Side-by-Side Shotguns

If your name is not Ben or April then you will most likely have to do what I do.

Find a cheap shotgun that hopefully will work and if it dont then sell it and try again.

April, those days are not gone forever, but Brent is right, you research it a much a possible, order it and pray .

My grandfather tells us stories of finding shotguns and rifles in various local places, but I dot find it a easy as he did.

Some of the shotguns manufacturers you and Ben mentioned I had never heard of. and definitely could not afford.

Hell, my igloo cost less than some of the shotguns you two like o_O

If your name is not Ben or April then you will most likely have to do what I do.

Find a cheap shotgun that hopefully will work and if it dont then sell it and try again.

April, those days are not gone forever, but Brent is right, you research it a much a possible, order it and pray .

My grandfather tells us stories of finding shotguns and rifles in various local places, but I dot find it a easy as he did.

Some of the shotguns manufacturers you and Ben mentioned I had never heard of. and definitely could not afford.

Hell, my igloo cost less than some of the shotguns you two like o_O

I want to see that igloo!

But seriously, a very decent shotgun can be had for the price of your favorite 1873. I think some people are adverse to spending as much on a shotty as on a rifle and scope. Yet, most of us (but maybe not Panda) will use our shotguns much more than our rifles.

Thank y'all for the information. I am learning a lot. Like I mentioned before, my local gun shop sells new SKBs. I really like the way they feel. I will use that as my point of reference and do my best to try to find others to put my hands on. @Ben Lamb Do you know of any gun stores in Helena or Bozeman that might be worth visiting?

Thank y'all for the information. I am learning a lot. Like I mentioned before, my local gun shop sells new SKBs. I really like the way they feel. I will use that as my point of reference and do my best to try to find others to put my hands on. @Ben Lamb Do you know of any gun stores in Helena or Bozeman that might be worth visiting?

Do not miss this place in Bozeman . Much will be high priced, but the value will hold. It is also a place to learn a lot.

The unfortunate thing about the most expensive English guns is the only people that can afford one are usually the worst shots, this is based on my own personal observations!
Many years ago I used to 'beat' on a shoot, at the end of the season we had a little competition, 'beaters' against 'guns' on the clays, guess who won!
And another story, on a neighbouring commercial shoot, very rich Prince from a Far East country aimed at a pheasant with his posh gun, and peppered a 'beater' with a low shot, to avoid any bad press he gave him, yes gave him his Range Rover, but I would have demanded he hand over his shotgun, it would have been worth more today than a car!

I started off with a Baikal single barrel when I was a kid, then onto the O/U, I never really hankered after a S/S and I am an Englishman!
But I wouldn't turn down a S/S Purdey, Holland & Holland, William Powell, or Westley Richards but I don't have any wealthy relatives to hand me one down.
However, I still marvel at the skills of the best gunmakers and their skilled engravers, we have a shop close to me that sells top of the range guns and I still take a look.
A shooting friend of mine partner is an engraver, she makes some serious money!
At the end of the day as long as it hits what you are aiming at does it matter O/U or S/S?

Cheers

Richard

At the end of the day as long as it hits what you are aiming at does it matter O/U or S/S?

Absolutely! Absolutely!

At the end of the day, if it gets you to the bar and back, does it matter if it a used Yugo or a Maserati? Of course it does.

And beware there are plenty of English gun shooters that know how to shoot (I may not be one of them :( )

The gun library at the Billings Cabelas may have a few decent used doubles in there as well.

Hill is a great store to go shop. There's a Westly Richards store too, but that's expensive even thinking of heading into.

Helena is a dearth for doubles. We get a few decent ones at Capitol from time to time, but they generally stock new firearms. If you want to look at a new Browning or Franchi, then by all means, shop Helena. If you want a classic firearm, then Hill's is the best bet in MT at the moment.

The gun library at the Billings Cabelas may have a few decent used doubles in there as well.

They will also ship guns from their other stores. I paid $20 to ship mine from Dallas to the local store, with no obligation to buy. I thought that was more than fair.

"Man with Italian Supermodel Girlfriend looks longingly at German BeerMaiden."

With shotguns, unlike women (for most of us at least), you can have more than one. Quite a few more than one. I love supermodels and beer maids, but right now, I want a supermodel.

What am I missing? Gunbroker has a pile of SxS of the makers Ben mentioned for under a grand.

Nothing. You are missing nothing. A grand will buy a very nice gun. They are more affordable than some would think. But learn what to look for.

Nothing. You are missing nothing. A grand will buy a very nice gun. They are more affordable than some would think. But learn what to look for.

Lots of variations & condition issues that need to be thought through before just plunking down some cash. Extractors or ejectors? LOP, Cast, Rise, metal condition, wood condition, provenance, are the barrels sound, chamber length, choke, etc all are critical influences on the firearm.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back