Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shooting sticks

Laelkhunter

My outfitter recommended purchasing some shooting sticks for my upcoming Elk hunt in October. I am thinking something adjustable so they can be used kneeling or standing. Do you recommend tri-pod, bi-pod, or mono pod? I want to get them early so I can practice with them. Thanks

For the most part you should be fine shooting off your pack. That said, the best option for a bipod for elk hunting in rugged country would be the Spartan Javelin. They make different legs for it so you can get pretty much whatever you want for height and they are extremely lightweight.

I used a monopod for a bit and then went to a bipod. I didn’t find the monopod all that helpful. I take the bipod just about everywhere. It’s a fairly cheap bipod that has levers to lock as opposed to the twist locks. It doubles as a trekking pole too. I put a little tape on some of the contact points to help keep it quiet.

If weight isn’t an issues for you I’d probably take a tripod.

I used shooting sticks for the first time in Africa. The front-and-back type. Almost takes the fun out of it. Like I told my PH after he praised me for dropping a bull wildebeest in this tracks, "Yeah, thanks. But really, a person would have to be mentally handicapped to screw up a shot like that with this gizmo." But then I had a tracker to lug the thing around. If your guide thinks it's so important for clients to use sticks, why isn't he providing them? I have used my brother's BAR with attached bipod and that worked well. Don't have to lug it around in hand. I think you will find that unless you're on a trail or going straight uphill or downhill, walking sticks can be a hindrance. Sidehill I definately want uphill hand ready to grab anything to keep balance and other hand hanging onto the gun. I have tried walking sticks elk hunting and didn't work. Worked once when bringing out quarters on my back downhill without the rifle. I cut a stick from what was available. Most of the time walking sticks aren't as handy as you think. Fine for trail hiking on vacation but not so much for bushwhacking when hunting. Then they're more of a nuisance.

Last edited:
I used the front-and-back shooting sticks in Africa. Almost takes the fun out of it. Like I told my PH after he praised me for dropping a bull wildebeest in this tracks, "Yeah, thanks. But really, a person would have to be mentally handicapped to screw up a shot like that with this gizmo." But then I had a tracker to lug the thing around. If your guide thinks it's so important for clients to use sticks, why isn't he providing them? I have used my brother's BAR with attached bipod and that worked well. Don't have to lug it around in hand. I think you will find that unless you're on a trail or going straight uphill or downhill, walking sticks can be a hindrance. Sidehill I definately want uphill hand ready to grab anything to keep balance and other hand hanging onto the gun. I have tried walking sticks elk hunting and didn't work. Worked once when bringing out quarters on my back downhill without the rifle. I cut a stick from what was available. Most of the time walking sticks aren't as handy as you think. Fine for trail hiking on vacation but not so much for bushwhacking when hunting. Then they're more of a nuisance.
Have you ever tried using trekking poles while having your rifle secured with something like the Kifaru Gun Bearer? I believe your opinion may change. I switched to this set up a few years ago and it was a game changer, especially while packing meat.

I use a primos trigger stick gen 2 tripod Gehenna antelope hunting to gain some height out of the sage, also use it preseason with my binoculars for glassing steadiness. Rest of the time I do most my shooting from a sitting position off of crossed trekking poles with my pack for rear support

Have you ever tried using trekking poles while having your rifle secured with something like the Kifaru Gun Bearer? I believe your opinion may change. I switched to this set up a few years ago and it was a game changer, especially while packing meat.
In my elk hunting days I let my horses do the meat packing. Only once did I have to haul meat any distance to them and that was someone else's botched job. If animals were not accessible to horses it was not accepted practice to shoot at them. Accepted practice has regrettably changed significantly over the years. Anyway, yes walking stick is useful if carrying a rifle and loaded with a heavy pack. But then I'm not hunting.

Also, in Africa I'm hunting "plains game" which means generally open country with relatively long shots. Sticks work well for that. For elk and moose I stalked them in timbered country. Shots are relatively close and plenty of material at hand to lean against for a rest. Also quick shooting is often the rule. Sticks would be unnecessary. The way I hunt deer now in eastern Montana is hike the coulee bottoms and peek up the side gullies. If careful I can catch sight of mule deer before they see me and work my away around for a good shot in sitting or preferably prone position. Daypack works well for a rest. I have used my brother's rifle with bipod for them. It worked okay but fiddly to set up on uneven ground. I also didn't care for the bulk. But that's just me. I would never drag sticks around.

