Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

semi auto shotgun

slamdmini

im getting my wife semi auto shotgun. shes a pretty petite thing so its gonna be a 20 gauge, and thats what shes used to shooting anyway. just wondering what gun you guys would recommend? shes shot numerous ones and as long as its an auto shes okay, shes just not a huge fan of the pump. any help?

IIRC, both Franchi and Stoeger have the same mechanism in them as the Benelli (all owned by the same company) and a much lower cost. That's where I'd be looking, especially the Franchi, as it comes in a weight that I think is suitable for a 20ga.

I would look at the Browning and Winchester guns if you want to shoot American. Remingtons are good guns, but I have had some bad experiences with them, and I think the Browning/Winchesters are a little smoother.

Otherwise, I think the best auto made is a Benelli. I have been shooting an M1 Field for 12 years, and it is a beast, the gun just refuses to quit. In one instance, I was wader hunting ducks and hit a soft spot and went in over my waders. I shoved the but of the gun into the muck to extract myself (only about 6 inches of the barrel was out of the water), and managed to get myself out of it. 2 Minutes later (after shaking the water out of the gun) I pass shot a nice woodie drake.

Beretta makes about the softest recoiling shotgun I have had the pleasure to shoot. I picked up a Beretta 3901 women/youth gun a few years ago for my wife and kids (someday) to shoot. The gas system works really well to reduce the recoil.

Its actually real easy to beat a Remington.

I've got a Beretta 391 Urika. Its a very good gun. Nice and light too.

TriStar makes an excellent little 20 ga. semi-automatic and the price is unbeatable. I normally use a Remington 1100, and have never, ever known of anyone who has had a problem with theirs. I know I've never had any with mine. I am now letting Travis use my Beretta, but since it's limited to only 4 shells, it can come out a bit short in the swamp. When I'm hunting in a more open space, such as some of the plantations, I usually carry my Mossberg 935, just for the more extended range. I also have a Browning A-5, but don't use it very often, simply due to it having a wooden stock; and since I'm usually in several feet of water I prefer the synthetic stocks. BTW, I'd give anything if I could afford one of the new A-5 Browning versions, but at over $1300.00, it's a bit too pricey.

Beretta's are really hard to beat, I've got a couple that have been absolutely great guns.

im getting my wife semi auto shotgun. shes a pretty petite thing so its gonna be a 20 gauge, and thats what shes used to shooting anyway. just wondering what gun you guys would recommend? shes shot numerous ones and as long as its an auto shes okay, shes just not a huge fan of the pump. any help?

What will it be used for?

Forget a brand and go to a place with the biggest selection as most of the brands mentioned are very good BUT it has more to do with FIT then anything. Each gun will be a little different and one will fit her better then the rest. That would be the one to go with. Check her eye dominance and go from there. Have her shoulder the gun quickly like she would in the field and see what one comes up the best. She should not have to even look down the barrel to the sights. If she is shouldering the gun well, one will just be there for her and she will have a better chance at hitting her target. Have her practice quick shouldering with another gun so she gets the hang if it then can be a better judge of what one fits her best. Older wooden stock guns may be a good option as they can be cut to fit her with very good recoil pads so dont give up on those old A5's. I have one for my son. We still have the original good stock but found a cracked stock cheap. Fixed it and cut it to fit him and he shoots it very well. With the A5, just make sure it is a Japan barrel for shooting steel.

My favorite is Beretta, I own several and the 391's are fabulous. I like Remington and shoot and own several Remington's as well. I think the Remington's can be a little too heavy for a petite shooter. The Franchi suggestion would definitely be one to check out.

I am not familiar with the current Browning and Winchester but wouldn't trade my Auto 5's, Model 12's or Super X's.

She should get the gun that fits her the best and points where she looks. I would shoulder and try to shoot a bunch of them. I bought a SX3 Winchester in 12 gauge and love it, 5000 shells through it without a jam, low recoil, fits great, shoots at -20 zero. They make a 20 gauge and have heard great things about it. I think you could get one for $719.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/95126604...ng/WINCHESTER_SX3_COMPACT_FIELD_20_GA_SAL.htm

I would stay away from Remington, I believe their shotgun quality has gone down hill in recent years. I think the versa max is a good auto but only in 12 gauge I believe and over $1000. My second choice would be Beretta.

Last edited:
Back