Short Action Elk Caliber

Rooster52

What would be your choice in a Short action caliber for elk ? I own a 243,7mm08,308,270WSM,7mmWSM and 300WSM. I handload for all.Shoot some factory ammo.It's all good,just some better.

That's a tough one. I have hunted with Elk hunters who shoot them all, except for the .243. All with excellent results. Good luck choosing !! It would probably boil down to which one shot the best with an Elk load I felt comfortable with. Also, the optics on each would matter (making it even harder to choose).

First off, I would say - nice collection! :)

Secondly - what type of terrain would you be hunting? If timbered, I would opt for a lighter, faster handling rifle; perhaps the 7-08 or 308. Both should work well.

FOr more open terrain, I would opt for one of the WSM's. Any of the 3 would work. Of course, with any caliber, a good bullet is necessary. My preferences always go towards a lighter rifle (weight, not caliber), scope magnifications all being equal or adequate, the lightest of the 3 WSM's would get my nod.

With the wide variety of excellent ammo available these days, my feelings are that an accurate load can be found for most rifles. It just takes experimenting. Good luck!

I'd shoot the one that I shot best and that felt the best in my hands. Out of those you have listed I would probably go with one of the WSM's or the 7mm-08.

Hunting unit 15 in Colorado ,lots of down timber and probably shots less than 100 yards . Have been reading a lot on the 7mm08 as a elk rifle. Interesting.

I have a harder time get into shooting range of an elk than I do deciding what to shoot them with...

Rooster, I think your gun collection is seriously lacking in the short action elk round category and you should buy at least three more rifles. Seriously though, any of those rifles would do the job with the 243 being a little on the light side when the distance gets our past a couple hundred yards. My choice would be the one that I shoot the best and and have the most confidence in. Only you can answer that question.

take the 243 out of the running and pick the rifle you like the best. I'd also consider the optics you have on each rifle, assuming each of them has a scope already mounted on them. picking the scope you like best could help your decision.

Oh, I gotta chime in on this one. You need to buy one more, or re-bore one. Short action rig? 100yds +/-, or even 200yds, if your hunting luck is anything like mine ?

Me? I thought about this for over 20 yrs now and am doing something about as I type. 200-210 gr bullet @ 25-2600fps, 7 1/2# rifle (scoped & loaded), easy to find/form brass, and won't rock your back teeth or leave too many rattled brain cells! Makes a Big hole, on both sides, without excess bloodshot damaged meat.

338 FEDERAL

Oh, I gotta chime in on this one. You need to buy one more, or re-bore one. Short action rig? 100yds +/-, or even 200yds, if your hunting luck is anything like mine ?

Me? I thought about this for over 20 yrs now and am doing something about as I type. 200-210 gr bullet @ 25-2600fps, 7 1/2# rifle (scoped & loaded), easy to find/form brass, and won't rock your back teeth or leave too many rattled brain cells! Makes a Big hole, on both sides, without excess bloodshot damaged meat.

338 FEDERAL

100% agree. I really want one myself. would love to see Howa chamber their Mt rifle in 338 federal, would be a good addition to the lineup I think

What would be your choice in a Short action caliber for elk ? I own a 243,7mm08,308,270WSM,7mmWSM and 300WSM. I handload for all.Shoot some factory ammo.It's all good,just some better.

WSM's..smoke'm if you got'm.

My last 5 rifle killed elk have all died from a 7mm-08 (1 cow and 2 bulls) and a .260 (1 cow and 1 bull). I have been very happy with the 7mm-08 for elk and my .260 has been impressive as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back