Another thing to consider: Especially during the walk out at night on the road after an exhausting day and cold weather, swinging arms in rhythm with step can conserve a surprising amount of energy. It's the pendulum effect. When hanging onto rifle or dragging sticks your body is actually fighting against the immobilization of that side. Be fluid. Sling the rifle across the back and let both arms swing freely and you will notice a big difference. Been there ... lots of times.

Last edited:
I use a primos trigger stick gen 2 tripod Gehenna antelope hunting to gain some height out of the sage, also use it preseason with my binoculars for glassing steadiness. Rest of the time I do most my shooting from a sitting position off of crossed trekking poles with my pack for rear support
Yep, Trigger Sticks tripod (or trekking poles). I got introduced to them on an Alberta moose hunt and they were nice. They can be used like a trekking pole but a bit heavy. I added silencing felt to the poles as a hand grip for carrying when needed. The legs get cold when the WX drops below freezing.

Last edited:
For a standing position I think it’d be hard to beat a good tripod and you may already be carrying one for glass. For shooting from a sitting position in hunting situations I don’t think it gets much better than a Hatch bipod. They aren’t cheap but I’ve been ground hunting a lot more and it’s been awesome so far. Shooting from your pack is also a good option, just practice that way whenever you shoot.

I used Stoney Point shooting sticks for years.Still have them. Very light weight & pretty usefull.
Have hiking poles & have used them crossed. Works,OK.
Hiking stick with a yoke on top for many years,monopod. OK

Realized I have tripods.
I put the yoke on the light Manfrotto and shazam, I have a solid,versatile platform.
Taken 3 elk sitting behind & a buck shooting standing. The only issue with the Manfrotto is the pistol grip does not tighten down to a lock and it can be bumped & loosen. Works better with grip forward I found.
Now debating just using the Sirou tripod with the yoke. It is way more solid glassing,but weighs a bit more.

I carry a tripod a lot for glassing now in NM and this was just a no brainer for me. I use the tripod as a hiking staff at times. I pack everything away and use the hiking poles as needed. I use the pack prone shooting.
Just options.

After an embarrassing miss on a pronghorn I bought a pair of Primos shooting sticks that are really simple but nice. They are light, easy to use. Three segments and shock cords. Just enough to get you above the grass and sage and can be used on a slope, kneeling, sitting. I haven't used them on big game yet but did use them to pick the heads off treed spruce grouse with a .22 and they worked jim-dandy.

I have a the tall trigger stick in monopod and tripod. Both are useful. The tripod, if you can handle the weight, takes a ridiculous amount of human error potential out of it.

Back from my third trip to Africa and more experience with shooting sticks so thought I'd revive this thread.

I am done with quad style shooting sticks (like SFC B was raving about above). If you're shooting from a smooth flat surface and the animal is standing still as a statue and doesn't see you while setting them up, you can shoot out its eye with those things. But if you have to shoot quickly and/or in rough terrain and/or at an animal that's moving even just a little, those quad sticks are a big fat handicap. To readjust for say a moving animal requires lifting the whole contraption while keeping the gun cradled and stopping the sticks from collapsing. Then keep it all together while dragging the base points over/around/onto whatever obstacle lays on the ground (brush, rocks, sticks, potholes, etc) to reposition them. Sucks big time! I told my PH for my next trip if he couldn't find me a set of traditional tripod shooting sticks, I'd bring my own. Or just shoot offhand. When on tripod sticks the shooter only has to move himself to readjust or stay on a moving animal.

I brought along an attachable bipod this trip. Only used it once. Mine is 9-13" and really too short for most situations. It might work better on top of my pack but I rarely carried it. And that bipod is very uncomfortable when gun is slung on my shoulder. Before I go to Montana to hunt elk I will add another sling stud below the bipod to fix that. I have used my brother's BAR with longer attached bipod and don't like the added bulk (like the bulkiest hunting rifle made more bulky!).

Last edited:
I think ya'll may be over thinking this. They don't have to be fancy, or expensive. More animals have been shot off of these sticks over 30 yrs than most store bought ones. They don't seem to be in any need of replacement soon either... :)

vKXvB1e.jpg

wck7Rq5.jpg

751ojrP.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back