MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Shot him in the "pecker"......

Elkwhisper

Spring is for sure my second favorite time of year.... and it is a CLOSE second to fall. I have only spent one night on the mountain so far looking for yogi, and my spots still need a week or two to get prime. Have made it out a couple of times to chase turkeys, and have been lucky enough to be into birds each time. That said, I have seen more hunting pressure in my "secret" spots than ever before...I blame OnX ;) Back in the day when you used to have to know how to read a map, a lot of those little chunks of public went untouched... not any more. Not that I am upset about it or anything... just another challenge to overcome these days.

At any rate, this guy came on a string from about 400 yards out across a big open coulee.... I was on one finger ridge, and he was on the other. A nice calm morning allowed me to hear him from a long way off and get into position. I yelped a few times to get his attention, and then just kept his interest with some purs and clucks. Experience helped, as I have had several birds hang up just out of range in the past. This time I got set up just over the lip of the finger ridge I was on, and when he popped over into sight, he was at 12 yards. The X-full turkey tube and 3.5" number 5's did a number on him. Pretty sure I saw the wad slam him in the face.....

Not the biggest beard, but a nice adult bird. Thinking I will break out the bow to fill my second tag.... that is unless bear season get's in the way.

Good luck to all of you who are out their taking advantage of this second best season of the year!

Attachments

• TURKEY1 (2).jpg
    TURKEY1 (2).jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 86
  • TURKEY 3 (2).jpg
    TURKEY 3 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Yup.... still as tasty ad I remember. Made a turkey corn chowder out of the legs thighs and tenders on Monday, and turkey parmesan tonight.

Not sure what the possession limit is on these critters, but pretty sure I dont have to worry about it, cause they dont last long at my house.

Old "Katelyn" was delicious!

Attachments

• 20190424_200404.jpg
    20190424_200404.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back