Sheep: now or later

Guys I appreciate all your feedback and honestly see both sides. Money is always more valuable saved and invested, but doesn't do you any good when you are dead.

I see both sides if the argument. 20,000 for 10 days is ridiculous and I get it. It's also crazy to spend 40k on a vehicle. To me I'd much rather spend 20k on a vehicle (or less) and 20k on a trip while still going on fun family vacations.

It's important to prioritize and I think for me it is.
1. Keep roof over head
2. Retirement investments (max every vehicle possible
3. Fund kids college education with goal of free college for them
4. Working vehicles
5. Family fun
6. Hunting fun

This is a crude high level list but where I'm at mentally.
Looks like a good list!

Go now or it won't happen and you will always regret it. You will run out of health before you run out of money. I went a few years ago and had a great time. Paying on a 2023 trip for sheep and grizzly in Alaska currently. Probably my last sheep hunt I can afford unless I move to Alaska when I retire. Which I'm contemplating daily doing just that. Good luck, sheep are cool critters and live in amazing places.

The answer is always now, if you really want to go. The cost will never go down, and there is uncertainty about access for NR sheep hunters in the future. You do need to be prepared for the possibility that you will spend a lot of money and come home without a sheep. I hunted Dall sheep in 2007 and the same hunt has increased 89% in price since then.
I agree ----however

A happy wife makes a happy life--buy the truck ;)

On a diffrent thread about border closures, it was suggested that for the same amount of money or less you could hunt a lot more animals and how beautiful Africa is and although this is true, you can not hunt a Stone Sheep, Grizzly or Moose there ( as an example ) .

So if one of those are what you want to hunt, dont go to Africa, as regardless of how many animals you can shoot, it doesn't scratch the itch you have for a sheep hunt.

I have enjoyed hunting Africa, but the memories of other hunts, some where only one animal was taken, have also provided lifelong memories. Plus everyone is not the same, as one person may enjoy shooting a large number of animals, even some they really have no interest in, while others enjoy hunting the ONE animal they have always wanted to hunt.

Since a sheep hunt is YOUR desire, lets look at your options. The cost of a Stone hunt in The Yukon can now cost a much as a Marco Polo and the Marco Polo is a tough hunt and the trophy is magnificent. You could also head to Argentina and hunt the Pampa ( although they are a bit smaller ), but the Red Stag would also be available to you as would a day or two of Dove hunting. The Dall in Alaska or Canada. Desert in Old Mexico. All different, all exciting hunts, all "sheep" hunts.

What is your favorite type of terrain to hunt. Marco Polo is a tough, tough hunt and barren land as is hunting the Desert in Old Mexico. The Dall in Alaska or Canada is IMHO, hunted on some of the most beautiful land on earth. Argentina will be both rolling grass and barren, but you will ride a horse right up to when you get off to shoot.

Argentina is also the least expensive, but also the smallest sheep of those I have mentioned. The only reason I threw this one in, was because a lot of people like the idea of hunting the Red Stag and if you like wing shooting, this is the place to go, so a combination. You got sheep, Red Stag as well as some unbelievable wing shooting.

However, I know Canada also lets you take additional animals when on a sheep hunt, like bear and wolf, at no additional charge, so that might also be of interest to you. You might also be able to do this in Alaska but I "think" you would have to pay a trophy fee for the additional animals shot, but not sure. Our Alaska members can advise you about that.

As to timing, as soon a possible, without creating any financial hardship for your family, as the possibility of the costs going down in the future are slim and none

However, after having said all this, please reread the second sentence on this post:)

I had a fine time in Africa and have also shot some great trophies in North America ... and a couple involved circumstances that almost killed me. All that said, there is NOTHING I enjoy more than hunting with my dogs whether stalking geese on a timbered slough or chasing pheasants in Montana. Lots of shooting usually ... well, lots more than big game hunting anyway. Hunting alone with no worries is also a bonus. And the pricetag is chump change comparatively speaking. A nonresident upland license is $130 (or it was last time I bought one ... I've been buying big game/bird/fishing combo package since 2016). Not having to deal with transporting a carcass, butchering, and boiling skulls is nice. No guide necessary to blow phony smoke up my butt. Watching the dogs work is the best part. They always want to hunt where I hunt and never complain if we skip lunch or go out in crappy weather. They are the best hunting buddies.

So forget about some crap shoot overpriced sheep hunt or expensive money pit pickup that will give you an anxiety attack every time you see granny cruising Walmart parking lot searching for a shiny new rig to whack with her car door. Keep the clunker and buy a dog. Then you're all set. Best part is the dog will keep you entertained and occupied 24/7 year round ... right in your own home!

