Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sika Stag Stalking

Alan413

Hi Guys

So sorry i have not been on for a long time?

just broken my leg so have a lot of time on my hands now.

Back in Oct i got asked buy a mate to have a crack at a Big Sika stag.
i jumped at the chance.

i planned it to go in rut.

As soon as i got to the ground (10,000 acres) i could her the stag whistling.
20170917_090857_resized.jpg

i stalked into a group of deer but there was only young stags.

i didnt get a shot in the morning but saw 50-70 deer. Nothing i wanted to shoot.

Had i quick bite to eat then i was back at it. Stalked down a nice gully with a big wallow and scrape marks.
20170917_142547_resized.jpg

i sat for a good hour watching a hind and calf
20170917_135928_resized.jpg

she would stop chewing the cud and would start watching something.

Here he came with his head up high. not a monster but a nice 8 pointer.

Ranged him at 306 yards. Crosshair up 6 inch above his heart. Boom.
Down he goes, but gets back up and runs up and into the trees.
i waited 10 mins and went for a look.
Here he was just in the tree line
20170917_150821_resized_1.jpg
20170917_172613_resized.jpg

He was stinking.

Stunning deer.

Hard as nails. he had no heart left and still ran.

Thanks for reading

Alan

PS if you want more Sika photos let me know.

Congrats love those little deer we have them in eastern Virginia in a few spots. Always wanted to hunt them in the rut.

So much fun in the rut. the noise is unreal. so weird.
FB_IMG_1516304668344.jpg
received_1733677976644797.jpg
FB_IMG_1516304729691.jpg

Attachments

• received_1878776622136624.jpg
    received_1878776622136624.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 146
Beautiful country ! and good story and pics.

That one with crown points looks like a cross with a Red, is that even possible ?

Thanks very much.
Sika can breed with reds but there is no reds in this area.
Just a big old boy with a mallform head.
Wonder how many hunters have walked past him. With him being a couple of tree lines in.

Congratulations on a beautiful deer! Looks like that timber is very thick and what a great looking gully you found him in. Good luck on getting over that leg and getting back to hunting so you can share more of these great photos.

I have chased them in VA and MD, but I have never seen ones like those. Sorry about your leg. Continue healing well and congratulations on your trophy.

They are tough animals just like you said and often soak up perfect hits with little reaction.

You need to hit them hard. Neck shots are the best because the area is that thick so easy to lose them.

There is a bronze medal and a couple of silver's and one gold medal stag.
If anyone wants to come shoot them let me know.

Great seeing sika hunting in the other side of the world. Some nice heads there. I hunt sika in the roar and they certainly a great deer to chase in the bush.

We have some good size public land sika but not as big as Japan I believe. They do get to 10 points (5x5), with 3 on the top, on public land. The safari deer are bigger.

I think our sika came from England and where originally the Korean and Japanese species. Here in New Zealand they have bred with reds a fair bit.

Let me know if you want to have a crack at them over here.
They are not easy stalking but they taste amazing.
Can also go out lamping for foxes.

Well done and told! I enjoy see hunting from other places. That's some very neat country your were hunting.

Thanks very much.

Got a lot of time on my hands the now.

Sika are like little neds. They will take the piss out of a big red stag up in the highlands.

thanks
Alan

Great pics and animals. I plan on being back in the UK (Suffolk ) for my 50 th in 2019 so I will have to try and at least have a beer with our British HTers. Am looking at possibly doing some hunting while I am there too as I have a buddy(English) that I am trying to get into hunting. Best wishes on a quick heal up!!

Thanks very much.

Lots of animals up here in Scotland if you can get up for a day or two i can help sort out some hunting.

Cheers
Alan

I hunt sika every year in Maryland. Ours don't get that big, or live in such beautiful areas. Scotland is definitely on my list!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back