Single shot rifles

rmauch20

After seeing a picture of someone’s 1885 Winchester it peaked my interest in single shot rifles. Been trying to find a Henry .243 single shot for a couple weeks now to put my hands on but haven’t had any luck. Seems a lot cheaper than a Ruger No 1 or Winchester 1885. For those that use them for hunting, if there is anyone, do you have any regrets about taking a single shot rifle.Other than the speed and ease of reloading.

I'll let you know in 4 weeks, but at the range my new 1885 .270 is a tack driver (with handloads, 0.6 MOA prone off bipod, 0.9 MOA sitting off metcalf pack), so no reason to doubt it will all I need in the field.

I bought an encore years ago. I picked up a couple rifle barrels. Hunted with it one season. I didnt care for it although it was very accurate. I just prefered a bolt action. I do like it as a pistol. I sold the rifle barrels and bought a few pistol barrels. That was my only experience with single shots.

I have hunted with single shot rifles from Alaska to Africa for decades. I almost never use anything else. They are more efficient, for handsome, more elegant, and just more enjoyable than any type of firearm ever made. Relative to what you are talking about, I prefer them will rimmed cartridge, external hammers and Iron sights. Never a regret.

I really enjoy shooting and hunting with a single shot. With enough practice, you can reload pretty quickly. It's never caused me to lose an opportunity to harvest an animal. Like Brent said, there's just some intangibles that go along with shooting a single shot that can't be replicated imo. I own ARs, and bolts as well, I'll use those for coyote hunting and range time mostly. An 1885 isn't cheap, but you definitely only cry once.

I hunt with H&Rs some, used to almost exclusively until starting to hunt out west years ago. I do still like them, but Indiana has expanded the number of legal cartridges you can use for deer hunting, so now I mostly use a bolt action.

I really like the looks of the Henry singles. I've been tempted to pick one up, but just don't have a real need for one.

I really don’t have a need for one either but it’s definitely pretty high and my want category. If I can find a Henry at 2:43 I think I’m going to pick it up. I don’t believe I can justify the price of a 1885 even though they are absolutely beautiful rifles.

Good luck in your search.

The 85s are the most handsome of all rifles. But there are many different variants and many different makers. Not all are are created equal.

I hunted bucks with two different single shots during a good long portion of my most productive years. One was a Ruger #1a, a nice solid gun in 30-06 that after hunting with the other, a Browning, was nice enough but to me, felt heavier and thicker of wood than it needed to be. The Browning B-78 was a graceful dream firearm for my needs and though just the one shot, i can't remember ever needing a quick second. Mine back then had a 28" tube that seemed shorter, chambered in 6mm which put them down, i thought, surprisingly well. I keep looking and once in awhile i see one with the octagon barrel in 25-06, a rig that is on the wish list but not a high priority purchase.

I've hunted with several. First was a single shot incorporated 1885 high wall in 45-70. Got a Antelope with it. I used a Lyman cast 459193 that weighed 420 cast 30-1. Next I bought a Shiloh Sharps 1874 #3 in 45-70. I shot several Whitetail Bucks with it using 400gr Speer flat points. I had the Sharps chambered out to 45 2.6 or known as 45-100. I plan on using it this year. It will be loaded with a healthy dose of Old Eynsford 1.5 and a 495 grain Brooks flat point. It should be fun.

Dan

Good luck in your search.

The 85s are the most handsome of all rifles. But there are many different variants and many different makers. Not all are are created equal.

Brent I agree the 1885 is the most handsome rifle, second only to the 1874 Sharps. You know Sharps did make the west safe for Winchesters didn't you. ;)

Dan

Dan, the Sharps, especially the 74 Sharps, is about as handsome as a roofing hammer. Utilitarian as all get out but hardly the Belle of the ball.

If you want a handsome Sharps, it's gotta be an 1877 preferably from Axtell, if not from Christian himself.

77Sharpssmall.jpg

Sharp's may have made the West safe for Winchester, but that was only after the Hawken brothers made the West safe for Sharps. :)

I have a T/C Encore with a 20” bull barrel in 308 Winchester from the custom shop. It is a nice handling rifle, but definitely no lightweight with the bull barrel.

I am waiting for Lipsey’s to commission a Ruger No. 1 Stainless Light Sporter in 338-06. Topped with a Leupold 2.5-8 or a Swarovski 3-9 and loaded with some Barnes or Swift bullets, I would have a heck good elk rifle. I haven’t heard any rumors that this is in the works, it is just wishful thinking.

Dan, the Sharps, especially the 74 Sharps, is about as handsome as a roofing hammer. Utilitarian as all get out but hardly the Belle of the ball.

If you want a handsome Sharps, it's gotta be an 1877 preferably from Axtell, if not from Christian himself.

77Sharpssmall.jpg

Sharp's may have made the West safe for Winchester, but that was only after the Hawken brothers made the West safe for Sharps. :)

Yes sir the Hawken brothers built some nice rifles. Roofing Hammer dang you have some incredibly awesome hammers you are a lucky man.

I've got one of those roofing hammer rifles too. It's pretty darn functional, but not so functional. .45-2.6" too. :)

Oryx.jpg

I've got one of those roofing hammer rifles too. It's pretty darn functional, but not so functional. .45-2.6" too. :)

Oryx.jpg

Nice rifle. Mine was a 45 2.1 but I had the need to improve performance, Should have done some more research and kept it as it was. The extra 1/2 inch doesn't do that much, but live and learn. I like the pistol grip you added. If I remember right you did a thread on the Shiloh forum about it.

27767217-2959-4B16-AB3E-9F5C77C47D87.jpg
I had a Ruger #1 rebarrelled with a Lilja and chambered in 300 Tomahawk ( improved 300 RUM). I have taken elk with it from 35 to 700 yds and never felt that I needed something else while in the field. While heavier than a stock #1, it is still pleasant to carry and shoot.

Never felt undergunned with a single shot. I love the #1's for functionality and ease of carry and they styling is reminicient of the old Farquarhson's which were, IMO far superior stylistically to the American offerings.

A couple of mine:

Ruger #1 Medium Sporter in 9.3x74R. I've refinished the stock and traded out the 2.5x8 for a 1.5x5 VX3i.

15107411_10210975092803964_3513156366407586383_n.jpg

Shiloh Sharps in 40-90 SS w/the Leatherwood repro Wlm Malcom 6 power scope.

Sharps3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back