Last edited:
I can’t afford to book a sheep hunt. I likely will never be able to afford booking a sheep hunt. I can live with that. I might draw something someday.

YOU seem to be able to afford to book a sheep hunt. If that’s the case AND it’s important to you DO IT. You will not get younger, and the hunt will not get cheaper or more available. Your life will not get less cluttered. Sheep will not suddenly appear on your wall. Time will not suddenly become less precious.

Don’t skip out on actual responsibilities though. Pay your bills, maintain/repair your home and vehicles, take care of your family, and save for retirement. Having enough money in the bank to book a sheep hunt, does not necessarily equal being able to afford a sheep hunt. If you can afford it, do it. If you cannot afford it, then do not spend every dollar your family has to do something for yourself.

When @Europe posts something, everyone should read it thrice, take notes, take a screenshot, read it again, and probably follow her advice. She has more wisdom than most of the people any of us will encounter elsewhere.....unless she’s recommending a cartridge, in which case she’s probably recommending something that recoils more than most professional football players would enjoy, and you can probably throw that advice out the window.

Last edited:
Go hunting. My dream has been Africa and that is where I have thrown most of my money from my side businesses.

If sheep is your dream, do it man. Find the right outfitter and the right area and book it.

My two cents.

When @Europe posts something, everyone should read it thrice, take notes, take a screenshot, read it again, and probably follow her advice. She has more wisdom than most of the people any of us will encounter elsewhere.....unless she’s recommending a cartridge, in which case she’s probably recommending something that recoils more than most professional football players would enjoy, and you can probably throw that advice out the window.

:ROFLMAO: and you are not wrong. I asked her about the recoil of her 450/400 and her response was "you dont even notice it when a lion or buffalo is running straight toward you " ;)

Kevin, as others have said, if that is your dream hunt, then by all means do it. Choose the one you want to hunt ( stone, dall, desert, marco polo, etc ) and go for it ! As mentioned you might also look for sheep hunts that allow you to take other animals you also have an interest in. I will not be hunting sheep but thanks to April and my grandparents I will hunt Argentina and my "combination" will be Red Stag, Doves, and traveling through Peru and Brazil ( ruins and amazon river basin ) . I think cost and time wise your best bet would be Alaska over Canada, Argentina, Mexico or Tajikistan. But having a Marco Polo on the wall of your man cave would not be all bad:)

How recent was the ‘sheep dream’ implanted? Is this been a lifelong dream or relatively recent? Short term dreams come and go; truck is obviously more practical. How old are you and how is your health?

Keep in mind - there’s no “guaranteed” sheep hunts; you could very well come home from that trip empty handed.

Marriage is a tricky balance, this is where you cash in a lot of chips since this is a very personal goal / pursuit.

"... I will hunt Argentina and my "combination" will be Red Stag, Doves ..."

The fellow who talked me into going fishing on Kodiak Island went on one of those Argentina "River of Dove" shoots. Be prepared, it isn't a "hunt", it's a "shoot".
He was there 3 days, burned through 9 cases of ammo and had NO idea how many dove he shot. He did seem to think he killed more parakeets than dove.
Dove eat the grain that falls to the ground. The parakeets nip the head off the grain, eat what they want, then drop the head.
The locals would MUCH rather you kill the parakeets! LOL!
He said by the 3rd day, he was so bored that he only took the toughest shots.
Oh yes! The eagles! They are a threat to the local sheep rearing operations. Remember, you are in "SOUTH" America!
Kill the eagles, too!
In his 3 day shoot, the host NEVER fed them the dove they shot. He fed them the "Argentina Beef" they are so proud of. They took the dove to town when they were cleaned and distributed to the locals.
The parakeets? To the dump!

P.S. Randi - best of luck on you hunt! Enjoy!
My buddy said that he DID enjoy the "hunt" immensely!

Thank you, I am looking forward to this trip, which hopefully will happen sooner and not later ( virus travel restrictions )

April and her husband had been there a few times, so her help and guidance was and is appreciated. She mentioned some of the same things you mentioned and had me reserve a 20 ga semi auto for the "shoot", instead of taking my shotgun. She told me the help will pick up the hulls and birds, all I have to do is
shoot :)

The other parts of the trip are actually more exciting to me. Riding horses to/on the Red Stag hunt is also something I am looking forward to as I love horses and of course the hunt itself. But I am also looking forward to the exploring part of South America. The ruins in Peru, and the river in Brazil. I may try to find a way to visit both Copa Cabana Beach in Rio and also Buenes Aires. She has told me to take tango lessons before going to B.A. and I will be able to dance with some of the locals in the streets of B.A. I apologize got a bit carried away.

