Shotgun?

I am going to put this out there because I am going to buy a shotgun, probably pump action, something durable.

I have never been much of a bird hunter and neither was my dad. However, with the numbers of pheasant and sharpies I saw in the area I was hunting antelope and finding sage grouse in the area I hunt elk, I decided to add turkey, pheasant, and grouse to my bucket list for next year.

I will also probably be using it for rabbit so looking for an all around shotgun that I can use on multiple bird species and rabbits. Question I have (and I am weak on shotgun expertise) is what would be the best shotgun for me to get in the range of $250 to $800.00 budget?

I have a single shot 12 gauge my uncle gave me before he died but used it only on doves. Want a pump action that I at least have 3 shots on.
Not that it should be hard to find a guy with an 870 down by you, but if you happen to end up in Worland before you buy a shotgun, I’d let you try both a 20ga and 12Ga express on some clays. They are older expresses that aren’t terrible but I’d much prefer a Wingmaster. Bought these Express models in my youth so they have smoothed out a bit.

I’ve shot a good handful of other shotguns and still prefer my 870’s. That’s my recommendation!

Gas guns can be a pain to clean but a Barreta can go hundreds of shells before a cleaning and the Benilis (including the Monteftro) are not gas guns - they are inertia guns. They will shoot many hundreds of shells without cleaning and are bullet proof.
Beretta is typically out of this guy's price range. Way out of it. I borrowed a fella's Benelli auto to finish up the last station at clays after a primer blew up and jammed my A5. Good gawd did that thing kick! Even my old 870 didn't boot me like that. Much worse than my Citori. I was shooting the very difficult rabbit station and still shot it clean with the unfamiliar Benelli. "You should buy that gun from Chris. He's trying to sell it." No wonder! No thanks.

Beretta is typically out of this guy's price range. Way out of it. I borrowed a fella's Benelli auto to finish up the last station at clays after a primer blew up and jammed my A5. Good gawd did that thing kick! Even my old 870 didn't boot me like that. Much worse than my Citori. I was shooting the very difficult rabbit station and still shot it clean with the unfamiliar Benelli. "You should buy that gun from Chris. He's trying to sell it." No wonder! No thanks.
And here I was going to buy a Benelli M2 as my new waterfowl gun before next fall. Guess I better eat my wheaties first if I want to survive the recoil.

A Montefeltro on sale or lightly used is in his budget as earlier referenced. There are some other Beneli owned inertia guns at an even lower price point, but the Monti is worth the extra $100ish. As for felt recoil in shotguns, it has more to do with fit (and butt pads) than type. But assuming the same shell and same gun weight, from a pure physics standpoint a gas gun will be the lightest recoiling, then inertia (the spring system spread out the full impact over time) and then pump guns. Your anecdote suggests that your buddy's gun either did not fit you, or because you weren't used to it you didn't mount it properly in the moment. My son and I bought identical M2s, but the off the shelf fits him and I have my stocks lengthened and have significant cast off added. Neither of us shoots the other's gun as well and you can tell the recoil difference between the two.

As an aside, I think shotgun fit is poorly understood by most shooters and guys who grew up with rifles even more so. I see guys at the gun shop wrapping themselves around a shotgun like they are in a snipers nest and declaring it a "great feeling fit". LOP, drop and cast are way more important to accurate and comfortable shotgun shooting than rifle shooting. And unless you know what you are looking for, "just shoulder some guns at the store" will rarely get it done.

You really should go out and see what there is as far as your willing to travel to get one. I've never seen some of these shotguns in within about a hundred miles of me. In other places they might be common. Doesn't make them good or bad! I don't know if Winchester makes pump shotguns anymore but I'd look for Winchester, Remington and Mossberg. When I shot pump guns, my choice was always Mossberg 500's. Had an 870 one time and just didn't care for the way it felt. Also had an 870 Special Field but not sure they make it any more. It was a really good grouse gun but didn't track well for other birds, I think the barrel was 21".

