Caribou Gear Tarp

Senator Gardner Telephone Town Hall

Anyone know how these things work? I know Steve Daines is having one tonight as well. I'm currently working, otherwise I would be calling in.

Anyone know how these things work? I know Steve Daines is having one tonight as well. I'm currently working, otherwise I would be calling in.

You sign up and they call your phone and you just hope to be lucky enough to get chosen to speak on it basically. I tried one with one of my congressman but didn't make it on.

Isn't Gardner one of the few pro public land Republicans?

He is, but its always good to voice opposition to the transfer and to thank those who oppose it. If nothing else send a message saying you are glad he wants to keep our lands public and ask him to continue to oppose the transfer of public lands. Thank him.

Totally agree they need to be commended. By my count there are only 2 Republicans in the Senate against PLT. Need more, badly. Unfortunately I think our best hope is Zinke and Trump going against Congress and riding it out until the Democrats figure out their middle America problems and win elections again. And yes, I am a conservative saying I want Democrats to win. Barf.

Last edited:
I was called, out of the blue on a Tuesday night, to participate in one of these with my congresswoman. Even though it took me by surprise, my wife and I dropped everything to be involved. I really wanted to ask about her (Jaime Herrera-Beutler) stand on public lands, especially since she's a republican and to lay out the vast reasons why the PLT is an outrage. I never got the chance. My advice--sign up to speak as soon as you get the call. I waited a couple minutes and so was not given the opportunity. I think they run those meetings on a very tight schedule. As soon as the hour was up, congresswoman Herrera-Beutler was out.

I ran into Senator Gardener randomly at a coffee shop in Grand Junction last year and told him I knew it wasn't easy to go against his party platform and thanked him for his support for public lands. His demeanor changed instantly, like being thanked for something was totally unexpected and out of the norm. I think it's as important to back up and support our representatives when they get things right as it is to light them up when they're off course. In fact, it might do even more good if they could see the same guys patting their back most of the time setting them straight once in a while. Aren't we all that way?

It's worth pointing out that Senator Gardner dropped the ball on the BLM Planning 2.0 vote, before getting too effusive. It's been repeated often, but denying the land management agencies the wherewithal to properly manage public lands is a big piece of the equation that ends with reduced access, less wildlife, or outright transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back