Caribou Gear Tarp

Sitka gear for Montana hunt

1whohunts

I am new to Montana, and I want to invest in Sitka clothing. Not sure which shirts or pants I need to buy? Any advice from people who have it and hunt in Montana would be great.

Don't limit yourself to just Sitka, Kyrptex, KUIU and the standard backpacking companies (Patgonia, Mountain Hardware, etc.) are good alternatives as well.

That said, much of it depends on what you want to hunt, but go with a standard layering methodology.

Base layer - merino wool or stinky synthetic
Insulation - down or primaloft
Outer - softshell type material with DWR finish that will handle light rain, wet brush and light snow.
Shell - waterproof layer for when it really starts to rain/snow also acts as a good wind blocker as well.

Have you checked out Sitka's website? They have a "system builder" that narrows down what gear is best suited in certain situations. For example, most of my hunting is done in the late season chasing elk at rolling to steep terrain. So, I'd choose the Coldfront jacket over the Ascent.

I've invested heavily in sitka and can't wait to try something different. I've had a lot of issues with stuff falling apart and it's always the most expensive out there. I'm with JRyoung on this one.

I agree with a few of the others here, don't limit yourself. My hunting buddy had a pair a sitka pants come unstitched 2 days into one of our hunts. Kinda disappointing considering the cost. I am sure plenty of hunters love the stuff and that is fine if it works for them. I hunt in a lot of "hiking type gear" which can be costly as well but sure does work well as far as performance goes. I did get a Badlands jacket and pants to try this fall, its not quite as expensive, they have a great warranty, and seems to be very well made. Guess I will be able to comment on how good or bad it is by next winter. Good luck!

For those of you who have had issues have you spoke with customer service. I had a pair of mountain pants have a stitch come out and they replaced them at no cost and over nighted them for free and got me back in the field. Love the stuff. For sure look at the system builder great place to start.

I have virtually everything in the Sitka lineup. I find myself usually going to one of two different sets that I use 95% of the time in Montana, depending upon time of year.

In early season, I am using Ascent pants and a layered top, usually with a Core Zip-T as my outer layer. If it is cold in the morning, a Merino wool layer will usually suffice.

In colder seasons, I am using the Timberline Pants and a Jetstream Jacket, both with layered systems underneath.

My preference for these might be due to the kind of hunting I normally do. Lots of hiking, followed by lots of glassing. Obviously, stationary hunting would probably call for something different.

For those that have had ANY issues with their Sitka Gear, I would suggest calling their office, now located here in Bozeman. They take those kind of things very seriously, not just for customer satisfaction, but because they want to know about the how/when factors.

Good luck.

I will be doing the same type of hunting in montana. what sitka clothing do you do for layering. I know nothing about Sitka gear, its not needed in alabama. In alabama in January during the rut you need shorts....

1whohunts- If Sitka is on your wish list don't let me dissuade you from purchasing. However, I've found that for nearly all the hunting I do, Cabela Microtex is a much cheaper alternative and performs very well.

I will be doing the same type of hunting in montana. what sitka clothing do you do for layering. I know nothing about Sitka gear, its not needed in alabama. In alabama in January during the rut you need shorts....

I go with these, in differing amounts of layers, depending upon conditions.

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/next-to-skin/merino-zip-t#.UU_PkBzviSo

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/next-to-skin/merino-bottoms#.UU_QQxzviSo

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/next-to-skin/core-bottom#.UU_QYRzviSo

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/insulation/traverse-bottom#.UU_QoBzviSo

With this one being the more durable and versatile of any base layer I have. I currently have two of these, each with three seasons on them. They get worn for about 50 days per season. Still working perfectly and I expect to get many more years out of them.

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/next-to-skin/core-zip-t#.UU_P3hzviSo

Regardless of what brand you go with, breathable, layered systems are what will make or break the comfort of your day.

My wife and I both wear Sitka. We have had our pants for three full season and hunted probably an average of 35 days in the field per season and our pants show no wear sign.

Additionally, we have had more close encounters since wearing the digital camo too including a bull elk at 1 yd in the wide open. I truely believe in the digital camo pattern. I wear the open country and my wife wears the forest. Both seem to work good but to my eyes the open country blends in all environments best.

For those of you who have had issues have you spoke with customer service. I had a pair of mountain pants have a stitch come out and they replaced them at no cost and over nighted them for free and got me back in the field. Love the stuff. For sure look at the system builder great place to start.

I have not and I should. My plan was to wait till the end of deer season and that was two months ago so I need to call. One of the pieces is the Coldfront jacket and it's too good to go to waste. It's like the Jetstream on steriods.

I have not and I should. My plan was to wait till the end of deer season and that was two months ago so I need to call. One of the pieces is the Coldfront jacket and it's too good to go to waste. It's like the Jetstream on steriods.

If you treat them good over the phone they return the favor.

Coming from Alabama, you will need a base layer top and bottom even in the early season.temps in the morning when I hunted there was around 28*,but warmed up quick after 9-9:30am.Your not use to cold like the guys from Mt are.I wear 90% pants and Celsius jacket with baselayers for the morning hunts.Afternoons it pretty warm right till the sun sets then it gets cold quick.
I also have microtex and its pretty good and affordable.Sitka is just way more comfortable esp. climbing thru blow downs

Sitka is a great layering system. Most people that complain about it buy a piece or two and expect it to magically upgrade the rest of their clothing. I have hunted all over the west but only have hunted mule deer and mountain lion in Montana. The Sitka is very versitile and you can get thru a ton of conditions with their Merino base layers, traverse layer, ascent pants early and mountain pants late, a jetstream jacket and a kelvin vest. No matter where I go I always have a kelvin vest in my pack. Compresses down to nothing and is super warm.

Sitka is a great layering system. Most people that complain about it buy a piece or two and expect it to magically upgrade the rest of their clothing. I have hunted all over the west but only have hunted mule deer and mountain lion in Montana. The Sitka is very versitile and you can get thru a ton of conditions with their Merino base layers, traverse layer, ascent pants early and mountain pants late, a jetstream jacket and a kelvin vest. No matter where I go I always have a kelvin vest in my pack. Compresses down to nothing and is super warm.

I don't think anyone was bashing Sitka, they are just pointing out you can get pieces of the "system" cheaper from other sources.

I wish I could afford the sitka gear. I hear it is suppose to be the top of the line hunting clothing.

In colder seasons, I am using the Timberline Pants and a Jetstream Jacket, both with layered systems underneath.

Big Fin,

What do you use for layering under the Jetstream jacket when it is cold? I'm guessing the Merino zip-t and the Kelvin vest/jacket? Also, with all that layering does a guy need to order the jacket one size bigger?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back