Shotgun?

WyoDoug

I am going to put this out there because I am going to buy a shotgun, probably pump action, something durable.

I have never been much of a bird hunter and neither was my dad. However, with the numbers of pheasant and sharpies I saw in the area I was hunting antelope and finding sage grouse in the area I hunt elk, I decided to add turkey, pheasant, and grouse to my bucket list for next year.

I will also probably be using it for rabbit so looking for an all around shotgun that I can use on multiple bird species and rabbits. Question I have (and I am weak on shotgun expertise) is what would be the best shotgun for me to get in the range of $250 to $800.00 budget?

I have a single shot 12 gauge my uncle gave me before he died but used it only on doves. Want a pump action that I at least have 3 shots on.

Do you plan to hunt Waterfowl at all? If not I'm a fan of older pump guns like the Ithica model 37, Win Model 12, or and old 870 wingmaster. They are fixed choke guns usually a modified or full but man they sure don't make a pump shotgun like those any more and they can usually be found for a very reasonable price.

That is a wide price range. If you want a reliable workhorse at the bottom of that range with few frills, you can't go wrong with a Remington 870 express. IMHO, you don't need much more than that for a pump gun. At the mid to higher end of your price range, you can buy some very decent semi-auto shotguns. Once you get a taste of a rapid follow-up shot with a semi-auto, you may not ever use your pump again. Right now, you can buy a Beretta A350 for $560, on sale at Basspro (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/beretta-a350-xtrema-semi-auto-shotgun-in-realtree-max-5-camo). Normally $1,000, so its a ridiculously low clearance price. I have the A400 and love it. But there are dozens of possible semi-autos in your price range. I'd consider it. Enjoy the shotgun hunt!

Do you plan to hunt Waterfowl at all? If not I'm a fan of older pump guns like the Ithica model 37, Win Model 12, or and old 870 wingmaster. They are fixed choke guns usually a modified or full but man they sure don't make a pump shotgun like those any more and they can usually be found for a very reasonable price.
I may hunt geese but likely ducks, last one I had was really gritty so not sure yet. I kinda need someone who knows how to cook them to give me ways to fix them. My uncle gave me a duck last year and I think it was a teal and we did not like it at all. Seem to have a gritty texture. I want to go with someone sometime who can show me how to prepare them.

That is a wide price range. If you want a reliable workhorse at the bottom of that range with few frills, you can't go wrong with a Remington 870 express. IMHO, you don't need much more than that for a pump gun. At the mid to higher end of your price range, you can buy some very decent semi-auto shotguns. Once you get a taste of a rapid follow-up shot with a semi-auto, you may not ever use your pump again. Right now, you can buy a Beretta A350 for $560, on sale at Basspro (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/beretta-a350-xtrema-semi-auto-shotgun-in-realtree-max-5-camo). Normally $1,000, so its a ridiculously low clearance price. I have the A400 and love it. But there are dozens of possible semi-autos in your price range. I'd consider it. Enjoy the shotgun hunt!
As I said I do not know shotguns that well so I do not know the differences between pump and semi-auto. I did some competitive marksmanship with rifles in my young and dumb days long gone now, but very little experience with shotguns. My dad had a pump action at one time. A few mentioned I should get a semi-auto. I may just look at those.

I'd take a good look at the Benelli Nova or Supernova pump shotgun. Just the plain old black synthetic model should fit easily in your price range and that shotgun handles abuse and neglect like a champ. I'm not saying abuse and neglect are good for a shotgun, but my brother and his son each have one and they abuse & neglect them and they just keep on working. If you like the looks more, they do make it in some camo patterns also.

I would say go down to the gun store and handle a few in the price range and see which gun fits you the best. Practice pulling up as you would a bird jumping up and whichever ones feel the best out those at the top of your list then go back research those guns out for reliability and any other factors and go from There. My favorite pump Shotgun I’ve owned is the browning BPS model fits me perfect comes up
To the shoulder nicely and always seem to come up on target.

I may hunt geese but likely ducks, last one I had was really gritty so not sure yet. I kinda need someone who knows how to cook them to give me ways to fix them. My uncle gave me a duck last year and I think it was a teal and we did not like it at all. Seem to have a gritty texture. I want to go with someone sometime who can show me how to prepare them.
If that's the case I'd agree with fishing4sanity on the Benelli Nova,I have one as well. I'm not a big time waterfowl hunter but go enough times a year. Ducks I usually do in the Crock-Pot until fork tender after marinating.

I got a 12ga Mossberg 500 for my 13th birthday. Almost 3 decades later, it's the only shotgun I own. I've taken rabbits, squirrels, turkey, dove, and waterfowl every year with it. I've picked up a few other shotguns over the years but always had some issue with them. I'm a lefty so the tang safety is a huge plus for me. It's cheap, reliable, well balanced, and smooth swinging. Lots of options of finish with Mossbergs but mine is the classic wood stock with blued 28" barrel. Browning BPS is a great shotgun as well in your price range. I've had feeding issues with Rem 870 super express mag, and hated the trigger guard and safety of Benelli nova.

