the jacks 2/3 and they're damn near impossible to tip over; cg is way low on a slide in.

Thanks!
I can load or unload my slide in camper in about 15 minutes by myself.I have a 2018 ram 3500 srw diesel with a lance 8’6” lance. I have taken it rock crawling over mountain passes that sxs’s looked at me weird. Just go slow! Never felt like it was going to tip over. Just need to worry about what’s above you (trees). I almost always unload unless just doing a quick over nighter. Don’t get very good gas mileage (12 mpg). But tons of space for 2 people.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back