For a guy just getting going driving I think the Ford or Cheyy out sell's everyone. Less expensive and who wants to bang up a Lincoln learning to drive? Pretty much the same on shotguns. Why spend $800 to figure out what you like when you can start at $250? Someone mentioned an Ithica mod 37, great gun! I don't believe you can get one in your price range other than used these days. I have one today, only gun other than SxS's I have. But don't shoot it a lot cause I just like my SxS's. Maybe find something on guns international? I don't really think I'd worry about speed in reloading. Probably if you miss the first two shot's you won't get a third anyway! Although I shat a little trap in the service and there was a guy there that shot doubles with a pump and he never let a fired case hit the ground. He'd shoot, move his shooting hand to the action port, shuck the sldie with his off hand, catch the shell and drop it in a case on his belt while pushing the slide forward and then do it again with the next shell. Never seen anyone else do that. But if your really serious it's amazing what you can learn to do!

Mossberg's mod 500 falls into your range and they also have a mod 88 that does. I've never seem an 88. Not sure what Remington and Winchester have any more. As for the other gun's mentioned. You find one, pick it up and see if you like how it feels, if ya like it and price is alright, buy it.

I think for you 12ga is the way to go. But for most of the grouse and pheasant's I'd stick to target loads in #6 shot if you can find them. I always shot target loads when shooting 12ga years ago once I discovered how nice the lesser recoil was. It helped a lot than I also loaded shells and only bought factory when I needed cases. Today about all I shoot is a 28ga. It will do better than most will believe! In it I still use target loads with heavier shot. Draw back on the 28 if you don't reload is cost f factory ammo! 16ga would do you well but pretty hard to find anymore. 20ga would also work for you. With stndard shell's recoil is a bit less than 12ga field loads and if will accomplish the same thing as the 12 and 16 with a bit lighter gun.

Couple guys mentioned a semi auto and probably not a bad choice. But the one's I've handled were heavier than I'd care to carry around. One exception to that was the Browning double, I doubt you could get one today in your price range and it would be used as Browning doesn't make it any more. Had one in the early 70's and it was hands down the best grouse gun I ever had.

But go look and see what available as far as your willing to drive to get it. Don't over look buying used either. Most shotgun's today and probably very well made other than little glitch's they might have that some don't like, some hate and other's it just doesn't bother.

I order it from Rogers. Never waited more than two weeks for a case.

Two of my guns are 16's, AyA a SxS and the mod 37. Have a reloader for it but seldom shoot either one anymore, love my 28's. When you order, do you have to also pay a hazmat fee?

Last edited:
I've been an over/under shotgun guy for over 50 years. I've shot all of the game the OP listed along with competitive Trap and Skeet with my o/u shotguns.

Then about 25 years ago I wanted that 3rd shot capability for bird hunting so I bought a 12 gauge Rem 870. I'm thinking that it is the Express model as it is chambered for 3" shells, although out of the hundreds of shells that I've shot through it, none were 3".

It's not a fancy gun, black (not blued) 28" barrel with a black plastic stock that I lengthened 1/2" to fit me. I also put a mechanical recoil reducer in the butt stock to tame high dram hunting loads. And it has screw in chokes so I can use it for anything from Skeet to high flying waterfowl or turkeys.

And finally, I bought a scoped rifled barrel for it (made by Mossberg) so I can use it in shotgun only areas for deer.

A Montefeltro on sale or lightly used is in his budget as earlier referenced. There are some other Beneli owned inertia guns at an even lower price point, but the Monti is worth the extra $100ish. As for felt recoil in shotguns, it has more to do with fit (and butt pads) than type. But assuming the same shell and same gun weight, from a pure physics standpoint a gas gun will be the lightest recoiling, then inertia (the spring system spread out the full impact over time) and then pump guns. Your anecdote suggests that your buddy's gun either did not fit you, or because you weren't used to it you didn't mount it properly in the moment. My son and I bought identical M2s, but the off the shelf fits him and I have my stocks lengthened and have significant cast off added. Neither of us shoots the other's gun as well and you can tell the recoil difference between the two.

