Selecting a MT. FWP Director

When I purchase anything I usually compare more than one option and total price is always a factor.

That's fine. The quality of the experience is the most important part of the hunt for me. I'm assuming people who were hunting Montana before the price increase were doing so because they were enjoying themselves. Not sure how $200 changes that.

If the director of the Montana FWP had absolutely nothing to do with or no involvement in native montanan tags or big game tag pricing then I stand corrected. Seems like the director of FWP might at least play a small role in the process but I could be wrong.

I never said anything about the native tags. I honestly do know much about them. However, he had no control over I-161.

If having leftover big game tags and piles of returned elk tags was the goal of the new NR pricing plan residents voted for then I stand corrected as well. If canibalizing the NR combo tag sales by selling former residents cheap big game tags was part of the plan for native Montana tags then I stand corrected there as well.

I don't know what the goal was, but I voted for it based on principle. I felt that people like yourself, my father, and other nonresident friends should be able to draw a tag just as easily as anyone else. Even if that meant they had to pay a little more.

Unsold/leftover NR combo tags don't cost the state $?
Returned/refunded elk portions of NR combo tags doesn't cost the state $?
Selling Non Residents cheap native Montanan tags instead of regular big game combo tags doesn't cost the state $?

That's not what I said or what I thought you meant in your previous post. My point was that the state didn't lose money by changing the price of the tags. Even though fewer are being sold, the state is receiving the same amount of funds from those licenses based on the increased price nonresidents are now paying. I'm with you though. I think the folks running the motels, gas stations, and restaurants would prefer having more hunters, but license revenue hasn't changed (at least I don't think so, but I may be wrong).

Cowboy is right, it's simple supply/demand economics and other states are winning the business that MT loses. What other state has leftover general elk tags? I know WY sure doesn't. Heck the state of CO has hunt planners available to help and pays hunting TV shows to promote thier elk hunts.

The objectives for each state are different based on a variety of things. While Colorado's approach may work in Colorado, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly in Montana.

Heck the state of CO has hunt planners available to help

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/

What makes you think promoting elk hunts similar to CO wouldn't work in MT? Much longer season, less 4 wheelers, less competetion, bigger elk. Should be an easy sell.

Big difference in a website to click and see units, seasons, etc.. like most if not all states have including MT and a dedicated phone # to call and speak to a live person like what CO uses to market thier elk hunts. Same with CO sponsoring TV shows and using TV hunters to promote their DOW and hunting opportunities. Selling elk tags is a competetive business between states and ID and MT seem to be behind the learning curve as they seem to have the most leftover tags. I know it can't be that a tag for a week long hunt in CO is better than a tag good for nearly 2 months of hunting in MT is it?

Behind every great player is a great coach, and our Hunt Planners are some of the best. So whether you have a question about a Game Management Unit, explaining hunt codes or want to know what the weather on the Western Slope is like in mid-November, our Hunt Planners are ready to guide you through the planning process.

Give ‘em a call at 303-291-PLAN (7526)

Last edited:
What makes you think promoting elk hunts similar to CO wouldn't work in MT? Much longer season, less 4 wheelers, less competetion, bigger elk. Should be an easy sell.

You answered your own question.

Big difference in a website to click and see units, seasons, etc.. like most if not all states have including MT and a dedicated phone # to call and speak to a live person like what CO uses to market thier elk hunts. Same with CO sponsoring TV shows and using TV hunters to promote their DOW and hunting opportunities. Selling elk tags is a competetive business between states and ID and MT seem to be behind the learning curve as they seem to have the most leftover tags. I know it can't be that a tag for a week long hunt in CO is better than a tag good for nearly 2 months of hunting in MT is it?

Behind every great player is a great coach, and our Hunt Planners are some of the best. So whether you have a question about a Game Management Unit, explaining hunt codes or want to know what the weather on the Western Slope is like in mid-November, our Hunt Planners are ready to guide you through the planning process.

Give ‘em a call at 303-291-PLAN (7526)

We have plenty of biologists and wardens who are more than willing to answer your questions. I don't see the value in hiring someone specifically to field your calls unless the state just wants to be able to say they cater to nonresidents. It's a waste of money in my opinion.

You said "While Colorado's approach may work in Colorado, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly in Montana" Why?

You answered your own question.

We have plenty of biologists and wardens who are more than willing to answer your questions. I don't see the value in hiring someone specifically to field your calls unless the state just wants to be able to say they cater to nonresidents. It's a waste of money in my opinion.

Actually I didn't, I told you why I thought it WOULD work. Now you tell me why you don't think it would since your the one who said " While Colorado's approach may work in Colorado, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly in Montana." Why?

Why is it a waste of money to have hunt palnners available for hunters to talk to like Colorado does?

IMO your version is like a ford dealership saying there are mechanics and engineers that can tell customers about the cars and we don't need salespeople to talk to them.

IMO your version is like a ford dealership saying there are mechanics and engineers that can tell customers about the cars and we don't need salespeople to talk to them.

You would really rather talk to a car salesman than a mechanic or engineer? If that's the case, there's no point in continuing this conversation.

You would really rather talk to a car salesman than a mechanic or engineer? If that's the case, there's no point in continuing this conversation.

