Update--Should I Trade In My Semi-Auto For a Side-by-Side

WestKyHunt

I have had a Stoeger M3500 for 2 or 3 seasons now, and I am about fed up with it.
After going through multiple problems I am ready to trade it in.
Convince me on why I should switch to a side-by-side or if I should buy another semi auto.
My budget is $750

Before someone says get a pump, I already have a Winchester 1200 that is my backup gun/old reliable but I prefer not to hunt it much as its a inheritance gun.
Also after years of shooting pumps, they are not my preference.

Thanks in advance for the replies :)(y)

I wouldn't spend $750 on a side by side unless you're getting a screaming deal on an older gun. I'd use the pump for a few more seasons until you can invest in a quality sxs. I think you'll be disappointed with any in the 750 range.

That comes down to a personal preference. I used to upland hunt with a Beretta Urika 391 12 gauge. I bought a used J.P. Sauer SXS 16 gauge. I absolutely love the SXS for upland hunting. It balances better and is much easier to carry for a full day than the Beretta.

When I started my search, I had my heart set on a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge. After much looking and research, I was contemplating an OU, and then eventually went with the SXS. Do you homework. I chose the SXS instead of an OU for a number of reasons, and there are some very good articles detailing the differences and nuances between them. FWIW, I believe I spent $1100 on my SXS.

Good luck.

I greatly regret my stoeger m3000 purchase a few years ago. Worst gun purchase of 20 plus I've made. Fast forward to last year and the purchase of a super black eagle 3 is hands down the best gun purchase I've ever made. That recoil system drastically makes a difference. My sporting clays scores went from 42-45 to 47- 49 instantly. Still chasing that 50!

I have had a Stoeger M3500 for 2 or 3 seasons now, and I am about fed up with it.
After going through multiple problems I am ready to trade it in.
Convince me on why I should switch to a side-by-side or if I should buy another semi auto.
My budget is $750

Before someone says get a pump, I already have a Winchester 1200 that is my backup gun/old reliable but I prefer not to hunt it much as its a inheritance gun.
Also after years of shooting pumps, they are not my preference.

Thanks in advance for the replies :)(y)
My answer is yes. If you want a SxS, get one, but it has to be the right one. I did and I love it for upland bird/grouse hunting. SxS’s, like all shotguns, need to fit you well and be well balanced. A lot of cheaper modern production SxS’s handle like a 2x4. Don’t bother with those. Also avoid old guns with outdated dimensions like huge amounts of drop in the comb. You might be able to find an old AH Fox Sterlingworth in 12 gauge in your price range or a few hundred more. Great old guns with tons of history and character and they handle well with reasonably modern dimensions. Look for a pre-savage model.

I bought a Weatherby Element in 20ga for skeet and doves and am contemplating (heavily) on just purchasing another in 12ga.
With that said ive been looking for an excuse to buy a SxS and this seems like a good one :ROFLMAO:
My budget is keeping me with Stoeger tho.

My buddy shoots a Tristar O/U that has been good to him

Last edited:
I have a stoeger m3500 the only issue I have had is when I push the button to release a shell from the magazine tube it double feeds but when I shoot it doesn’t do it I need to don’t stoeger about getting it fixed I’m curious what issues you have with yours and if you have sent it in to stoeger?

benelli m2 20 gauge, if u need a semi, i have couple dehaan sxs they fit great.12 qnd q 16 , nice guns, i have a 20 o/u dehaan, has over 6000 rounds thru it, never a problem , the higher grade turkish guns pretty good stuff, i think,

I have a stoeger m3500 the only issue I have had is when I push the button to release a shell from the magazine tube it double feeds but when I shoot it doesn’t do it I need to don’t stoeger about getting it fixed I’m curious what issues you have with yours and if you have sent it in to stoeger?
I've had the plastic pin holding the bottom plate spring in place break twice, both after probably about 1000 rounds fired. Both times in the duck blind. Both after first round of ducks. Both times left me with a single shot which actually never turned out all that bad as I had to make it count each time ;)

Had the pin holding the bolt together come loose during a duck hunt. Took me forever to figure out why I could shoot twice if I loaded it tilted right.
Didn't figure out the problem since the bolt had to be compressed for the pin to fall out.
In the picture I added you can see where I had a new friction pin made. The factory pin is just lightly dimpled in 1571258610777320034390249612540.jpg

Now, out of nowhere, I'm not cycling loads I've had no problem with in the past.

I haven’t shot mine near as much as you hopefully I get my issue fixed and that’s it.

Could always get both semi and sxs I just recently bought my first sxs it’s an old Ithaca 16 gauge I’m thinking of loading up some bismuth rounds for it so I can use it for dove in some public where non toxic is required

What are you using it for? Double guns kick much harder than semi-autos... so if you shoot a lot of heavy loads, I would go auto. I have multiples of O/U, SXS, and auto. I find the SXS the least accuracy friendly gun due to the way they point. That being said, I enjoy the SXS guns immensely as there is a bit of romanticism about carry one. They are just plain cool.

I’m a big fan of my Browning BSS, an excellent looking and functioning SxS. It fits me very well, and while I’m sure it won’t satisfy the most die-hard double enthusiast, it sure is a treat to carry and shoot. Miroku made these for Browning for about 20 years, so there’s quite a few on the market (Miroku also makes the Browning Citori).

My BSS is a 12 gauge Box lock Pistol grip with fixed Mod/Full in 28”. I picked mine up for $1100, and I’ve seen them anywhere from $800-$2000 depending on finish and options. The 20 gauge will set you back more, the straight stock more, and the side locks run quite a bit more.

I use mine for everything now, I’ve switched to Bismuth entirely because I like the gun so much.

My 870 and my A5 sit in the safe and plot against me.

Back