As an aside, I think shotgun fit is poorly understood by most shooters and guys who grew up with rifles even more so. I see guys at the gun shop wrapping themselves around a shotgun like they are in a snipers nest and declaring it a "great feeling fit". LOP, drop and cast are way more important to accurate and comfortable shotgun shooting than rifle shooting. And unless you know what you are looking for, "just shoulder some guns at the store" will rarely get it done.
I agree entirely about fit. The above shoulder busting Benelli auto's fit was not significantly different than my A5's because I transferred the A5's slip-on recoil pad to it. And I obviously shot the Benelli well enough to clean a difficult station. The big difference between the two guns, or rather four guns if my 870 and Citori are included, was weight. The Benelli auto seems very lightweight, especially for an auto. Gas guns can get away with lightening the load but the shooter pays the price with inertia guns. People boast that their Berettas are the softest gun out there but they are not as soft as my tricked out A5 Magnum. But it is undoubtedly the heaviest single barrel twelve gauge ever made. I lightened it somewhat by adding a synthetic stock set (which required SIGNIFICANT modification) but probably recovered most of the original weight when I had an extension adapter machined from stainless steel for 2.75" barrel spring and friction brake (easily switched out for 3" shells). At the trap/skeet range it shoots so softly I frequently have to check if it's cycled. Moving the extension adapter to the bottom of the barrel spring balances the gun perfectly where the fore end meets the receiver making it relatively easy to carry with one hand or both. In spite of its weight my A5 Magnum Twelve is my go to gun for long days in the field chasing pheasants. And I'm certainly no Hulk Hogan. Lightweight shotguns are hyped by manufacturers but their usefulness is GREATLY exaggerated. Besides kicking harder and inducing a flinch reflex, they don't float to the target nearly as well as a heavy gun.

The best way to check for fit is at the patterning board. Mount and shoot the gun all in one smooth motion. Do not aim the gun at the target like it's a rifle. Shoot it the way it will be shot in the field ... quickly and automatically. That said, I think off the shelf a generic 870 has perhaps the best "universal" fit. They mount well for just about anybody. Maybe not perfect enough to shoot 100 straight skeet low gun, but better than most other low to medium end pump guns.

Last edited:
Not that it should be hard to find a guy with an 870 down by you, but if you happen to end up in Worland before you buy a shotgun, I’d let you try both a 20ga and 12Ga express on some clays. They are older expresses that aren’t terrible but I’d much prefer a Wingmaster. Bought these Express models in my youth so they have smoothed out a bit.

I’ve shot a good handful of other shotguns and still prefer my 870’s. That’s my recommendation!
How's the turkey around Worland? I have been looking for areas with more turkey than I found so far. Areas between Chugwater and Hwy 85 hold turkey but not in the numbers you want on the public and only a few walk-in areas permit turkey hunting. I will be scouting for turkey around Wheatland and Worland this summer. Worland is not that far from Cheyenne and I would be open to driving up to shoot clays for sure. I need to shoot a ton of clays and gain more competence and confidence with shotguns.

How's the turkey around Worland? I have been looking for areas with more turkey than I found so far. Areas between Chugwater and Hwy 85 hold turkey but not in the numbers you want on the public and only a few walk-in areas permit turkey hunting. I will be scouting for turkey around Wheatland and Worland this summer. Worland is not that far from Cheyenne and I would be open to driving up to shoot clays for sure. I need to shoot a ton of clays and gain more competence and confidence with shotguns.
Clays is overrated in my opinion. I shoot several thousand rounds a year in all venues: trap, skeet, and clays. You DEFINITELY do NOT want to start with clays. Start at trap high gun (gun mounted to your shoulder). You'll get the basics down there. Clays is too variable for a beginner. I guarantee it would be very discouraging. And quite frankly, there's often many stations that present scenarios you might never encounter in the field. Overrated. Once you have a handle on trap, move on to skeet. Trap is good practice for the upland hunter and skeet is better for waterfowl hunter. Skeet has also made me a helluva shot with a rifle at big game on the run. When you start to figure out skeet, switch to low gun - pull the target with gun at ready position rather than shouldered. Switching to low gun simulates field hunting ... and it will also tell you very quickly if your gun needs to fit better. I can shoot a piece of crap fitting gun high gun fairly well at trap because I have time to make myself fit the gun. Don't have that kind of time in the field! When I switched to low gun skeet my average score actually jumped up almost four targets. I already knew my shotgun fit me well from adjusting it at the patterning board per above. The difference was low gun allowed me to see the target quicker (I am literally more than half blind) and, more importantly, it helped prevent "overthinking" the shot. Shooting instinctively is always better than second guessing yourself. Also, overthinking often results in "aiming" the shotgun which leads to looking at the gun. Your eyes should NEVER leave the moving target! Shooting low gun with crappy eyesight doesn't give me time to make that mistake.

