MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Winter Coyote Strategies? +a bonus question

Is it skylined or skylighted? Or? I always thought it was skylined. I into the other.

• Skylighted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skylit

• Other

• Total voters

Hammsolo

Morning All, I spent yesterday morning chasing coyotes South of Cheney, WA. I love it. The scab lands create such an amazing terrain. To the I90 driver it appears flat but is loaded with dips, pockets, cliffs, and more everywhere. You can gain and lose 1000 feet of elevation in a day, while never getting a 100 feet higher or lower from where you started.

I am a fairly novice predator hunter, but love it. I have a couple mouth calls, a cheaper Primos Dogg Catcher e-caller, my 6.5 mb (man bun as some of you say), range finder, binos, cover scents and quality camo as my core kit.

I focus on being quiet at the truck, quiet on the walk with the wind in my face. I choose slightly elevated sets with something like a cliff covering my back. I try to sit still (which is hard), scan terrain with my eyes, and then binos. I start a calling sequence and then use my eyes more than binos while searching for movement.

I got one yearling yesterday, and heard loads of serenades during my two morning sets. It was cold with a brisk wind. The snow was crunchy.

I love how challenging it is to hunt yotes. It’s funny how I see piles while deer hunting…

So, a few questions need answering. What tips and tricks do you have for me? What wisdom? What statements? Yes, ones like you’re a dumba$$.

The bonus poll question came to me when researching coyotes and coyote hunting.

I’m interested to learn as well. Ive only called two coyotes successfully into range, the first in September bow hunting with kisses, from 300 to about 50 yards. The other i drug turkey decoys out, this time of year, and did a few turkey yelps and kee Kees and then tried to sound a coyote fight over those birds, with a mouth call. I’d never seen a turkey in this area EVER. Which is why I tried something unconventional. It worked. I asked Brockel what kind of calls he likes to work with too, because it always seems to be the one you’re not really sure of that works.. haha

I’ve pondered turkeys. The spots I hunt are loaded with turkey and I found a pile of evidence of coyotes hunting turkey down in the creek bottom. This must happen during the day right? I even know where the turkeys roost. What does a turkey yote fight sound like? Injured turkey?

Image result for wile e coyote gif

The coyotes were serenading all day off in the distance. What do you do? A wind in the face stalk?

The coyotes were serenading all day off in the distance. What do you do? A wind in the face stalk?
Howl and let their curiosity get the best of them? Like many animals they know there is safety in numbers so they seem to often wanna take a quick look for the “other yotes”.. seem to always spot me from wayyyy farther than I thought they were.

I tried to sound like a dying ass turkey with crappy broken loud yelps and two yotes yipping and barking and growling. I have absolutely no idea man I’m so novice too!! 😂🤣

Sky LINED…

As your “outlined” by the sky.

AKA military crest.

I am looking at a JBL outdoor speaker and a cat toy on a stick. You can download MP3 calls onto your phone and play them that way. Speakers only $80-100 depending on the one you get.

Sky LINED…

AKA military crest.

I am looking at a JBL outdoor speaker and a cat toy on a stick. You can download MP3 calls onto your phone and play them that way. Speakers only $80-100 depending on the one you get.
I’ve been using a “beats pill” like a JBL also, and the Bluetooth connection distance is less than optimal.. have to keep it relatively close to your shooting position, but it is way more affordable than a new foxpro

Morning All, I spent yesterday morning chasing coyotes South of Cheney, WA. I love it. The scab lands create such an amazing terrain. To the I90 driver it appears flat but is loaded with dips, pockets, cliffs, and more everywhere. You can gain and lose 1000 feet of elevation in a day, while never getting a 100 feet higher or lower from where you started.

I am a fairly novice predator hunter, but love it. I have a couple mouth calls, a cheaper Primos Dogg Catcher e-caller, my 6.5 mb (man bun as some of you say), range finder, binos, cover scents and quality camo as my core kit.

I focus on being quiet at the truck, quiet on the walk with the wind in my face. I choose slightly elevated sets with something like a cliff covering my back. I try to sit still (which is hard), scan terrain with my eyes, and then binos. I start a calling sequence and then use my eyes more than binos while searching for movement.

