Shanks in an Instapot?

My favorite for osco bucco cooked in slow cooker:

First, the secret of the flavor to these is the bone marrow which is yet another reason you do not want to quick cook these. If you do, there is not enough time to draw the flavor out of the bone marrow.

1. Prepare skillet with olive oil, and pinches of thyme, basil and rosemary. The fresher the better on these spices. Heat skillet to medium or 350 degrees. Sear each piece until meat is brown and essentually "cauterized" all over. then set aside on a paper towel and then dab until not so greasy. Searing is not absolutely necessary, but without searing, the meat might taste flat and kinda boring.

2. Prepare liquid in slow cooker with same spices you would use for a roast. I like the italian flavor so I include italian spice along with onion, whole garlic cloves, pepper corns, and lemon zest (grated lemon peel), salt and pepper. I don't measure much because the osco bucco varies in size each time you get them so I add spices to taste which differs with each individual tasting them.

3. Remove any solidified fat from the meat and put in the slow cooker. Set slow cooker to 8 hours on medium temp if temp setting is available. Again, if broth is boiling, you are cooking too fast. It should be just below boiling point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back