Last edited:
Clays is overrated on my opinion. I shoot several thousand rounds a year in all venues: trap, skeet, and clays. You DEFINITELY do NOT want to start with clays. Start at trap high gun (gun mounted to your shoulder). You'll get the basics down there. Clays is too variable for a beginner. I guarantee it would be very discouraging. And quite frankly, there's often many stations that present scenarios you might never encounter in the field. Overrated. Once you have a handle on trap, move on to skeet. Trap is good practice for the upland hunter and skeet is better for waterfowl hunter. Skeet has also made me a helluva shot with a rifle at big game on the run. When you start to figure out skeet, switch to low gun - pull the target with gun at ready position rather than shouldered. Switching to low gun simulates field hunting ... and it will also tell you very quickly if your gun needs to fit better. I can shoot a piece of crap fit at high gun trap because I have time to make myself fit the gun. Don't have that kind of time in the field! When I switched to low gun skeet my average score actually jumped up almost four targets. I already knew my shotgun fit me well from adjusting it at the patterning board per above. The difference was low gun allowed me to see the target quicker (I am literally more than half blind) and, more importantly, it helped prevent "overthinking" the shot. Shooting instinctively is always better than second guessing yourself. Also, overthinking often results in "aiming" the shotgun which leads to looking at the gun. Your eyes should NEVER leave the moving target! Shooting low gun with crappy eyesight doesn't give me time to make that mistake.

And don’t get a shotgun with a fiber front sight. Proper wing shooting means you never perceive the muzzle end of your barrel. As OH said - eyes never leave the target.

My first shotgun was an 870 express (12 ga). Since then I have bought 2 more, an additional 12 and a 20. These are all weather workhouse guns, simple to strip, sometimes need a little breaking in, parkerized finish, cheap wood, not beauty contestants. But I still have, and use all, setup differently, for deer, waterfowl, turkeys, upland birds. The 20 is a pleasure to carry in the field. The 12 is great for waterfowl, deer, or turkeys, but can be a bit more lug than its worth for upland birds and rabbits. I have rifled barrels, smoothbores, various choke tubes, and the total all in cost for everything was not much more than your budget’s upper limit. 30 years of hunting on that investment can’t be wrong.

Last edited:
I have a early 90's Remington 870 Wingmaster, Benelli SBEII that I bought used, Beretta Silver Pigeon I Sporting and a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus I got last year after selling a Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler. All are LH guns. I'd take a look at Winchester, Mossberg, Franchi, Stoeger and even a good used Browning, Benelli or Beretta. Make sure the gun fits you and fits what you are going to use it for. With your budget you can get a good functioning semi-auto.

I started with a Mossberg 500. Great weapon. Still have it 30+ years later. Also have an 870. Great gun. This year I got a Benelli Ethos. First semi I have owned. WOW! those other two are on the shelf for a while.

Get a semi. It's very possible in your price range.

Lots of great suggestions here. Like others, I would strongly suggest to get your hands on several guns and determine which one feels the best to you.

Also started with a Mossberg 500, many miles and dove later the slide broke. Think it went partial trade as is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back