SKRE vs. KUUI vs. SITKA vs. First Light

markwilks

Looking into purchasing my clothes for my first Elk Hunt next September. There are so many options and I can't decide what to buy. I already posted a thread about what I need and from that post I learned alot. Good base layer in either 150 or 250, a couple of pants, mid-layer shirts or hoodie and then a puffy or something for early morning insulation.

Trying to decide between the manufacturers listed above. Any thoughts or reviews from those of you that use these manufacturers. One thing that Sitka has going for them that the others don't is they offer a substantial discount for Veterans. The other do as well just not as big as Sitka.

Thanks for any feedback! I love this forum and I've learned a lot that has been helpful getting me ready.

I’ve been pretty happy with the skre hard scrabble pants and rain gear.
I don’t hate the hardscrabble soft shell jacket, but it’s not amazing.
I really liked the uinta early season pants, but they’re pretty fragile and I’ve torn several holes in them.
I shrunk the merino wool midlayer pretty bad in the dryer and for the price I’d rather have smart wool so
I look cuter during apres.

I wouldn't get stuck on exclusively hunting brands. Look for gear that you think will work best for you and your needs. You can outfit yourself in lots of high quality gear that isn't camo for a lot less money if you open yourself up to more options. Outdoor Research, Kuhl, North Face, REI, Eddie Bauer, etc. all make good gear that can be had at good discounts, if you look for them.
That being said, I'm a mut. I wear a mixture of Sitka, First Lite, and some Kuiu along with Outdoor Research and other brands. I've had really good luck with my Kuiu Attack pants, love my Kuiu and Black Ovis base layers, I've got good North Face rain gear, REI puffy, and Sitka 90% jacket.

Check out John Barklow’s 8 layer system. Then choose pieces from whatever brand you like there. Agree above, mix and match and don’t be hung up on it being one specific brand. That being said, if you get a deep discount on Sitka, in my opinion that’s quality gear and you’d be set up well.

It doesn't really matter between all of those and you can certainly buy from different brands and mix and match (no matter what the influencers tell you). I like Stone Glacier stuff best. It just fits me well and they're at the point where they're young enough that they don't have a bazillion things to choose from (yet). Mostly just the essentials. I imagine they'll do some sort of military discount. Can't really go wrong with the brands you mentioned tho.

Looking into purchasing my clothes for my first Elk Hunt next September. There are so many options and I can't decide what to buy. I already posted a thread about what I need and from that post I learned alot. Good base layer in either 150 or 250, a couple of pants, mid-layer shirts or hoodie and then a puffy or something for early morning insulation.

Trying to decide between the manufacturers listed above. Any thoughts or reviews from those of you that use these manufacturers. One thing that Sitka has going for them that the others don't is they offer a substantial discount for Veterans. The other do as well just not as big as Sitka.

Thanks for any feedback! I love this forum and I've learned a lot that has been helpful getting me ready.
Why not go to a military surplus store and save yourself some dough? The products have already been thoroughly tested in demanding environments for basically the same purposes (to stalk and hunt prey). Added benefit is you can pretend to be Forrest Gump.

I would not know what to buy these days with all the new gear. I had all my cammies, etc from the service when I started working for outfitters, circa '82 and we were in the backcountry with some good horses. I had wool bibs with cargo pockets and a hodgepodge of clothing for layered warmth. Pack boots and some good hiking boots for the hunts. Chicks would have really dug me had I had all the options you guys have now!

I just picked up another one of these in that drab green color. My first one is still going but I absolutely love it. $50 isn't horrible.

I also have a mix-n-match outfit, but mostly non-hunting brands in earth tones that I get in the offseason or through other deals. REI has some sales going on now.

I have Kuiu and love it. But I’m sure you could put any brand in there and I’d say the same. My regret is I wish I had bought more solids. These clothes are expensive and I feel funny wearing my camo outside of season.

I’ve like my black Ovis pants, shirts, and socks. Their prices are decent too.

I have Kuiu and love it. But I’m sure you could put any brand in there and I’d say the same. My regret is I wish I had bought more solids. These clothes are expensive and I feel funny wearing my camo outside of season.
VERY popular for kids here to wear kuiu and sitka to school, no solids just camo.

VERY popular for kids here to wear kuiu and sitka to school, no solids just camo.
Same here. I see guys at the store or at dinner with a Kuiu camo shirt or Jacket. I’m just not that guy that wears camo in public, other then the 2-3 months of the year it may be socially acceptable.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back