Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

shortest shot on a big game animal?

I killed a couple of deer with archery equipment under 3ft. One spewed blood all over my pants and shoes from the hit. I also killed a small buck still hunting a very healthy cattail swamp he was maybe a foot off the end of the barrel when I pulled the trigger.. Blew hair off from around the wound with the muzzle blast from the 308 I was using..

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many archery deer that I killed that were under 20 ft over the years. My very first deer I killed was less than 5 ft away, I was 12 years old.. Killed her with a handmade recurve bow, made by my father's friend, and cedar arrows with a Bear Razorhead broadhead..

I shoot a lot thousands of rounds a year and thousands of archery shots. It's not about how far away that I can shoot an animal for me. It's about how close I can get.. YMMV..

Rattled in a Mule Deer buck (yes a Mule Deer in WT country) fall of 2018. Shot him at 18 yards with my 50 Cal. Muzzleloader. Was the first deer hunt my son came on and he helped me rattle/call the deer in. He also spotted the buck coming in on the river bottom before I did. Ironically this scenario is exactly what happened with me and my dad over 30 years ago, minus the fact that it was a WT then not a Mule Deer.

A whitetail doe at less than 5 yards with a shotgun. She was running right at me and would have run me over if I hadn't dropped her. I don't think she ever saw me.

I took this picture where I shot from. Old point-and-shoot camera. I didn't pace it off, but I could reach out and touch it with the gun barrel.

Gwqdv4b.jpg

14 yards on a Blacktail buck. My trusty 30-30 Win. He was walking down a canyon deer trail to my orchard & I was sitting at my water tank. He stared right at me and took 2 steps off the trail,broadside. Slid down thru the oaks into a thicket of PO. Still have the rack,& 2 others from same spot. They loved my apples............

Several whitetails under 10 yards, and missed just as many as I've killed at sub 10 yards.
Had a 500 pound black bear stick his head into my ground blind while bowhunting, that would have been an 8 to 10 inch shot. I could feel his breath on my hand, i was a split second away from letting an arrow fly into his forehead

Shot a whitetail at 12 yds with my recurve, from the ground. Shot another (large non-typical) at 18 yds from the ground... and another at 22 yds from the ground (ghillie suit).
Closet buck I killed with a rifle was 18 yds, from a tree stand. Killed a dandy at 20 yds from the ground last season.

1) Archery: 18 yds on ground
2) Rifle: 30 yds
3) Rifle: 20 yds from ground

Attachments

• 2016-10-30 13.52.43.jpg
    2016-10-30 13.52.43.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20141115_171738 (1) (1).jpg
    20141115_171738 (1) (1).jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20191116_075332.jpg
    20191116_075332.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Several under 5 yds, bow/rifle/ shotgun. But the shortest was about 15' vertical and 1' horizontal. Pretty much straight down (35 Rem). I had to spiral my stand around the tree, as I was coming down, so I could step out without landing on the deer.

Another few mentionables:

200# Pig: 6 feet, head shot, 44 Mag
7Pt whitetail: 15 feet, 7/08
3Pt Whitetail: 10 feet , bow
Turkey: 12 feet. 20 ga (decapitated the head completely)

What? No one has killed things with spears, knives, or bare hands? I thought to be cool that is what you do. At least that's what Tim Wells and Dave Embry said...(barf) 🤔
My first pig hunt in Florida, i stuck a pig. Definitely not my cup of tea, that's for sure. I have zero desire to ever do it again, now still hunting pigs threw the swamps, that's fun

Shot a bear at 8ft with a revolver, snuck up on me when i was taking a nap. Cougar at 5 yards, called in.

Reactions: Guy
I killed a big boar with a spear and it was one of the fastest kills Ive ever witnessed. I’ve killed several with a revolvers at 2-3 feet. We were using catch / bay dogs in very thick cover here in SC and down in FL. Caught several that were pen fed and butchered later.
A couple of turkey kills under 10 yards. No blinds or decoys.
Several deer under 10 yards with a bow, a few under 10 yds with a shotgun and buckshot.

Around 15 yards with bow. Several less than 15 with shotgun and buckshot during drives. We were doing drives one time in south Carolina and a doe ran into my friends shotgun barrel. He was standing next to an old hog wire fence. After hitting his barrel her head went into the fence and broke her neck. We walked up to him with the deer at his feet and said"we didn't hear you shoot! He replied didnt need to.

I’ve killed several deer from a tree stand that were very close. Several 15 yards and in, my first was directly below my tree stand. From the ground I’ve killed a few under 25 yards. I was sitting on the ground once, no cover or camo, and had a small one come in and sniff my boot.

A few seasons ago I killed two different bucks during muzzle loader season. One was at 50 yards, and the other at about 15 yards. When I shot them both (back to back days, as well), both of them ran to the base of my tree and fell over. I literally had to get down out of my climbing tree stand by jumping/stepping over them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back