Shiras moose caliber

If you want to stick with your 25-06 get some Barnes or other bonded bullet and use them. Moose are babies and lay down very shortly after being hit. Obviously with 25-06 your probably not going to get an exit so it won’t bleed very well
I think I could have slapped the bull moose I shot in SE Idaho. Get close. 25-06 will kill a moose. Might take a couple more shots than my .338 Win Mag did but each of my shots was lethal though I kept hammering the lungs/heart zone until tipped over as I had a bum leg and did not want to pack any further than necessary. A low lung shot will drain. They have big lungs so a high lung shot may not fill up for a while to start dripping.

I think I could have slapped the bull moose I shot in SE Idaho. Get close. 25-06 will kill a moose. Might take a couple more shots than my .338 Win Mag did but each of my shots was lethal though I kept hammering the lungs/heart zone until tipped over as I had a bum leg and did not want to pack any further than necessary. A low lung shot will drain. They have big lungs so a high lung shot may not fill up for a while to start dripping.
Even with 338 they take a few. They usually just stand there and you can shoot them a few more times. If they don’t stand I dint think I have had one go more then 20-30 yards before laying down

Thanks for the recommendations. I have someone offering to let me borrow their rifle but honestly its a really nice gun and I can see myself dropping it or something happening. I considering the 30-06 or 308. Thanks again everyone!
I'd go cheap then...Ruger American et al. Fixed 4x or 6x Leupold. You're not going to shoot it from far away; consistent 1.5-2" groups would be adequate, trusting it to hold zero would be my higher priority.

I’m taking my .300win mag with 181 grain shock hammers, but I’d have no qualms using my .264win mag with 140grain swift aframes or 120grain etips.

My family has killed a few elk with 257 Roberts. The elk all died quickly.

Swedes like to use 6.5x55 for moose.

Your 25-06 will work fine but don’t skip an opportunity to buy a new rifle if you want one. If you don’t, make sure you are using a good bullet. In fact, the bullet you use is probably more important than caliber. I use accubonds because they work for me.

Last edited:
Shiras moose are soft, you can easily kill them with any legal firearm. My immediate family and I have killed 6 of them with everything from a 6.5 CM to a .338. I would have no concern whatsoever with a 25-06.
My son killed this one with a 6.5, one shot through the lungs and he never took a step....

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_083157.jpg
    IMG_20200919_083157.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
If you hunted a lot with your 25-06 and are very confident in your shooting ability with it I would carry that unless you are using this hunt as an excuse to get a new rifle.

I love my .280AI and am hoping to get my first moose with it this year.
I think 270, 280, 7mm, .30-06 or many others would be good. Moose are killed in Alaska with a .243, though most people think that is a bit small. You could use your .25-06.

Bergara would be good, Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka, several good options. You could look for a nicer used gun too. Browning X-bolt, Ruger, lots of good options.
Then get a nice scope - you don't need anything crazy, something that is good for a few hundred yards.

My wife also drew a Idaho moose tag this year. I am upgrading her to a Tikka t3 stainless 308.
I have been on several moose hunts in the last couple years and think she will be good with this choice. Mind if I ask which hunt you drew ?

I think moose sometimes just take a little while to realize they are dead. I have shot five (four Shiras and one Canada) and all of the shots have been pretty close - one maybe 75 yards and four within 50. I almost bought a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5x55 to use on my last one. I didn’t get the Swede but I wouldn’t have been concerned with using it. With the 25-06, I think you would be fine loaded with Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Barnes or Hammer bullets, or 120 gr Core-Lokts. Just put the bullet tight in behind the shoulder on a broadside shot and you will have yourself a bull.

Thanks again everyone for the replies, I appreciate the insight. I think I’m going to stick with the 25-06, watch my shots, and reload my own rounds with 115gr or 120 gr noslers or Barnes. Was also offered a 308 in a savage model 99 as back up as well (love those rifles but I can practice more with my 25 and it shoots well).

My wife drew a MT moose tag this year and we’ll be taking her .270 with 130gr ttsx - it’s been a great setup for elk, and looking forward to taking her first moose with it!

I can tell you that a properly placed 225grain TTSX from my .338RUM was all it took on my moose in 2019. Having said that I basically flipped a coin between that and my 7mm as I would have been just as confident with either, if I did my part as the shooter.

Shiras are not tough animals to kill. Use whatever you're comfortable with and make a clean shot, the moose will die.

I just bought a 300 prc and plan on using it this season for my elk and would definitely use it for a moose

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back