SFC B and the rag-tag band of brothers for 2022!!

Okie doke...... so this is from my phone and may get messy 😉

This morning was fairly uneventful. Chilly with some snow. CPO and I were at one farm and Redman was at another. Redman was waiting on Mr Big and we didn't get a shot opportunity. Saw about 7 does (including the ones we blew out on the way in) and I had a look at a too young 3x3 about 275 yds away . Went in for lunch and changed our positions a little. I moved from the field edge to the woods and a different stand.

CPO caught a fleeting glance of a deer through the woods but nothing more. I hadn't seen anything until 1630 (shooting light is 1800). At that point a doe crossed a dry creek bed about 40 yds from me and I took a good feeling shot. I decided to wait for a bit before going after her in case she had buddies. Nothing in a half hour so at 1700 I got down. Go to the spot and NO blood. I do an expanding circle and zilch. Go back to the spot and.... snapped branch 😞 by this time it is about 1720 and I was not happy. I decided "Screw it, I'll go find a spot on the edge of the field to just sit and watch." I get out on the field and realize the edge doesn't give me what I want. So... screw it again I'm sitting in the middle of the damn field. As if she read thE script a doe pops out of heavy CRP about 75 yds to my right. I ease down to my belly, extend the bipod a bit and let her have it. She mule kicks and heads into the thick stuff. By this time there isn't a lot of light left so I go to the spot to look.....no blood? AYFKM? I search the edge until CPO came to help. I told him to mark the entry and I was just going to give it a look see. 30 yds in, with NO blood, I find her by the grace of God. Seems the 168gr Berger hybrid hunter went straight through both lungs with ZERO expansion. I am NOT happy with that at all. I'll be using Simo the rest of the week. Here is the pics!!! Bonus B&C squirrel......

Attachments

• IMG-20221112-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20221112-WA0003.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20221112_180009.jpg
    20221112_180009.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20221112_164758.jpg
    20221112_164758.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20221112_151855.jpg
    20221112_151855.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Back in the tree this morning. Let a lil button buck walk about 0900. Redman just texted a pic of a nice 8 pt he shot. I'll let him post that joker 😉 weather is clear and chilly.

About an hour before shooting light ended CPO THOUGHT he was shooting at the doe from the "a doe and small buck are headed your way" text I 😬 oops. He got to hang his tag on a lil 6pt 1.5 year old. At keast he'll taste good and everyone is now on the board!!!! Here is a pic of me saying good morning to the button buck!

Today wasn't too eventful. CPO and I sat up on the field prior to light. Just after light we had a doe on the neighbors property that refused to cross the driveway. Then had a small 8 run into the field 50m , wheel around and go back into the CRP. Only thing rest of the day was this guy....

Attachments

• 20221114_144123.jpg
    20221114_144123.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
Posted this in the other thread yesterday.....

Today was a cold and rainy/snowy one. In the 30s all day. I saw a couple of does in the morning but they stayed obscured by brush and branches....teasing me at about 40 yds 🤔 CPO shot a nice nature doe about 1130 so we pulled her out and went to lunch. I went back out by myself and the weather sucked worse. Got rained on (36f) until about 15 min left in light. Then huge wet flakes. 5 minutes later a deer comes out a couple hundred yards away... all I can see is a shape. @#%^&****$$$_&$$%a!!!!! At least there was a Pizza King Royal Feast waiting on me at the house.....2 days left fir me !!

Today the weather was chilly and blustery all day. Hovered right at 30f with a steady west wind. I entered the field on the way to my stand just before shooting light. I decided to sit in the middle again as deer have been coming and going on the edge. Wouldn't you know it, a mama and fawn sneak in my blind spot and as I catch their movement and start to turn the head into the CRP. 🤔 I get up and head to my stand bumming at the early lost opportunity. I'm enjoying the morning in the stand in the middle of an oak stand with squirrels everywhere 😉 About 0930 I catch movement in the exact spot I have seen deer every day. Itvis a yearling doe and I raise my rifle. She has her head twisted covering her vitals and I think "just raise your head"...and she does!! 40 yd off hand shot from Simo and she dropped instantly. I didn't pose her, this is exactly as she laid. I went to take her to donate only to be told to bring her in Friday as the locker was full. So I had some lunch and headed back out. The afternoon brought more snow flurries but no more deer. Still a betty good day!!

Attachments

• 20221116_115153.jpg
    20221116_115153.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221116_101010.jpg
    20221116_101010.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221116_092505.jpg
    20221116_092505.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
There were 5 deer in the hanging tree yesterday CPO butchered his two yesterday. Then we added SFC B doe back in. The people driving around the neighborhood have to be scratching their head😄

I am behind because of some extraneous business on my end but I will go ahead and do the wrap up for IN.

CPO spent Wednesday processing his deer and Thursday I was the only one going out.
Woke up and went outside to a nice little +-1" of snow blanketing everything. Not a ton but enough that would provide contrast in the woods. I got to the stand I had been in most (as it was the one place I had seen deer every day), climbed up and start taking in the chilly (25f) beautiful morning. About 0800 or so I catch movement pretty far down the hill to my right. Without the snow I would have never caught it. It was a couple of does that were moving in a direction where they would go behind me. For some reason they literally stopped, turned and started walking up the dry creek bed in front of me. They kept coming until they were directly across from me in nearly the exact spot I had shot the doe previously. There they took the trail that went straight away from me and into the CRP up top. Through out the morning I had 3 more does come across, all on the same trail in the same spots......all were this year or last years does and it was obvious that none of them were hot. About 1130 my tootsie were screaming so I ran to the house to warm up for a couple and grab some leftovers for lunch. I was back in the tree just before 1400. i sat there until 1645 without anymore activity. At that point I move back to sitting in my spot in the middle of the field to try and catch golden hour edge activity. With about 10 minutes left in shooting light I had 2 does work out the edge to the left of me that had no idea I was there. Time expired and so ended my shot at a buck in IN this year. A little bitter sweet but I am good at passing on smaller bucks this year. I remote started my truck and headed in that direction across the fields. As I got closer to where I could see my truck I wondered why the headlights were on.....usually it is just the markers? I finally struck me that there was another truck parked behind mine. I wondered if Joel may have stopped by but as I heard a greeting from an unfamiliar voice I knew it had to be an Indiana Conservation Officer. He asked if I had permission for the land and I showed him my slip and pulled up my license on my phone to show him as well. He checked them and then we had a nice pleasant chat about me living in CO, hunting in general, the deer I had already checked in etc. before I headed to the barn. I got to the house, changed clothes quickly and Joel, Casey and I headed to a great dinner at a pub. The morning found me up and on the road at a reasonable hour. I already miss my Hoosier homeland :/

Here are a couple pics of the ladies I saw that last day.

Attachments

• 20221117_082133.jpg
    20221117_082133.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221117_082150.jpg
    20221117_082150.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221117_083739.jpg
    20221117_083739.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics