MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Shooting Broadheads

One other thing that nobody has mentioned yet but may be a factor is your shooting form. Any discrepancy in grip, hand torque, or anchor point may be enough to through your groups off with b-heads.

Gerald could be on to something here. I was shooting the exact same height with my broadheads but two inches to the right no matter what I adjusted. I let somebody else take a couple of shots and they were shooting arrows on top of each other. We assumed it was my form so I started adjusting my grip and now I am about a 1/2" right of FP's.

I thought I was gaining headway but the broadhead groups aren't shrinking.
I don't really want to mess with the nock on my own so I think I'll head into the bowshop tomorrow and wait in line.
Thanks for the help though guys.

Span my arrows a bunch last night, a couple were off a little.
Went in to the shop this morning and had them paper tune it real quick.

Broadheads are now grouping good at twenty yards, will hit the longer range this afternoon and see how they're doing there.

I like your idea of sticking with broadheads year around Buschy.
Any particular target that you find holds up to lots of broadhead use?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

You guys that shoot broadheads all year round..do you fletch your own arrows, not shoot groups, etc??

How do you keep from damaging a ton of fletching by shooting broadheads all the time?

Softball sized group at 40.

Can you dull blades at all by shooting into foam?

If a person can find 6lb ethafoam it works awesome. Usually comes in sheet 24 inch by 12 feet. Cut into third each way and put between 2x8's with all thread to hold boards together. Best target ever! As far as broadheads I like G5 100gr, they shoot good for me!

Softball sized group at 40.

Can you dull blades at all by shooting into foam?
Sounds like you are ready.

I must say make absolutely sure that you change your blades or re-sharpen to razor sharp. This is one area you don't want to skimp on. I think a lot of lost animals are due to broadheads that are not sharp. Veins are like rubber bands, if the blades are not razor sharp the veins will push around your blades.

Good luck and go kill something.

Muzzy's are a bigger head and do take perfect form and tuning to shoot well. They certainly are good at getting the job done once they hit the target though. You might also want to shoot them with max offset and helical to your vanes. That might tighten your groups.

I've been shooting Muzzy's for more than 15 years and they've shot very well for me. I've killed a lot of game with them. I think you figured it out, that it was a tuning issue, not a broadhead issue. Good luck. Ed F

Randy one thing you can not skimp on is broad heads you need the good one's. One's that fly like field point. If you not getting that with the mussy's then find one's that will. I like Slick Tricks. Great heads that fly like field points, have the thickest blades on the market and leave a gapping hole. They bust through bone.

Attachments

• IMGA0146.JPG
    IMGA0146.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 749
Idahobugler, Yes bow is ready and so am I. Getting very excited to head south n start calling to those screaming bulls. I agree with vein and broadheads situation about being dull. They just push around the veins and don't cut. That is bad news for someone who is shooting dull broadheads!

When you leaving on your colorado elk hunt? Do you know if you will have cell service? Keep in touch and shoot big.

I had stuggled with the entire broadhead issue for years. I have a dislike for mechanical devices, so I was never big on expandables, even though they shot very accurately.

After trying most every brand of fixed blade broadhead on the market, Bugler told me about Magnus broadheads. I tried them. If your arrows are spined properly and the bow is tuned well, they group with my field points to a degree where I cannot tell if I just shot a field point or a broadhead.

So far, I have shot four animals with them. All complete passthroughs and huge wound channels. Not quite like "Throwing an axe through an animal :D," but very impressive results.

I am a stickler about razor sharp blades, and will touch them up even from the little bit of sharpness lost while taking them in and out of the foam protector in my quiver. That might have some influence on performance.

The most impressive performance so far was the Nevada deer I shot last week. He was 62 yards, quartering away from me. I am shooting 60# with a Bowtech Destroyer 350. I have no idea how fast it shoots, or the KE.

But I do know that the broadhead hit that deer in front of the last rib, went through the liver, took out the far lung and completely exited the opposite shoulder blade. That was some serious penetration for a bow shooting only 60#.

Consider me a loyal fan of razor sharp Magnus Stinger 4-blade broadheads. And, they have a "No questions asked" lifetime warranty.

I'll be sticking with the Muzzy's this year because I already have them, and they're flying good enough for my limited range.

Depending on how they tear up the 360" bull I put them in in a couple weeks, I might be looking at different broadheads in the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back