MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sleeping Bag Thoughts

SD_Prairie_Goat

I am starting to compile all the gear I will need this fall for my backpack hunt in Colorado. The one area I am stuck at currently is sleeping bag's.

To me it looks like you really need to go the down sleeping bag route to save on both weight and size in your pack. Is this a safe assumption?

After that I really don't want to buy a name brand sleeping bag, because I cannot justify to myself spending more than $200 on a sleeping bag. I think that basically brings me to amazon and bags more direct from manufacturer.

This is the bag I am leaning toward in the long variety with temp rating of zero:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JDWT...olid=1KQRCR9OL5G72&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does that seem like a good option for backpacking to anyone else? I tried a 30 degree rated sleeping bag the other night while camping in my yard at 50 degree and I started to get chilled with my base layers on, so I thought I should get a colder than needed bag to be sure I won't freeze in October. Am I going to low with a zero degree bag? I plan to be in Colorado around 9500' in October hunting...

I would 100% rather have a good or decent quality 15* or 20* bag than a poor quality, 4 lb. 0* bag. The bag you linked is really no more efficient than an OK synthetic bag, because of the low quality fill and quite certainly low quality design and construction.

Some good values in bags are REI Magma, Marmot Never Summer, and Mountain Hardwear Phantom (even used). You get what you pay for for sure, but those are generally considered good values in the market. I'm sure there are others.

Check out Sierra Trading Post. You can find some amazing deals on great bags. I have used cheap bags and found ways to make them work, but I get such a better nights sleep with my good bag. Its make the experience better.

I have a synthetic eureka casper +15. was like $115. No complaints at all, packs down super small and is light

I use a 15 degree down bag for 1st rifle in CO, but would prefer a zero degree. Last year I slept in my fleece hoody and puffy pants and was comfortable down to around 10 degrees. I've always like Mountain Hardwear for bags but there are a handful of good options out there. When it comes to sleeping bags I'm a buy once, cry once kinda guy.

What should I be concerned with buying a used bag online? I guess I never even thought about that until you guys mentioned it.

REI has the Big Agnes Yok downtek 0 degree bag in long and regular in their outlet for $223. These are the traditional bags, not the ones that require a pad on the bottom. Solid bags.

keep your eye on camofire. Big Agnes bags have been on there off and on recently. you have time on your side to find deal

The first trip in miserable weather is when you’ll find out if the money you saved was worth it.
Yep. I used to have a 0* quilt that I thought would handle Eastern Montana. One night of -10* changed my mind.

Yep. I used to have a 0* quilt that I thought would handle Eastern Montana. One night of -10* changed my mind.

That’s not fun. I resorted to using a survival space blanket over me on a sheep hunt when I found out my inexpensive 20 degree bag was seriously overrated in terms of warmth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all are making me feel better and better about the 0 degree bag I just bought! I was suffering with a 25 year old 15 degree bag that was great when it was new but is seriously lacking these days. It limited me in terms of what time of year I was willing to camp.

One thing that is kind of swept under the rug when it comes to sleeping bags is down vs synthetic. IMO it is grossly overstated how valuable the weight savings is with down when compared to synthetic. BECAUSE if down gets wet, your hunt is over, or maybe worse and for that fact alone I will never use a down bag on a backcountry or late season hunt.

One thing that is kind of swept under the rug when it comes to sleeping bags is down vs synthetic. IMO it is grossly overstated how valuable the weight savings is with down when compared to synthetic. BECAUSE if down gets wet, your hunt is over, or maybe worse and for that fact alone I will never use a down bag on a backcountry or late season hunt.
Your opinion is valid of course, but lots of backcountry travelers disagree. I've gotten my down pretty darn wet, and it didn't end anything. It dries faster and breathes better IME. Pros and cons to each, and just like 550 and 850 fill power aren't the same animal, synthetics aren't either. Continuous filament synthetic fills like Climashield or Ajungilak see the biggest value over wet down by far, but they are far heavier and bulkier than cut/staple snythetic fills like Primaloft.

Your opinion is valid of course, but lots of backcountry travelers disagree. I've gotten my down pretty darn wet, and it didn't end anything.

I've had similar experiences, I haven't yet really soaked my bag (like submerge in a lake or something) but have gotten decently went due to a may snow storm collapsing my tent and leaving an inch of standing water inside of it... but my bag still kept me warm and it dried out quickly.

I do keep my bag in a dry sack, whenever I'm not actually sleeping in it. I'm actually kinda skeptical whether any bag is actually going to "keep you warm" if it's total soaked... but yeah if I was caught out in a cold wet rain storm I bet a synthetic bag would preform better.

For what it's worth I've used my bag in Alaska in the rain, and my friends in AK are all using down bags as well... none of them live in SE though...

Back