I really like how you compelety avoid answering any questions about the idiotic statements you make. Makes you look like a complete fool. "It may work in Colorado but it won't here in Montana" What a dumb {EDITED BY MODERATOR} statement.

wyoming556, your poor spelling and the use of vulgar adjectives significantly dilutes your otherwise good questions. This forum and those who use it deserve better, Knock it off!

Interesting. not the first time I've seen those types of words used on the forum and never seen them edited like that. Won't happen again and you can bet the next one I see I will be happy to point out.

Hey MD,

I've got an thought. Why don't you run down to Mr. Billion who I believe owns a dealership there in Bozeman and tell him you have a great idea to fire all the sales people and have mechanics and engineers in the showroom to sell cars. I'd pay money to see his response to your "great" idea.

Obviously you didn't take a marketing class in college or you would understand that Colorado is one of the best if not the best state at marketing thier hunting opportunities and selling elk tags. Montana is severly behind the curve and seems to be happy with piles of returned and leftover elk tags even though I think they have a much better product or "elk hunt" to sell non residents. Keep voting and believing the way you do and states like Colorado will be happy to take the business Montana loses every year. Colorado DOW and all the local businesses who profit from their work will laugh all the way to the bank. Game wardens and biologist for the most part don't have the people skills or incentives in thier paychecks to give a crap is somebody buys a tag and comes to MT to hunt elk. That is why Colorado has started using hunt planners/sales people to sell more tags and increase non resident revenue in the state. Those non residents dump piles of money at bars, motels, gas stations, meat processors, etc.. and Montana is hurting thier own economy by doing a poor job with managing the non resident hunting opportunities in the state IMO.

Heck Colorado is paying Montanans to market their DOW and elk hunting opportunities on hunting TV shows like OYOA, what do you think about that? Propably wont work either? Laffin.

I'd still love to hear why you don't think that approach will work in MT, or have you figured out you are wrong and don't want to admit it?

wyoming556, thanks for upping your civility. (After almost thirty years in the US Army and Montana National Guard, to include a couple of tours flying helicopters in VietNam, believe me, I recognize the use of the F-word as an appropriate expression! There's a time and place ... it isn't here.)

I happen to agree that Montana could do a much better job marketing the great hunting opportunities here. Since the increase in NR tag prices it would have been a good thing. I think there is potential to sell out the tags and gain alot more revenue. I would support using that revenue to improve the Block Management Program for NRs as well as Montana hunters and to work on fixing hunter-landowner relations problems.

Back on topic, does anyone know when Gov Bullock will appoint the new FWP director?

Interesting. not the first time I've seen those types of words used on the forum and never seen them edited like that. Won't happen again and you can bet the next one I see I will be happy to point out.

Not all that interesting. When I find them, they get edited. Usually the entire post gets toasted, but I left the rest of yours up there, as it did have some context to the debate you were having this afternoon.

Pretty simple and not interesting at all.

Someone sounds like they're still at little upset about the Wisconsin game. Lighten up. You're starting to sound about as rational as Rhomas.

Someone sounds like they're still at little upset about the Wisconsin game. Lighten up. You're starting to sound about as rational as Rhomas.

Nice try but I'm not a Husker fan or a racist like rthomas so once again you are wrong, imagine that.

Dodging/avoiding answering the question just makes you look like you know you are wrong and won't admit it.

Why don't you make your point instad of avoiding backing up your claim of "What works in Colorado won't work in Montana" and "There is no need for hunt planners/sales people you can just call a warden or Biologist"?

Obviously you didn't take a marketing class in college or you would understand that Colorado is one of the best if not the best state at marketing thier hunting opportunities and selling elk tags. Montana is severly behind the curve and seems to be happy with piles of returned and leftover elk tags even though I think they have a much better product or "elk hunt" to sell non residents. Keep voting and believing the way you do and states like Colorado will be happy to take the business Montana loses every year. Colorado DOW and all the local businesses who profit from their work will laugh all the way to the bank. Game wardens and biologist for the most part don't have the people skills or incentives in thier paychecks to give a crap is somebody buys a tag and comes to MT to hunt elk. That is why Colorado has started using hunt planners/sales people to sell more tags and increase non resident revenue in the state. Those non residents dump piles of money at bars, motels, gas stations, meat processors, etc.. and Montana is hurting thier own economy by doing a poor job with managing the non resident hunting opportunities in the state IMO.

Heck Colorado is paying Montanans to market their DOW and elk hunting opportunities on hunting TV shows like OYOA, what do you think about that? Propably wont work either? Laffin.

I'd still love to hear why you don't think that approach will work in MT, or have you figured out you are wrong and don't want to admit it?

And Colorado elk hunting SUCKS for resident hunters! We get very short and extremely crowded seasons for all that marketing. We also will never have a Block Management type program here because of all the outfitters and nonresidents tying up all the land at rates the State could never match if it wanted to. Thats the cost we pay for OTC tags for all.

Montanans should try to hold on to what they have up there, they got a good thing going. I have a buddy that recently moved up to Helena and he said there is no comparison to the quality of huntng (and fishing).

Colorado is a great State to hunt if you're a nonresident coming here for a weeks vacation, but not so much if you live here.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwdrx
Back