Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shanks in an Instapot?

Hank Shaw's Tunisian stew is about the only way we make them these days.
I'll check it out. I made them in the oven one time with a ton of garlic. Want to try another method. I also thought about some smoke on the Traeger then into to the cooker. mtmuley

Osso bucco, just requires cutting them into sections, then browning before putting in everything else. I've done it in a Dutch and a crockpot but no reason you couldnt instapot it.

Yeah a pressure cooker will work. Every psi raises the boiling point roughly 3 degrees, so the low pressure setting on an instapot gives you about 230-235 degrees and the high setting 240-245. The reason it still works though is that youre cooking in 100% humidity and water transfers heat extremely well, as well as helps break down the collagen into gelatin. Also 250 is still relatively low temp for cooking.

I'll check it out. I made them in the oven one time with a ton of garlic. Want to try another method. I also thought about some smoke on the Traeger then into to the cooker. mtmuley
Have a bunch of shanks. gonna do same. smoke then slow cook some.

I've done both a pile of times. The slow cooker delivers a better flavor but the instant pot does it in half the time.

Osso bucco, just requires cutting them into sections, then browning before putting in everything else. I've done it in a Dutch and a crockpot but no reason you couldnt instapot it.
Ya forgot that part. We did brown them first on the saute mode.

I cook shanks in a slow cooker for 8 hours like you would do a roast and both wife and I love them. Got gifted an eastern blacktail rump and front quarter and we had both rump roast and a shank together. Throwed in stew veggies and man that was good.

Here I was thinking this thread was going to be about someone being shanked and an instapot was somehow involved.

Anybody done this? I know shanks need low slow cooking, but other meats we have cooked in it turned out great, just faster. mtmuley

Should work just fine! I'd suggest browning or smoking them first though to get the added flavor you'd miss by doing a longer cooking method.

i tried a elk shank in my new insta pot,,took about 1 1/2 hrs and it still was medioker,,ok for a pulled type of sandwitch ,but was hoping it came out better..still had that wierd layering in the meat,,what did i do wrong?//how long should i try osobucco 1" thick in a instata pot?

i tried a elk shank in my new insta pot,,took about 1 1/2 hrs and it still was medioker,,ok for a pulled type of sandwitch ,but was hoping it came out better..still had that wierd layering in the meat,,what did i do wrong?//how long should i try osobucco 1" thick in a instata pot?
Low and slow is the key to these. Shanks are not real good candidates for instapots and better candidates for slow cookers and crock pots. For osco bucco I like to brown them in a skillet to give them color and seal in the flavor, then put in a slow cooker and cook for about 8 hours. If you cook these cuts too fast, they toughen up similar to what you see if you cut them during rigor phase or they get a really grainy texture that some people do not like.

Temp of the broth or liquid used should be just below boiling. If the water is boiling, you are cooking too fast and at too high of heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back