Yeti GOBOX Collection

Shiras moose caliber

I think I could have slapped the bull moose I shot in SE Idaho. Get close. 25-06 will kill a moose. Might take a couple more shots than my .338 Win Mag did but each of my shots was lethal though I kept hammering the lungs/heart zone until tipped over as I had a bum leg and did not want to pack any further than necessary. A low lung shot will drain. They have big lungs so a high lung shot may not fill up for a while to start dripping.
Very true. My friend made a high lung shot with his bow on his moose. It only went 70 yards before it laid down and died, but all the blood stayed in the cavity.

I killed my Bull with a CVA 50 cal muzzleloader

The rifle is what I shot him with, he soaked up (2) shots at 20 yards. Went down and got up (4) times before dying in the river and floating away from the truck.

The pistol is for those up close armpit shots. It’s a blast to shoot!
Great combo

Muzzleloader
Works every time…95% of the time

Attachments

• 920C27F7-6D84-4A31-9180-76B771D82A36.jpeg
    920C27F7-6D84-4A31-9180-76B771D82A36.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 3FBF6D4A-30E3-4A5D-88E1-7DD05E57F7C6.jpeg
    3FBF6D4A-30E3-4A5D-88E1-7DD05E57F7C6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Thanks again everyone for the replies, I appreciate the insight. I think I’m going to stick with the 25-06, watch my shots, and reload my own rounds with 115gr or 120 gr noslers or Barnes. Was also offered a 308 in a savage model 99 as back up as well (love those rifles but I can practice more with my 25 and it shoots well).
@Sisu64 Have you started loading yet? If not, I'd highly recommend checking out Hammer Bullets. They're coper solids that have given me amazing accuracy and terminal results. Much easier to load for than Barnes IMO

@Sisu64 Have you started loading yet? If not, I'd highly recommend checking out Hammer Bullets. They're coper solids that have given me amazing accuracy and terminal results. Much easier to load for than Barnes IMO
I have, i'm honestly struggling to find components. I did pick up a few boxes of hammers but didn't load any yet just because im new to it and wanted to be cautious with the load data. My barrel also has the stand 1:10 twist rate so i'm not sure if it would stabilize the bullets. I still have a few to reload so I might try a couple though. The look like they would do good work from everything i've read!

So I drew a Shiras tag for Idaho this year and only have one rifle, a 25-06. From what I’ve read, recommendations for moose general start in the 7mm or 30cal range and go up from there. I want to be ethical in my rifle choice but money is also tight to be dropping it left and right. I have also always struggled to get rid of being recoil shy since I was young (though having ear plugs has helped tremendously)so I’m cautious about magnums. Looking to update my rifle for moose and elk, what caliber should I look at and any affordable (sub $700) would you recommend? I also should note that I cannot find 25-06 ammo for the life of me that’s not core-lokt so that also factors into my thoughts of upgrading.
no friends to borrow from? save you some$$$$

no friends to borrow from? save you some$$$$
I've had a couple offers but i'm honestly wary of borrowing peoples stuff. I don't think i'd enjoy the hunt as much worrying about someones rifle. I've also a lot more practice with the 25-06 and was hitting steel at 300 yesterday. With the unit the way it is though I doubt I'll have a shot over 200 yards.

I've had a couple offers but i'm honestly wary of borrowing peoples stuff. I don't think i'd enjoy the hunt as much worrying about someones rifle. I've also a lot more practice with the 25-06 and was hitting steel at 300 yesterday. With the unit the way it is though I doubt I'll have a shot over 200 yards.
By the way congrats on tag hope you have fun and then tag out

I have, i'm honestly struggling to find components. I did pick up a few boxes of hammers but didn't load any yet just because im new to it and wanted to be cautious with the load data. My barrel also has the stand 1:10 twist rate so i'm not sure if it would stabilize the bullets. I still have a few to reload so I might try a couple though. The look like they would do good work from everything i've read!
No need to go super heavy with the hammers, get one appropriate for your twist and probably on the light side. Drive it fast and they will expand and penetrate deep

So I drew a Shiras tag for Idaho this year and only have one rifle, a 25-06. From what I’ve read, recommendations for moose general start in the 7mm or 30cal range and go up from there. I want to be ethical in my rifle choice but money is also tight to be dropping it left and right. I have also always struggled to get rid of being recoil shy since I was young (though having ear plugs has helped tremendously)so I’m cautious about magnums. Looking to update my rifle for moose and elk, what caliber should I look at and any affordable (sub $700) would you recommend? I also should note that I cannot find 25-06 ammo for the life of me that’s not core-lokt so that also factors into my thoughts of upgrading.
We drew 2 moose tags. And we are doing 300 win mag.

Definitely need at least a .338-378 WB to even get through the hair on a moose.

Kidding of course, get a good bonded bullet, or a copper mono and your 25-06 will be an excellent moose gun. Scandinavians kill tons of moose with the 6.5 swede, which is very similarly compared to the 1/4-06

Very true. My friend made a high lung shot with his bow on his moose. It only went 70 yards before it laid down and died, but all the blood stayed in the cavity.
I had a similar experience with my partner shooting an Alaskan bull high in the lungs with a 300 Win Mag 180 gr partition.
Knocked the bull down on to frosted grass and the bull took off quickly.
It went 100 yards and dropped in a hole. Tracking the blood trail involved on my knees marking tiny specks
of blood on each blade of grass and it took about an hour to find the bull.

More typically the bull stands and absorbs rounds into the boiler room until he finally tips over.

Don't let the hump fool you into shooting high in the lungs.

Even back in 1993, one 140g Barnes from my 7mag dispatched this old Wyoming bull. He was 360 yds away and only took one step before he fell.

Attachments

• IMG_1853 (1).JPG
    IMG_1853 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Back