Side-by-Side Shotguns

We're just getting started. :)
Much like Southern Elk, I just want to learn more. On your list @Ben Lamb , I know what extractor vs ejectors are, and I know what LOP is, and what choke is, but often not how to tell (seems like I've seen several that don't have it listed on the sides of the barrel). Would you care to extrapolate?

Ejectors will eject the empty hull out via springs. Extractors simply push them back out of the chamber about 3/8" so you can pull them out. The choke is usually stamped on the bottom of the barrels where it mates up to the receiver. This is also where you'll likely find the chamber dimensions and serial number.

Dear Sir,

Welcome to the magical world of reading runes, er, proof marks. This exciting new hobby will consume hours of your time, so please don't engage in this until you're ready to sit down & research the most esoteric and pedantic realm of firearms manufacturing. The flats of the barrels will tell you the history of the gun from it's start as a piece of steel to it's finished state, with some guns offering even post-birth tales if properly proofed & marked. You can glean the date of manufacture, chambering, choke, gauge, etc by following the confusing and poorly drawn items in the articles below:

Proofs can also be flat dead wrong because the gun was modified after proofing and was not reproofed as it should/would be in England or Europe.

Find a gun you like, and point it out. There are plenty of people here to help you learn. Don't be in a hurry, but have your dollars lined up for when a good opportunity arises.

In time, anyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps to become an elite "Gun Snob". :)

Proofs can also be flat dead wrong because the gun was modified after proofing and was not reproofed as it should/would be in England or Europe.

True, but the average would indicate proofs generally telling the story of the gun.

Right, but, for instance, never trust chamber length of even chokes. These are easily checked - for some people. And lengthening chambers, in particular, can lead to unsafe guns. That's why I caution.

Anyway, I bet you would be willing to help our OP look at the pluses and minuses and need for caution on any particular gun he might find. I would be happy too as well, but you are probably better qualified.

I'm always excited to bring another person to the fold. Just want the "first time" to be a great experience :)

I've looked at what feels like 100s just like it and I can't tell a good deal from a bad.

That's a pretty solid candidate. For under $1k, it would be worth it. Since it's a trade gun, made by someone else and marketed by another company & it's a non-premium gun, I'd have no issues opening up the chokes & lengthening the chambers in it. That would add about $250 to overall costs, but would make it a solid gun for the next 50 years.

That's a pretty solid candidate. For under $1k, it would be worth it. Since it's a trade gun, made by someone else and marketed by another company & it's a non-premium gun, I'd have no issues opening up the chokes & lengthening the chambers in it. That would add about $250 to overall costs, but would make it a solid gun for the next 50 years.
Yeah. Wood quality is very ordinary. Screws are in good condition.

I can't remember the guy's name, but when I had my chokes bored I used a gunsmith in New York. He was by far the cheapest and had a very quick turnaround time.

Yeah. Wood quality is very ordinary. Screws are in good condition.

I can't remember the guy's name, but when I had my chokes bored I used a gunsmith in New York. He was by far the cheapest and had a very quick turnaround time.

I think my smith charged me something around $40 per barrel here in Helena. It was more expensive to lengthen the chamber & forcing cones than to open the chokes.

And I'd gladly help chuck the plastic monstrosity into the drink. Tres gauche.

Absolutely! Absolutely!

At the end of the day, if it gets you to the bar and back, does it matter if it a used Yugo or a Maserati? Of course it does.

And beware there are plenty of English gun shooters that know how to shoot (I may not be one of them :( )
You are beginning to fit my parody for SxS ownership

Lamb has a membership there

I wish. He gets some great deals in there on gently used british doubles. And it's a great shop for folks who use the plebian stuff as well, since he can fit guns to the sport properly.

One day, maybe you'll be wise enough to go in and grab yourself a lovely Wlm Evans. A solid working gun for the working class. Refined, but not too posh.

I've got a ruger gold label in the box just sitting in my safe, but my price would be outta your budget and I'd like it to go to someone local so they could handle it first.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back