Yes looking forward to the dove "shoot" :)

I forgot about the "rental". He rented 2 shotguns. 12 gauge. Kid they sent along kept his empties policed, birds retrieved and shotguns loaded. Think he said they were Benelli's?

Find something else to hunt. A sheep is not worth the money IMHO. I have never hunted them and I never will. I'm simply not going to financially swamp my family to kill an animal. EVER. Personal decision.
This. Apply in every state and hope to draw a sheep tag. Buy a good, used truck and invest the rest. Financial security down the road is priceless.

How recent was the ‘sheep dream’ implanted? Is this been a lifelong dream or relatively recent? Short term dreams come and go; truck is obviously more practical. How old are you and how is your health?

Keep in mind - there’s no “guaranteed” sheep hunts; you could very well come home from that trip empty handed.

Marriage is a tricky balance, this is where you cash in a lot of chips since this is a very personal goal / pursuit.
It's been a dream for pushing 20 years. As has moose and caribou. I was able to achieve my bison dream in 2016 and I still apply for toehr bison tags yearly. I'm 33, decent health but am a type 1 diabetic with good control. I was a 3 sport college athlete, but would certainly need to get in shape. Colorado at 10 to 11,000 feet was rough due to altitude, physically not terrible after a 6 mile pack in with 50lbs and 3000 vertical feet in 80 degree weather.

I am also debating a moose and caribou combo. Probably in Canada for Canadian moose

Guys and gals,

I have a lot of dreams in life, call me young and dumb if you like, but I'm happy to be an optimist and even happier I've been very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and wanted opportunities I certainly don't deserve.

I've always wanted to go on a sheep hunt ( as well as moose, Mt. Goat, elk and caribou). I've been on two unsuccessful diy elk hunts, have shot a free range cow bison with my bow in wyoming, and now am trying to determine if it's better to wait and save for a dall sheep hunt and maybe go on a guided elk hunt and mt. Goat hunt or go for it and do the sheep hunt now.

If you ask my wife she would encourage me to get a new f150, but I refuse to dump "sheep money" into anything with 4 wheels. I'm quite content to drive my little Ford fiesta deer hunting and get laughed at when I have to load one in the trunk.

What do you guys think. Anyone been on a bad sheep hunt and regretted it? Hoe many of you have been on a good, but unsuccessful sheep hunt that was guided.
When you get older it will not be the stupid things you did that you regret. It will be the things you didn’t do. GO SHEEP HUNTING!!!

It's been a dream for pushing 20 years. As has moose and caribou. I was able to achieve my bison dream in 2016 and I still apply for toehr bison tags yearly. I'm 33, decent health but am a type 1 diabetic with good control. I was a 3 sport college athlete, but would certainly need to get in shape. Colorado at 10 to 11,000 feet was rough due to altitude, physically not terrible after a 6 mile pack in with 50lbs and 3000 vertical feet in 80 degree weather.

I am also debating a moose and caribou combo. Probably in Canada for Canadian moose

@kevinfoerster Seems like your head is in the right place. “Sheep shape” is no joke, but if you’ve got the money and your health it’s best to not live a life of regrets.

Keep in mind, posing this question in Hunt Talk is the equivalent of going to a bar and asking if you should quit drinking (lol).

if you have Reg saving and retirement accounts that your not using for hunting get a used truck n book your sheep hunt I dont use household money for hunting, or take it from regular saving I set up a special accnt for hunting and misc things
if you can do it when your young do it

I am sitting racking my brain for a reason for you not to do the sheep hunt.

I can’t think of one as long as you can afford it and have your wife’s blessing.

How many of you guys have sheep hunted, in particular dall's? Anyone also hunted a moose. Just trying to gauge what you found to be a better experience. Cost wise it's pretty much the same with sheep being a bit cheaper as if I was moose hunting I'd likely add on a caribou as it is so cost effective at that point.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I have a pretty awesome wife. She is on board with my dreams. Another is owning a farm as I grew up on one and want to retire on one. I've had a farm fund invested since I was 18 and contribute significantly to it every year. As long as that is the source of my hunting budget she's cool with it.

Hunted dall’s in the chugach range in Alaska, and moose in the Yukon. Both were awesome experiences and were a sizable financial sacrifice for a tradesperson. Absolutely no regrets.
As far as the better experience...there’s nothing like sheep hunting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back