Yeti GOBOX Collection

Shooting up or down hills

JimmyD

The country we're hunting in this year is steep, steep, steep. I'm pretty sure I remember the rules of thumb when it comes to shooting up or down elevations, but wanted to get a couple others beliefs to make sure I'm not smokin' crack down here.

We don't have many chances to shoot at elevations much over 100 feet down here.....

The diagram below should help, although shooting uphill and downhill really doesn't take as much thinking as suggested below. Basically, when shooting up or down, the bullet is going to be affected as if you were shooting a slightly shorter distance. With a big game rifle sighted in for 200 yards or so, it's not going to make a big difference out to 300 yards. Just aim for where you want to hit, and you'll kill the animal.

If you plan on shooting over 300 yards at steep angles, you might want to take a look below. I'm sure the more experienced shooters here will correct me if I've mislead you! Good luck...

Oak
ShootingUphill.jpg

Just remember that when shooting down hill. You need to point the gun in a downward position. Opposite if shooting up hill... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back