Caribou Gear Tarp

Should we start the Wyoming disappointment thread now?

I am really hopeful to get lucky at home this year, i am 0/13 so far and really need to hit 2 of remaining apps i have. Last year and so far this year have been rough draw results, being positive and thinking luck is going to change
View attachment 278985
I'm officially rubbing my (and my wifes) good luck off and onto you as we don't need to draw anything else this year so you can have it. Do well with it and don't waste it now!

Hoping I draw 1 WT buck tag, my pronghorn in an area that is doing well and a LQ elk tag - my cow elk is OTC.
I put in for a doe deer to turn in for that drawing, I put in for it every year and draw and don't use it anyway.
At least, yes, we have general elk and deer for fall backs. Cow elk are always OTC in our area.
Possible I could have 2 deer tags, area is doing ok for both species.

Could be worse for you Wyoming residents...you could be in a seven year wait after drawing your Nevada archery bull tag :D

I'll be buying points in Wyoming this year again. That will put us at 8 points for deer and elk and 3 for pronghorn. Will have to burn those one of these years...

Not holding out much hope for pronghorn this year. What’s a 30% odds tag for my unit in a normal year fell to less than 20% after first round of tag cuts. And given it was one of the few units that didn’t get additional cuts, I’m sure lots of people switched to it at the last minute, decreasing the odds even more.

General elk and deer likely to be my focus this fall.

Not holding out much hope for pronghorn this year. What’s a 30% odds tag for my unit in a normal year fell to less than 20% after first round of tag cuts. And given it was one of the few units that didn’t get additional cuts, I’m sure lots of people switched to it at the last minute, decreasing the odds even more.

General elk and deer likely to be my focus this fall.
I put in for a descent odds pronghorn tag, no real trophy potential, but it would be nice just to draw. Im really hopeful for the pronghorn because I can at least general the other 2 big species. I think my deer tag is aroun 12% after cuts, and the elk wasnt affected. My bull tag is around 20-25% odds.

Don’t need to draw anything at this point but I’m suspecting to draw both my choices. If not, the points go away next year anyway!

I’m mostly irritated that the non residents get to find out their results WEEKS before the people who live here. The game and fish are very VERY good at catering to the non residents. After I see my unsuccessful bull tag draw for the 12th year in a row I will be irritated about that too.
@BuzzH lobbied for that. He’s always felt that NR’s were treated unfairly. 😂

@BuzzH lobbied for that. He’s always felt that NR’s were treated unfairly. 😂
No, I lobbied for the NR and R draw to happen at the same time.

But, it worked out better giving a concession to the outfitters and honestly did make some sense. By allowing the NR's to draw elk first, they can either choose to withdraw their pronghorn and deer if they draw elk, or they can choose to apply for pronghorn and deer if they don't draw elk. Like I said, it makes sense.

Another thing it assures is that I have 3 elk tags a year since the leftover Resident elk tags don't drop to the NR draw like they do with pronghorn and deer.

Just give me my LQ deer and I’ll be a HAPPY HUNTER!! I could go for others as well but the deer is where it’s at😀 I believe it’s gonna be a killer year for big muleys !!!

Last edited:
No, I lobbied for the NR and R draw to happen at the same time.

But, it worked out better giving a concession to the outfitters and honestly did make some sense. By allowing the NR's to draw elk first, they can either choose to withdraw their pronghorn and deer if they draw elk, or they can choose to apply for pronghorn and deer if they don't draw elk. Like I said, it makes sense.

Another thing it assures is that I have 3 elk tags a year since the leftover Resident elk tags don't drop to the NR draw like they do with pronghorn and deer.
Just busting your chops a bit there buddy. 😜

I always thought the NR early draw for elk was to help NR know what they drew early enough to make changes on other states. It does seem silly to have the draw before tag quotas are set though

Well hoping this is the year to help my uncle have success, we are both Wyoming residents. He got into hunting later in life and has never been sucessful. Putting for an antelope tag that's a has good draw odds and I've got a spot that if we're in place on October 1 he should get one. Also put in for a type 3 elk tag thatbwe should draw and hopefully get him his 1st elk as well.

I always thought the NR early draw for elk was to help NR know what they drew early enough to make changes on other states. It does seem silly to have the draw before tag quotas are set though
Nope. The early draw that used to happen before the commission approved seasons was causing all sorts of problems with quotas, season setting, unnecessary GF meetings.

We were asked by primarily field biologists to get it changed, and also that we wouldn't be successful in getting it moved.

Took 2-3 years but we got it done.

Well hoping this is the year to help my uncle have success, we are both Wyoming residents. He got into hunting later in life and has never been sucessful. Putting for an antelope tag that's a has good draw odds and I've got a spot that if we're in place on October 1 he should get one. Also put in for a type 3 elk tag thatbwe should draw and hopefully get him his 1st elk as well.
I didn't know there were type 3 elk tags.

There aren't many of them. The one I applied for was antlerless elk or a spike. I hunted the same unit on a type 4 tag last year

This thread got me interested in my resident brothers draw odds for his elk tag. Just looked and at just under 6% odds last year I bet he'll be hunting the general tag again. Hoping we both draw the type 0 antelope tag he should for sure I'm less hopeful. Goodluck next week!

Back