I got one yearling yesterday, and heard loads of serenades during my two morning sets. It was cold with a brisk wind. The snow was crunchy.

I love how challenging it is to hunt yotes. It’s funny how I see piles while deer hunting…

So, a few questions need answering. What tips and tricks do you have for me? What wisdom? What statements? Yes, ones like you’re a dumba$$.

Call with a cross wind. 99% of coyotes are going to circle downwind when coming in. Easier to cover your downwind side. If you make a set and have coyotes howling off in the distance and they don’t come in close the distance and try again.

Howl and let their curiosity get the best of them? Like many animals they know there is safety in numbers so they seem to often wanna take a quick look for the “other yotes”.. seem to always spot me from wayyyy farther than I thought they were.

I tried to sound like a dying ass turkey with crappy broken loud yelps and two yotes yipping and barking and growling. I have absolutely no idea man I’m so novice too!! 😂🤣
I’m trying to be willing to fail! I appreciate you going for it. Why in the he 🏒 🏒 do I care? I’ll bring my decoys and calls next time.

Sky LINED…

AKA military crest.

What the hell am I thinking!?! I have an amazing Jbl Partybox! I’ll turn off the lights and turn down the bass I guess. Any good places for MP3s?

1671505593150.jpeg

I've stalked Red Fox since the early 60's, the coyotes since 1968. Hunting them on open rolling hills. Speaking of walking in on a sleeper or walking in to make a call stand. "With the wind in your face". Is a bad tactic. Because both canines spend the vast majority of their time. On down-wind slopes. While they either mill around or bed down to sleep. A hunter may get away with wind in their face occasionally on the hills with a Red Fox. But extremely rare on a coyote. Because MOST coyotes often are looking to their down-wind & cross-wind areas. Whether the coyote(s) are bedded down or up on their feet.

Way I see it. "Wind in your face" walking in. A hunter may get away with that tactic more readily. IF that flat land has a lot of ground cover. Taller than a standing coyote can see.

I've stalked Red Fox since the early 60's, the coyotes since 1968. Hunting them on open rolling hills. Speaking of walking in on a sleeper or walking in to make a call stand. "With the wind in your face". Is a bad tactic. Because both canines spend the vast majority of their time. On down-wind slopes. While they either mill around or bed down to sleep. A hunter may get away with wind in their face occasionally on the hills with a Red Fox. But extremely rare on a coyote. Because MOST coyotes often are looking to their down-wind & cross-wind areas. Whether the coyote(s) are bedded down or up on their feet.

Way I see it. "Wind in your face" walking in. A hunter may get away with that tactic more readily. IF that flat land has a lot of ground cover. Taller than a standing coyote can see.
How do you get to stand without being scented? Crosswind? I appreciate all tips.

How do you get to stand without being scented? Crosswind? I appreciate all tips.
Whether I'm stalking in on a sleeper coyote. Or walking in to call a stand of timber. In a perfect World. I sneak in to within a 1/4 mile of the timber stand. From the 10:00 or 2:00 angle. The coyote or ground cover being the center of the clock dial. Reason being, I'm angled up & cross wind from the coyote or call stand. Thus, the coyote most likely will not see me nor scent me. The only hurdle I have to over come then is. Being quiet enough so the coyote can not hear me. Good hunting

I believe a canines field of vision is roughly 120 degrees. IF I can not see it's eyes, it can not see me. On hilly terrain the worst tactic whether stalking or calling is. Walking into an area with the wind in your face. Any self respecting coyote up ahead over the next rise. Will see you & your movement from long range. Game over unless that coyote happens to be the village idiot. Which is extremely rare in my experiences.

Flat land with heavy ground cover. A hunter can sometimes get away with. Walking into a call stand with the wind in the face method. I've stalked sleeper coyotes with a few callers. They clomped into the area like a cow wearing a neck bell. Clueless as to a coyote's hearing ability. Regardless of whether sneaking in on a sleeper or call stand. Be stealthy quiet like a cat stalking an un-suspecting bird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back