Caribou Gear

September blues

T Bone

September finds me without a big game tag in my pocket. So I make the best of it and walk old logging roads powdering blue grouse with the bulls bugling.

Sadie the lab thinks it's the best fun.

No good colors yet, as there has not been a hard frost.

Sorry to hear about your lack of tag, I bet that good looking lab isn't complaining though:D

Nice pictures. Looks like a beautiful place to hunt grouse for sure. I think Henry wishes I didn't have big game tags.

Yeah, it's a unfavorable consolation prize to have to hunt tasty blues, in the high country, with your best bud.;) Nice pics. By the way, it's a well known fact that the absolute best blue grouse hunting is in CO. I make it a point to tell folks that up here in MT all the time:D. I have antelope, elk and deer tags to get filled so my dogs will like me again..............

Attachments

• IMGP0001.jpg
    IMGP0001.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,098
Have hunted your neighborhood three years running, will miss it this fall. Thanks for the photos, looks like a great time!

Onpoint,

Is that a GWP or griff? Great looking dog. This lab is a natural on birds, but I sure do miss a good solid point.

One odd thing is that here in Colorado they call blues dusky grouse. I asked a GFP biologist about that and he thought dusky is a subspecies of the blue. I dunno, they sure are a hoot to hunt!

Her mom is a Griffon and dad was a chocolate lab.

As for the bird names, science decided that blue grouse consist of the interior "dusky grouse" and the coastal "sooty grouse".

Dang T, I thought there'd be a BB King tune on this thread. ; )

...cool pics. You gonna do an over the counter season?

One odd thing is that here in Colorado they call blues dusky grouse. I asked a GFP biologist about that and he thought dusky is a subspecies of the blue. I dunno, they sure are a hoot to hunt!

Blue Grouse was split into two species a few years back, Dusky Grouse and Sooty Grouse. You certainly have a nice backyard down there.

public land.....a big part is city property, the other is FS and BLM.

Elk were bugling until about 10 am, we saw two bow hunters cruising on ATV's unaware of how much opportunity is there if they just turn off the machine.....it still surprises me.

I'm so jealous. Have seen a lot of birds this summer, but the Forest Service won't let me carry my .410 in the truck. Hmmm.

public land.....a big part is city property, the other is FS and BLM.

Elk were bugling until about 10 am, we saw two bow hunters cruising on ATV's unaware of how much opportunity is there if they just turn off the machine.....it still surprises me.

That's awesome! Have you been out lately? I have always noticed it's harder to find them later in the season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back