Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Shotgun?

I recently got a Winchester SXP 12g pump 28" for waterfowl/turkey and it's a great and solid shotgun. Easy to break down, shoots very well and is super reliable. Reasonably priced too at Sportsman's if you're within a budget or just starting. Came with 3 chokes.

And here I was going to buy a Benelli M2 as my new waterfowl gun before next fall. Guess I better eat my wheaties first if I want to survive the recoil.
Maybe shoot a few magnum loads through one before you commit. I was shooting trap loads and recoil was stout indeed. Three inch goose loads would be much worse. Or maybe add some weight inside the stock and/or fore end. Light weight I think probably accounts for most of its heavy recoil. A lightweight waterfowl gun borders on the absurd unless doing a lot of jump shooting.

Maybe shoot a few magnum loads through one before you commit. I was shooting trap loads and recoil was stout indeed. Three inch goose loads would be much worse. Or maybe add some weight inside the stock and/or fore end. Light weight I think probably accounts for most of its heavy recoil. A lightweight waterfowl gun borders on the absurd unless doing a lot of jump shooting.
I’ve shot several Benellis, which is why I’m considering buying one.

Check out a few LGS and see what feels best. Probably won't be your last shotgun so buy wisely and then resell if necessary.

I’ve owned a semi-auto and never hunted well with it. I tended to be more undisciplined on wing shots. I shoot a pump now and it works better for me.

I’d recommend shouldering several models at the gun shop and just get one that feels good in your hands and when you bring it up. You’re unlikely to get a perfect LOP match, but if it’s significantly too short or too long you’ll notice immediately.

If a pump the Best answer is a 870 and Auto a Remington 11-87
Why they did not outsell the competition because they were junk but were affordable and just plain work.
In a 870 make sure it’s a WingMaster & only word of caution is the frame is only good for 250,000 rounds as well as 1100 & 11/87 Autos
I hope you live long enough to shoot that much.
FYI there is not another Brand that has sold 1/2 as many as Remington.

I got an 1100 with the money I made on my first job age 13 saved up all summer. Read every th ingredients I could and decided that was the one but after a few years and a couple of jammed buckshot loads (grew up in a shotgun only state) I traded with my dad for his 870 wingmaster. I loved it and never dealt with a jammed gun again even if it hangs up a little you just pull harder and the empty shell comes out. I like the pumps for that reason. The 870 wingmaster is a great shotgun. There are different models and not all as great as the one my dad bought but I read somewhere that you need to find the model that has the chrome colored action and not the black one

For the occasional use and price range stated, I'd look at the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500, whichever feels best. Inexpensive and enough aftermarket support to make it how you want it. Some time with it and you'll know better other options/features you may want.

I’ve been using a plain old 870 with interchangable chokes for a long time, can’t go wrong with one of those. Always wanted a super black eagle but can’t seem to justify the price, they are sweet though. But that 870 is fricken bomb proof. Never had a jam, loading or ejection issue. My son shoots a youth Mossberg 500. He’s a lefty so youth options were limited, he loves it. I think its not quite as smooth as the 870, but could just be wear and tear/years of breaking it in. He’s never had a problem with the Mossberg going through 100 rounds or more on a range day, nor in the field. I also have an old model 12 that I use when we have a guest that needs to borrow a gun, I always lend the 870- because its idiot-proof. The model 12 I‘m not as pleased with but it’s serviceable. It’s also full choke and has a tendency to shoot upland birds in half if your too quick at close range 😬. If I was buying a new one today I would look at a semi auto if my budget allowed, Probably a Benelli/Franchi. But If I was looking budget pump, Model 870, benelli pump, or maybe Mossberg 500. Whichever one felt right in the store they are all pretty darn good. I would also look for one with a choke system If buying used. Good luck!

I believe that generally speaking, how long a gun will last you has a direct relationship to the care you give it. People tend to take better care of expensive firearms that they do inexpensive one's.

52 yrs with a Moss 500 20ga (3" chamber)(It's the chamber that killed the 16ga) . Rabbits, squirrels, Pheasant, quail, ducks, dove, pigeons, rats, turkey, grouse, 3 deer (1 shot each), to name a few. And you will learn to really appreciate the tang safety. I've always had the Poly Choke, it's easy to adjust your choke choice when changing field conditions suddenly present themselves.

My go-to shotgun is the Browning Citori over/under
I've used a 12 gauge up here in Alaska for duck hunting with improved cylinder/modified choke tubes.
and a 20 gauge for upland hunting.
They cost me $500 each used from a pawn shop in Utah back in the 1980s.

Might as well throw my 2 cents worth in as well. The first shotgun I "owned" was an 870 duty weapon when I was an LEO. Functioned but NOTHING about it was polished or refined....action bar fit, slide operation were all just passable. Used a Mossberg 500 in the Army. I would take that over the Remington everyday. Definite step up. Now I own a Stoeger P3000 and a Benelli Nova. The Stoeger is a very serviceable weapon. I have used it on waterfowl as a backup and a share gun and it has performed perfectly. My Benelli is a whole different story......I love everything about it for pump. Function, finish, breakdown, Beretta/Benelli chokes etc. I have shot upland, waterfowl, and a deer with slugs in IL last year. Just plain good in all aspects and can be had under 400 all day long.

Beretta a300 Outlander. My shotgun of choice as a longtime waterfowl/ bird hunter. Will be well within your budget and just plain works. Great balance, shoulders well and will be 100% reliable if kept clean. (my only complaint is the kick on steel goose loads)

Get fancy with your chokes depending on what you hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back