Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Shooters tarnishing our public land

BoulderBulls

This area is very near where I like to hunt and fish. If we're not careful we're going to have no where left to go shoot and they'll come for hunting next.

How do we get EVERYONE shooting on public lands to clean up their act?

This area is very near where I like to hunt and fish. If we're not careful we're going to have no where left to go shoot and they'll come for hunting next.

How do we get EVERYONE shooting on public lands to clean up their act?

I'll never understand why people think they can leave their garbage behind on public land... who do they think is going to pick it up? I've also never understood blowing up perfectly good trees and old appliances.

I agree with @rwc101 I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I used to shoot on piece of State owned land near my home. Unfortunately, high schoolers decided it was a good place to have their drunken parties and leave trash, broken glass, and debris all over a one acre area. Last year the gate leading up to the area was locked. There is a certain segment of the population that are just willfully ignorant slobs. I don't know of a viable solution for that kind of behavior.

Catch them in the act, and don’t let your fear stand in the way of your spine. Say something. Get mad at them— to them. Otherwise, pick up what you can when you pass. It sucks that 2/3rds of the people suck. But if we, as the 1/3, don’t let our pride stand in our way, and clean up after others, it may buy us time in the end.

This does nothing for the other 2/3rds but enable them, I know. 😞 we must continue to be the bigger men and women…

No one wants to give a little, so they worked out an unworkable plan that pushed the problem out a few years while it got worse. I went to the first few meetings over the issue and watched what went on. The org Northern Front Range Sport Shooting Partners seems to have faded into the sunset, or at best a page at CPW who were one of the partners. https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/ShootingSportsPartners.aspx

The org despite its name was anti gun from the get go. Boulder Rifle club started charging twenty bucks per person on their public weekends once a month, that was a couple years ago when I stopped going.

Shooters create trash, the Baker Draw range operated by the Forest Service seems to have worked out. Busy on weekends especially. FS along with volunteers seem to keep it cleaned up and divert a lot of activity to it instead of Pawnee Grasslands.

People make trash, I see it at trailheads that get ten cars a day, FS comes up once a week and empties the trash cans and picks up. I usually take a bag with me when I go hiking.

Boulder County has tons of sites they could set up a mostly free county range just like other counties. But they won't, not on county land. No one wants a range close by. Nimbyism. They need one up high and one down low, four seasons. Fifty lanes would get filled quickly I'd think. All the private ranges that are charging a ton of money now would probably keep anything from happening.

I read they want to expand the areas they don't allow hunting, expand it from Sugarloaf to Magnolia. I'd say move to Montana but CA already did that.

I shoot at a local gravel pit (public land) every Monday or Tuesday
and fill the bed of my pickup with trash left behind by weekend shooters.
Glass bottles, propane tanks, TVs, pallets, etc.

I haul that "shooter trash" to the dump as a "clean-up tax" for the privilege of shooting there.
It is a nice spot 15 minutes away from home and I'd hate to loose it.
At least the area is clean until weekend shooters mess it up again and the cycle continues.

I shoot at a local gravel pit (public land) every Monday or Tuesday
and fill the bed of my pickup with trash left behind by weekend shooters.
Glass bottles, propane tanks, TVs, pallets, etc.

I haul that "shooter trash" to the dump as a "clean-up tax" for the privilege of shooting there.
It is a nice spot 15 minutes away from home and I'd hate to loose it.
At least the area is clean until weekend shooters mess it up again and the cycle continues.
Sounds like you need to go there on the weekend and tell them off instead of cleaning up after them....

Giant problem by my house. I wish Michigan DNR would close off the roads. I’m happy to walk my arse in there but no one is going to carry a TV in there to shoot at. Too many disrespectful people out there today. It’s time they loose some of their privileges.

While it isn't the perfect solution and it cost money I think building more ranges on public land is part of the answer. If you at least give these people somewhere centralized to shoot it make policing and cleaning up afterwards easier for us that want to do the right thing

While it isn't the perfect solution and it cost money I think building more ranges on public land is part of the answer. If you at least give these people somewhere centralized to shoot it make policing and cleaning up afterwards easier for us that want to do the right thing

We have a nice range just outside of town. Fees are reasonable and memberships aren't capped. Located just past the city landfill. People still drive right past both to shoot up their old appliances and furniture on a sliver of BLM miles down the road.

We have a nice range just outside of town. Fees are reasonable and memberships aren't capped. Located just past the city landfill. People still drive right past both to shoot up their old appliances and furniture on a sliver of BLM miles down the road.
I'm talking about free public ranges. But you are talking about trash and they will always do that..

I'm talking about free public ranges. But you are talking about trash and they will always do that..

I guess my point is that I have my doubts whether people who won't pay a reasonable range fee and drive past the landfill twice and still litter after dumping $150 worth of 5.56 into a refrigerator aren't going to drive 1/10th of a mile out of their way to a free public range.

WDFW just recently built a free range to try to at least contain the shooting debris. We'll see how it pans out. I'm not going to hold my breath that it wouldn't be destroyed by shooters in the very near future.

WDFW just recently built a free range to try to at least contain the shooting debris. We'll see how it pans out. I'm not going to hold my breath that it wouldn't be destroyed by shooters in the very near future.
I haven't heard about that is it in the Wenatchee area?

I think tolerating wildcat shooting ranges and trashing up public spaces is permitting the same. There’s a place here in Albuquerque (I’m sure some of you know where I’m talking about). These assholes drag out refrigerators, shoot ‘em up and leave everything behind. If shooters were to shoot over the berm then bullets could hit the County jail.
But here’s the thing, everyone knows about this. Many of our LEOs used that wildcat range when they were younger. Everyone knows it ain’t right (County-wide discharge law, unsafe conditions) and yet it exists.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back