SKRE vs. KUUI vs. SITKA vs. First Light

Kuiu is the best bang for the buck.
Agree. I bought my first Kuiu probably 5 years ago and slowly increased my gear. I have most of those same pieces and still wear them each season.

My son likes first lite and picks up their stuff during their Foundary sale each summer. I love how their shirts feel but I’m not a fan of their pants. That sales makes their prices comparable to Kuiu.

Looking into purchasing my clothes for my first Elk Hunt next September. There are so many options and I can't decide what to buy. I already posted a thread about what I need and from that post I learned alot. Good base layer in either 150 or 250, a couple of pants, mid-layer shirts or hoodie and then a puffy or something for early morning insulation.

Trying to decide between the manufacturers listed above. Any thoughts or reviews from those of you that use these manufacturers. One thing that Sitka has going for them that the others don't is they offer a substantial discount for Veterans. The other do as well just not as big as Sitka.

Thanks for any feedback! I love this forum and I've learned a lot that has been helpful getting me ready.
KUIU also honors the GOVX with 20% off your order.

I wouldn't get stuck on exclusively hunting brands. Look for gear that you think will work best for you and your needs. You can outfit yourself in lots of high quality gear that isn't camo for a lot less money if you open yourself up to more options. Outdoor Research, Kuhl, North Face, REI, Eddie Bauer, etc. all make good gear that can be had at good discounts, if you look for them.
That being said, I'm a mut. I wear a mixture of Sitka, First Lite, and some Kuiu along with Outdoor Research and other brands. I've had really good luck with my Kuiu Attack pants, love my Kuiu and Black Ovis base layers, I've got good North Face rain gear, REI puffy, and Sitka 90% jacket.
I don't own anything from Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu.
I do have a raincoat with similar quality from Simms.

Most of my clothes are from Walmart, Amazon, Helly Hansen, Grundens, Duluth Trading Company, Carhartt, etc.
My daily hunting pants are Walmart Wrangler polar fleece lined synthetic and my polar fleece shirt jacket is Amazon Essentials.
I'd rather pay at Walmart $29 than $99 at Sitka for a pair of pants,
at Amazon $25 than $125 at Sitka for a Long-Sleeve Polar Fleece Shirt Jacket.

My commercial fishing raingear is from 1989. My Filson Tin Chaps are from 1982.

Some of the Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu prices seem crazy to me....$279 for a Sitka hoody!

I agree with most saying mix and match. With the prices they better fit great. Unfortunately with several being online only it means returns. Advantage of Sitka is you can actually find it in store sometimes. Personally I like first lite and SG pants and Sitka jackets mainly for how they fit me. The heavy wool FL Henley I live in but for t shirts prefer smart wool.

Probably boils down to personal preference. I have a ton of Sitka gear and some Kuiu. Both fit an average height, slim guy, like me very well. Overall though, I prefer Sitka because for me it seems to be much more durable.

Last edited:
I'm mostly First Lite now. Since meateater acquired them, they've gotten really good. They listen to customers too which is important. Many of us asked for wind stopper in the heavy weight tree stand sets, and they delivered.

Full disclosure, I get a pretty good discount on it, but I can get discounts on some of the others as well, so it's not just for the discount. Great products, and even better customer service.

I was always a mix of what was on sale or given to me. Skre had a sale a few years back and that is what I mainly wear now, mixed with what the day requires.
The base layers that came with the set are merino camo and I wore them once. Too lite, not 180. More like silk.
I wear whatever merino I have anyway from fall to a week ago. Smartwool,REI, cabellas .200 that keeps me warm. What was on sale.
I have not been in a NM monsoon in the Skre yet. It does fit well and is comfortable.

You should’ve asked wranglers vs Levis!!

I like to buy the strengths of each company. FL started out making merino base layers, so I buy their baselayers and that’s it. I have zero experience with SKRE. For outer layers, I favor Sitka, especially their mountain pants and jetstream jacket!

Last edited:
Badlands has some good stuff as well. I've seen kuiu, first lite and Sitka in the field as well. Personal preference, price points and some offer something that others don't. Make a list of what you would wear on a week hunt. Break it down to every day use shell and base layers and cold gear and rain gear.
I have had good luck with Badlands and I know my buddies would say the same about their kuiu/sitka/first lite.

Looking into purchasing my clothes for my first Elk Hunt next September. There are so many options and I can't decide what to buy. I already posted a thread about what I need and from that post I learned alot. Good base layer in either 150 or 250, a couple of pants, mid-layer shirts or hoodie and then a puffy or something for early morning insulation.

Trying to decide between the manufacturers listed above. Any thoughts or reviews from those of you that use these manufacturers. One thing that Sitka has going for them that the others don't is they offer a substantial discount for Veterans. The other do as well just not as big as Sitka.

Thanks for any feedback! I love this forum and I've learned a lot that has been helpful getting me ready.
All these brands tend to use similar high quality fabrics now, which is more important than camo pattern or logo. I like First Lite, however the sizing is unique with some things. I like that First Lite does a lot of solid color options as well, when and if you dont want camo.

Sitka is the only one I know that has a lot of gear in actual stores where you can try on there stuff.

You can always try and return stuff with other brands but still is a pain.

Personally I am a big fan of Ryan Callaghan and Steve Rinella, so choosing to support a company they own is a plus. Especially when its a good company and quality fabrics.

Also, I am not a fan of digital camo, just a personal thing on how it looks. I love the First Lite Fusion.

All in all, there all made with slave labor and over priced lol

Origin Camo is a growing brand, with Jacko and Cam Hanes leading the charge. I dont like the camo pattern but well see if the apparel is worth it. Would be cool to buy American but only if its good stuff. We will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back