A used 870 Wingmaster would be "okay." Nice thing about the 870 is aftermarket stuff abounds for upgrading it. For example, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used 870 with fixed full choke. Very easy to pick up a cheap new barrel with choke tubes to make it versatile enough for all species.* Also wood or synthetic replacement stock sets are everywhere on the net. Stay the hell away from new 870 Express! They are junk. And Stoeger pump is worse ... much worse.

You are on the right track picking a pump as a starter bird gun. Wait and see how you like the sport before thinking auto or O/U. Go with twelve gauge 3" magnum if you're considering waterfowl. Presumably you don't have a dog. If you decide you like bird hunting, you will definitely need to at least have access to one. Pheasant hunting without a dog should be against the law.

If you think that teal was unsavory, wait till you try sage grouse! I give them a pass.

* Keep in mind that a fixed full choke barrel isn't good for much except shooting trap. Full choke won't handle steel shot needed for waterfowl and pattern is too tight for uplands. So I would not consider a fixed full used gun unless it was an 870 ... and cheap. The barrel would need to be replaced. Replacing the barrel on a full choke Ithaca 37 or Winchester Model 12 would be an expensive proposition. No problem for 870.

Last edited:
I know you said you were asking about a pump shot gun but I would look at a semi- auto Remington 1100. I still shoot the one that I bought when I got out of the service in the fall of 1972. I have never had any issues with this gun how ever they are a little heavy. I picked up a second barrell for it several years ago so I have a 30 inch full choke and a 28 inch modified.

My two cents for your consideration. I bought a new unused 870 wingmaster made in the late 70’s. Beautiful gun. Action was very stiff and required a break in period. Also bought a Winchester 1200 Ranger. Not nearly as pretty but ran smooth as silk. Have a couple friends who bought 870 express pumps. Functional but very rough/spartan look. I wouldn’t buy one.

For an auto, I would only get a gas gun. Inertia driven guns are reliable but more thump imo.

I trusted my life to a Mossberg 500 in Iraq. I own one here at home. They are damned near bullet proof and simple and you can get a combo for around $400.
I never cared much for Mossberg 500. They are a little more clunky than 870 (though only a little) but, like the 870, they work. A bit too much plastic for my taste. Also the 500 is almost as easy to find aftermarket upgrades like barrels and stock sets. I believe that like Win 1200 Mossberg 500 accepts old style Browning Invector chokes which are very easy to find new or used. Win 1200 is another one that's also fairly easy to find add on stuff, though not the abundance or variety as the 870 or 500.

Keep in mind that many if not most gas autos are finicky about being clean. The Remington 1100 was never very popular as a range gun for that reason. Shoot two rounds of skeet and it needs to be cleaned. Lots of older 1100 magnums on the shelf but understand that unless modified, they ONLY shoot 3" shells. Used to be it was necessary to change barrels to shoot shorter shells. Do not even consider an old Winchester 1400 auto. A lemon. I love my old Browning A5s. They were the first auto shotgun ever (1900) and utilized long recoil action (barrel slides back to eject shells). Their double jump cycling back and forth "feels different" but they are very reliable. Browning stopped making them in 1998 (too expensive to manufacture) so they're becoming collectable. I have tricked out my magnum in several ways.
Black Beauty 2.JPG
But it's not easy to find choked A5 barrels (very desirable and no aftermarket makers, therefore used ones are very expensive). And I see Champion has stopped making plastic stock sets.

Many of the Turkish shotguns being marketed today look very nice for the price. Some are good guns but many are problematic. Do your research on line before committing.

I never cared much for Mossberg 500. They are a little more clunky than 870 (though only a little) but, like the 870, they work. A bit too much plastic for my taste. Also the 500 is almost as easy to find aftermarket upgrades like barrels and stock sets. I believe that like Win 1200 Mossberg 500 accepts old style Browning Invector chokes which are very easy to find new or used. Win 1200 is another one that's also fairly easy to find add on stuff, though not the abundance or variety as the 870 or 500.

Keep in mind that many if not most gas autos are finicky about being clean. The Remington 1100 was never very popular as a range gun for that reason. Shoot two rounds of skeet and it needs to be cleaned. Lots of older 1100 magnums on the shelf but understand that unless modified, they ONLY shoot 3" shells. Used to be it was necessary to change barrels to shoot shorter shells. Do not even consider an old Winchester 1400 auto. A lemon. I love my old Browning A5s. They were the first auto shotgun ever (1900) and utilized long recoil action (barrel slides back to eject shells). Their double jump cycling back and forth "feels different" but they are very reliable. Browning stopped making them in 1998 (too expensive to manufacture) so they're becoming collectable. I have tricked out my magnum in several ways.
View attachment 168036
But it's not easy to find choked A5 barrels (very desirable and no aftermarket makers, therefore used ones are very expensive). And I see Champion has stopped making plastic stock sets.

Many of the Turkish shotguns being marketed today look very nice for the price. Some are good guns but many are problematic. Do your research on line before committing.

Gas guns can be a pain to clean but a Barreta can go hundreds of shells before a cleaning and the Benilis (including the Monteftro) are not gas guns - they are inertia guns. They will shoot many hundreds of shells without cleaning and are bullet proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back