Yeti GOBOX Collection

SKRE vs. KUUI vs. SITKA vs. First Light

I haven’t dabbled a bunch in the fancy hunting clothes. I still mix match all kinds of stuff and use cheap stuff that works for me. However, I was able to pick up a pair of first lite catalyst pants with the knee pads and suspenders. I really like them.

I just picked up another one of these in that drab green color. My first one is still going but I absolutely love it. $50 isn't horrible.

I also have a mix-n-match outfit, but mostly non-hunting brands in earth tones that I get in the offseason or through other deals. REI has some sales going on now.
Sportsman’s about matched that price too for a merino 1/4 zip top.

I recommend Big Bill wool bibs. Yeah, they ain’t cheap and your buddies will call you a fud, but they’ll be the last hunting bibs you ever need. I’ve owned these for two years and the bibs are warm, well constructed and tough.

I have used different brands of camo from Cabelas, Badlands to Sitka. I've also used Crye precision and your standard issue camo while in the military. It is honestly all down to preference. I think there is a few posts on here that will pay respect to the folks who hunted before us in plaid shirts and jeans and they did just fine. Did they probably get soaked from rain when it rained, probably but they didn't bitch and moan like most do nowadays. I currently use Sitka and a combination of other base layers and it works well for me. Probably some of the most comfortable pieces of clothing I have ever worn, but what I like my hunting buddy swears by First Lite. I use the base layers but that's it. Does that mean First Lite is awful, no, the base layers for a fact are wonderful. I just like Sitka better. I also take advantage of discounts of the brands of camo I use, if I wouldn't receive such a discount I can almost guarantee I would not pay the price of full retail. Find a pattern you like or wear solids for anything except turkey hunting due to their vision and go with it. I tend to be loyal to a company and use them specifically unless I've tried a different brand previously and had success. I use the subalpine pattern for the simple fact that I can use it during turkey season and also for deer and elk out west in the fall.

I recommend Big Bill wool bibs. Yeah, they ain’t cheap and your buddies will call you a fud, but they’ll be the last hunting bibs you ever need. I’ve owned these for two years and the bibs are warm, well constructed and tough.

My Woolrich bibs are 30 years old and in need of some stitching once again. I bought another pair several years ago from Filson, w/cargo pockets that have not been broke in yet. They are high dollar and when sitting or being on horseback in single digit or sub zero weather they all are life savers , imo! They are not a backpack type clothing or walking all day clothing, but one cannot beat their warmth. Bear in mind, when doing the horseback thing I had a 3X Oilskin of the Outback tied to my saddle and it would cover me and my horse , if needed to!

I've had good luck with FirstLite base layers and midlayers. Sitka is overpriced to me for what it is, and has a very weird fit if you have short arms. They do make good waterproof gear for the times you need it. I've switched to Kuiu outwear and love it, but still use my FirstLite pants on occasion.

In my experience, you get what you pay for with hunting clothing, and you're better off having a couple of quality outfits rather than a ton of stuff off the sportsman's warehouse discount rack. When you're warm and dry and 10 miles from the truck on a 15 degree day, you won't care about splurging on quality gear.

I wear both kuiu and sitka love them both. I love the attack pants by kuiu. I think they are one of the best pants out there. I wear them all year around.

I mix and match I think every brand has stand out pieces.

First Lite is my pick for merino, I have a bunch of their base layers as well as heavier merino stuff. I have the foundry pants and the obsidian. The obsidian weren't as durable as I had hoped, the foundry are my new go to... I love the long zips for heat dumping, the fabric is abrasion resistant and dries fast, and I like the knee pads. I don't like FL rain gear way to heavy IMHO and the DWR doesn't seem to be great. Haven't used the puffies.

Sitka is bomb proof, but also in my experience heaviest in class for everything... just lots of extra pocket, zippers, or whatever. The Jet stream jacket is a great softshell, the timberline pants are also awesome... I wish they had heat zips.

I think you get a ton for your money with Kuiu, I have the attack pants and guide pants. The guide are great for later season hunting, my only gripe is they are a bit baggier than I'd like. Love the kuiu socks, the extra padding around blister prone areas are great.

For puffies and hardshell I tend to look towards mountaineering companies over hunting brands. OR and REI are good and at the cheaper end, Patagonia, Rab, and Arcteryx are the high end options.

Not sure what you have but for sept elk I did some Kuiu Attack pants, a FL merio base layer, a synthetic layer that's a bit heavier and then a OR or REI puffy.
For September how heavy of a base layer would you recommend? Mid or light? 165 or heavier etc??

For September how heavy of a base layer would you recommend? Mid or light? 165 or heavier etc??
First Lite Wick, 150 weight. That'd be the only top I'd wear unless it cooled down. If it was going to be cool, I'd pack the Kiln top which is a 250 weight.

I mix and match I think every brand has stand out pieces.

First Lite is my pick for merino, I have a bunch of their base layers as well as heavier merino stuff. I have the foundry pants and the obsidian. The obsidian weren't as durable as I had hoped, the foundry are my new go to... I love the long zips for heat dumping, the fabric is abrasion resistant and dries fast, and I like the knee pads. I don't like FL rain gear way to heavy IMHO and the DWR doesn't seem to be great. Haven't used the puffies.

Sitka is bomb proof, but also in my experience heaviest in class for everything... just lots of extra pocket, zippers, or whatever. The Jet stream jacket is a great softshell, the timberline pants are also awesome... I wish they had heat zips.

I think you get a ton for your money with Kuiu, I have the attack pants and guide pants. The guide are great for later season hunting, my only gripe is they are a bit baggier than I'd like. Love the kuiu socks, the extra padding around blister prone areas are great.

For puffies and hardshell I tend to look towards mountaineering companies over hunting brands. OR and REI are good and at the cheaper end, Patagonia, Rab, and Arcteryx are the high end options.

Not sure what you have but for sept elk I did some Kuiu Attack pants, a FL merio base layer, a synthetic layer that's a bit heavier and then a OR or REI puffy.
Converted to the Stone Glacier De Havilland Pant because of the heat zips. Love them so far. Obviously not camo, but way more comfortable and a more active fit than my timberline pants

I bought the long sleeve wicking shirt in my avatar for 99 cents.
The pants are wool dress pants I bout for $5.
Both lasted many seasons.
I'm frugal and proud to be frugal. All my hunting partners are also frugal and successful.
I think clothing is over-rated and has little to do with success.
To pay $35 for a Sitka baseball cap seems crazy to me.

I bought the long sleeve wicking shirt in my avatar for 99 cents.
The pants are wool dress pants I bout for $5.
Both lasted many seasons.
I'm frugal and proud to be frugal. All my hunting partners are also frugal and successful.
I think clothing is over-rated and has little to do with success.
To pay $35 for a Sitka baseball cap seems crazy to me.
I know, the hats are expensive ... haha
1683166176746.jpeg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back