Silly but Serious Question

Do you paint or darken your face for close stalks?

• Gotta give it the tiger stripe, bro! #forthegram

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TexAg09

Hey guys, I'm gearing up for my first archery elk hunt, and I have a silly but real question. Do you ever paint your face or anything like that in anticipation of close stalks? I grew up duck hunting and I'm very aware of the shine my face can give off, so I often will burn a wine cork and rub it on my face to darken it and reduce any shininess. I now do this for most of my hunts including deer and coyotes. I was planning on doing this for my elk hunt, but is it necessary?
IMG_20221120_070011_HDR.jpg

I sweat way too much for it and it makes a mess of everything for me. If I have time, I pull a facemask on, but then it messes with my anchor when I draw. Elk eyes see movement more than color when you are in close.

Facemask here. Spouse has a beard and sometimes does not wear one, but usually does too.

Don't forget to wash off your makeup if you come to town.
Ask a guy in the grocery store one time how his elk hunt was going, he looked at me and asked how I knew he was archery hunting. You still have your face paint on I said, he laughed.

Yep , agree on the movement part Elky.
I think a pattern helps break up your outline, color not so important.

I think it’s funny that people go through all the trouble for face paint, then forget the back of their hand that they’re going to stick out in front of them.

I just stick with a face mask/hood and wear a real light glove on my bow hand.

A hunting guide/friend convinced me of the 'be the decoy' elk hat that I hauled around on my head and over hill/dale last year. Much more embarassing than face paint. Still 0-2 for archery hunting years v elk taken. 🤦‍♀️

no facemask for me, hold still and it doesn't matter, does seem like I shoot a lot of elk with my hood up though... I do find gloves to be mandatory, at least on my bow hand, lots of mandatory movement to get a shot off, and every little bit there helps.

I never understood the whole face painting thing. Seems a bit ridiculous to paint your face and wear an orange vest. lol

I wear a facemask turkey hunting and timber hunting for mallards. Thats it.

Back