Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Should I buy a Beretta Mato?

BrokenArrow

I have a chance to buy a 7mm mag Mato for under book at $750.
But, all the reviews I have read place folks either in the the "Love it" or "Hate it" category.
The actions are:
Dakota 97 based actions (assembled by Beretta)
Lothar Walther barrels
Shilen triggers
HS Precision stocks

I do know that they are heavy around 8 lbs. and folks really don't like the detachable mag, but can be top loaded.

Seems like a deal to me???
But how do they shoot?

Any thoughts, thanks a bunch

Attachments

• mato action.jpg
    mato action.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 41
  • mato.jpg
    mato.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 40
twist rate?
Good question. I’m trying to get that info today.
What twist would you consider - 10:1?
I’m a new rifle guy (bow hunter for years)
So I’m not totally sure what’s the most acceptable for accuracy.
Thanks for helping me out, I’m learning

Forget all that crap, it's simply crap. Buy a rifle you like and go from there. Every time a question like this come's up, help me choose, there's a champion for every brand. One guy love's the brand and the next guy hate's it! Who really care what some guy you don't know like's? What do you like?

Thanks a very good point.
During my reasearch looking up this gun, I found exactly what you are saying.
Meaning, as a burgeoning collector, I will probably always find someone who will want to buy this gun since it has a contentious past.
I figured if they traditionally shot really well, I would be inclined to make it a hunting rifle. So, I guess that would be a rifle I “liked” and I could ignore all the componentry hype?

It’s an interesting rifle in that it has a collector following and also seems to tackdrive for some people. Since the have synthetic stocks, beating it up a little didn’t concern me and I would be happy to carry if it’s a good shooter.
Guess I won’t know til I fire it though

I’ve never heard of this gun, I looked it up and have been seeing the same love/hate though. I’d be willing to bet that the people that love them and are tack drivers probably have other guns they love and are tack drivers. And the people that hate them have went through several guns that won’t group for them. The ol saying “it’s the Indian not the arrow” usually comes to my mind when I read stuff like that. Sounds like you could off load it fairly quick if you didn’t like it, also sounds like you’re gonna be out $750 soon.
Zach

Thanks guys.
I knew it was a long chance with trying to find someone who has actually shot or even own one of these.
I came to terms with the man and looks like I will see if I “like” this gun or not.

I feel like I’m about to take my first journey into handloading as well.
I am very happy to begin a new journey into a new hobby. Pretty excited

Forget all that crap, it's simply crap. Buy a rifle you like and go from there. Every time a question like this come's up, help me choose, there's a champion for every brand. One guy love's the brand and the next guy hate's it! Who really care what some guy you don't know like's? What do you like?
Best response right here. You ain't marrying it. Have fun with it.

Best response right here. You ain't marrying it. Have fun with it.
Copy that.
I'm just a fan of the Dakota 97 action which is what the Mato action is based on. I believe Beretta assembled a version with different recoil lugs, but they seem to work just as well as if assembled by Dakota.
I also like a Mauser claw extractor design and 3 position wing safety. I cut my teeth on Model 70's when i was a kid.
And the B&C syn stock looks pretty decent and aluminum bedded.

I have just read before that certain calibers don't act as well as others. When I did more research it seems that with the later years of production, after Beretta acquired Sako, the performance of the rifle changed.
So, I was just curious if anyone can back that up on here by asking a general question. I'll be more specific next time. lesson learned, lol

So, I think I'm going for it, based on the stuff I "like" about it.

Sounds like a decent price based on components. I recently priced a new barrel that will run 30% more than 750 all in. Buy and tinker it to meet your personal accuracy tolerances.

..then post the pics.

I'm a fan of Dakota actions and would have to roll the dice for $750. I would be extremely surprised if you do your due diligence installing quality glass and testing loads that you find out the rifle won't shoot to your standards. It has all top end components and was mfg by a good shop. Dudds are always a possibility, but low when coming from a quality shop.

I have a Beretta Mato in .280 Remington. It seems to shoot a variety of bullets and loads really well. I like the rifle, if I found another one in a chambering that I wanted I would buy it.

I have a Beretta Mato in .280 Remington. It seems to shoot a variety of bullets and loads really well. I like the rifle, if I found another one in a chambering that I wanted I would buy it.
Thanks Slate. Rifle is already on it's way.
And No Harley, I will post some pics when I get this project started. So happy to start a new project.

This is my first "real" rifle that is not an entry level over-the-counter gun.
I put most of my money into archery gear for the last 15 years or so. I now have a 2 year old daughter and archery time is few and far between.
Secondarily, as firearm ownership is being threatened more and I more, I am feeling a stronger sense of advocacy for participating in rifle ownership...might as well start with something kind of obscure, like a Mato and struggle to find parts or info, LOL. I've never been one to make things easy on myself. Go big or go home.
And, I get to learn the principles and physics of ballistics

Thanks all

Last edited:
Thanks Slate. Rifle is already on it's way.
And No Harley, I will post some pics when I get this project started. So happy to start a new project.

This is my first "real" rifle that is not an entry level over-the-counter gun.
I put most of my money into archery gear for the last 15 years or so. I now have a 2 year old daughter and archery time is few and far between.
Secondarily, as firearm ownership is being threatened more and I more, I am feeling a stronger sense of advocacy for participating in rifle ownership...might as well start with something kind of obscure, like a Mato and struggle to find parts or info, LOL. I've never been one to make things easy on myself. Go big or go home.
And, I get to learn the principles and physics of ballistics

Thanks all
Not so fast Broken. We must now start debating the proper scope and scope mounts for this new rifle. Or did I miss that???

Not so fast Broken. We must now start debating the proper scope and scope mounts for this new rifle. Or did I miss that???
You didn’t.
There are bases on it now. I’m not sure what they are but that can be determined.
What’s really gonna get people fired up is that I have industry discount with Nikon. That makes their optics very cheap.
Not saying it’s my first choice, but price for optics will be my limiting factor until I can save some more money.
I am open to suggestions for sure and will be looking for a used deal as well.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back