Sleeping Bags

mconway951

Looking at new sleeping bags right now, wondering how many of you guys use down bags and if you like them or if getting wet is a big problem i have never used a down bag so not sure what they are like

Down is the only way to go if you ask me. If you are worried about the bag getting wet you can get a bag with a goretex liner. If you spend your nights in a good tent, I wouldn't worry to much about the water. Even with the improvements they have made in recent years with regards to synthetic fills, down is still the warmest way to go when comparing them for packability and weight. The only time I use my synthetic fill bag is if I am packing in an area like the Olympic Penninsula, where high humidity for several days could cause some problems.

If you are weight concerned go with down,but down sleeping bags like everything else you buy you get what you pay for. They need a good baffle construction or you will get cold spots plan on spending big bucks. Todays syntheics are amazing, cheaper but heavier carry weight. I own both types and opt for my Cabelas synthetic -20 bag for October huntin trips.
The older I get the colder I get. As a rule of thumb I like a bag rated for 20 deg colder than the lowest expected temperature.. Summer time I use a 0 or 20 degree rated down bag. I use a silk liner in all my bags(home made) When it's really cold I throw in a couple of hand warmers and the comfort level goes up about 15 degrees.
M2h

I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model sleeping bad and love it. It is comfortable and warm. I've only had it one season and slept in the single digits w/o a problem. If I was planning on back packing I would look for a differnt bag though.

I've used down exclusively for a few years now. I use them in pretty dry areas and switching to synthetic isn't on the to-do list. If I was headed to the wetter areas of British Colombia or Alaska though, I'd surely think about switching.

With good quality bags (800 fill or better, from mountaineering companies) I've had no trouble getting the rating out of a bag. By adding some clothing to the system, I've been comfortable below the rated temperature. Also, I'm a weight focused backpacker, so this is all of concern to me. If I was just truck hunting, I'd go another, cheaper route.

Unless you really need the margin that synthetics can offer in wet/humid environments, I would strongly suggest down. It'll loft well for you for much longer and just plain feels better to get into. I've had a few of both and there's no question which I prefer. My experience mirrors Carl's.

I am also in the weight concious category. I love having a sleeping bag that I can smash down real small and yet stay warm at night. I would go down as well unless I was truck hunting. Even in Alaska you can do things to keep the bag dry while in your pack (garbage bag) and if your tent is leaking that much you've got other problems as well

Kelty makes an affordable model that would be a great entry level down bag either in a 20 degree or 0 model. It is called the Cosmic Down bag Look on ebay It doesn't have the bells and whistles some ot the other bags have but you get a chance to .try a down bag without investing hundreds.

Down or nothing. Big A's are nice, bought one for my wife. Marmot makes a great bag...1st good bag I bought for backpacking/winter camping. Sill lofts like new, my son jumps in that and I never worry about him getting cold. I use a Moonstone. As Lawnboy said, You can find a great bag from $2-300. Save on the lbs.

I went with a Mont Bell UL Super Spiral Downhugger last year. Absolutely love the bag, without question the most comfortable nights I've ever spent in a bag. I think they're worth a look anyways.

Teton Sports makes a bag called the Elk Hunter that I absolutely love. It's got a -35 degree rating and is 40" wide. I sleep better in it than I do in my bed at home. Of course you can't pack a bag like that with you into the back country, but if you're looking for a bag to sleep in at base camp you can't go wrong with that one.

I have a BA Lost Ranger with the Air Pad and the Air Pad Pillow. I love the set up. Never slide of a mat and never loos the pillow. I am a side sleeper and I sleep better in this bag then on many beds. Something to think about when sleep is a must.

I have the same bag as The Tone, although I haven't had a chance to really use it since I bought it. It sure does feel good, though. Also have a synthetic TNF bag that I will continue to use when I go to Alaska or other wet climes.

I have the Big Agnes Down 15 deg. bag I think its called Lost Ranger... anyway I got the Big Agnes primarily for the integrated sleeping pad that slides in a pocket of the bottom of the bag, very comfy and eliminates problems of sliding off your pad onto the cold hard ground.

Maybe a few problems to consider, the bottom of those bags have no loft so the sleeping pad is suppose to be the thermal element between you and the ground. If the blow up pad
(which is nice) gets a hole in it you may have an issue if your on a pack trip. My friend had his go flat while we were in a canyon in Utah, there is a little cactus there, luckily it was not very cold at that time, still had to worry about the hard ground. I have not had any problems with mine and you can take a repair kit with you in the field.... just something to consider.

I,m with Oak on this one, synthetic for wet conditions takes the chances out of sleeping in a cold matted bag, I am sure all of us have spent some miserable nights in the field and I am getting too damn old for that. The list of things I won't skimp on keeps getting bigger the older I get... weird

I've tried several bags and like the Big Agnes bags but bought a Enlightened Equipment Revolution quilt/bag and it's been awesome! Superlight for packing! I have the 20 degree. Great for early season and used it this year into the lower 20's and worked like a charm!

I think I have more sleeping bags than backpacks... 95% of the time I'm in down. I feel like I sleep better in down than synthetic, fewer cold spots. However the down tends to condensate on the surface of the bag more than the synthetics... I leave it open in the moring, or if its not raining, I'll pull it out and let it air out while I make breakfast. It dries quick.

The moisture under the tarp is condensation, the down didn't get wet, and the shell died out quick. Quality bags have a dwr finish, which sheds water pretty well. It wasn't an ideal situation, it was clear sky when I hit the sack, woke up to rain about half way through the night. I packed out two days later with my dry down bag.

I've spents countless nights and rainy days in a down sleeping bag and the only time I had one get wet was due to a faulty tent. Most all gear is stored in dry sack ditty bags. To be honest the only time I really worry about getting gear wet is on stream crossings. In a dry bag you're covered.

The way I look at it, if you can manage to get your down bag wet, you probably will get everything else wet as well. Be a little careful and you'll be just fine.

Worring about a wet bag is for women. :D

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
I tried syn. bags for a while than I bit the bullet and bought a W M Badger 15 deg bag and I've been happy ever since.And I live ,hunt and canp on the west side of the Cascades and the Oly. pen
Tim

Same here. Down all the way, especially if you are backpack hunting. It just offers the most warmth for the weight and size. Plain and simple. And you can mitigate the wetness risks by getting a down bag with a waterproof outer barrier. Feathered Friends makes some mighty fine down bags. Not cheap, but if $ isn't an issue.... I have been using a Sierra Designs 0 degree down bag for years, and I like it a lot. It's not waterproof but you can always zip up your rain jacket and slide it up over the bottom of your bag to get some condensation protection.

Back