Shotgun sight - Options for a one quiver shotgun

AvidIndoorsman

In order to not have to fly with firearms constantly I'm going to leave most of my guns at my house out west and only bring a few east.

I have a remington 870 that will become the swamp gun.

It's stock right now, modified choke with a bead front sight, will be hunting turkey, waterfowl, upland, and deer (40 yards max buck shot or slugs) with it.

Budget is $200 absolute max.

I'm thinking I will get a turkey choke and then trueglow sights? Is there a decent easily removable rear sight on the market. Will having a rear sight making duck hunting prohibitively difficult.

I did see a video once where guys were using red dots for geese somewhere in Europe though. Not sure I could get used to that.

I have one on my turkey gun, I’ll look it up, I hit draw with a paint pen on the shotgun so I know where to put it back.

Edit: trueglo pro series magnum

I just switch between my smooth bore and rifled barrels for my 870. Did a quick google search for a rifled barrel and they say not available at bass pro/cabelas. Not sure if that's due to Remington's bankruptcy or what?

In order to not have to fly with firearms constantly I'm going to leave most of my guns at my house out west and only bring a few east.

I have a remington 870 that will become the swamp gun.

It's stock right now, modified choke with a bead front sight, will be hunting turkey, waterfowl, upland, and deer (40 yards max buck shot or slugs) with it.

Budget is $200 absolute max.

I'm thinking I will get a turkey choke and then trueglow sights? Is there a decent easily removable rear sight on the market. Will having a rear sight making duck hunting prohibitively difficult.
why not just leave all your guns in the holy land and buy a new shotty? I mean you are making east coast elite money now.

Just the bead should do fine for what your looking to do imo. The $200 could be used for something else.

Edit: spend some of it on a couple different chokes for different uses that would be a lot better investment seeing as how you will be using it for different applications. Carlsons makes some of the best chokes imo and the best selection. You'd be amazed how much more effective your gun is with the right choke especially for bigger sized shot.

Srs answer: Get an 18" remchoked police bbl for slugs and use your 870 for everything else.

You shoot a shotgun where u look. No aiming. No sights needed inside 50 yards

For the uses and distances you mentioned, I'd not spend money on a sight. The bead it comes with should be plenty. Shell selection for turkey/waterfowl could negate the need for another choke as well. Pard in ID has used his 870 for all manner of critters from birds to moutain lions with just the bead and a modified choke.

Found a true glow combo for $25... going to see if I can get a IC for slugs and buck shot... kinda ridiculous my 870 only came with a modified.
ADE60B66-F9CB-442C-8624-7E80D7312AA3.jpeg

Found a true glow combo for $25... going to see if I can get a IC for slugs and buck shot... kinda ridiculous my 870 only came with a modified.
View attachment 171737
Shouldn't be hard. For smooth bore shotgun slugs, those Federal Tru-balls are relatively accurate. I have a buddy who uses them and shoots them well out to about 75 yards. If I were you, I'd probably just put that true glow front sight on in the fall for birds and deer, then add the rear sight in the spring for turkey if needed to get your pattern in the right spot.
Another option would be to get a used rifle at a shop in Mass, then just sell it again when you leave. You probably wouldn't lose much money (as long as you have the 300-400 to drop now). Then you wouldn't be forced to do all your deer hunting in the swamp. Come on up to the Adirondacks next November and try some tracking!

Back